Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb Position on Mock Up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LSR 2909, Sep 16, 2019.

1. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I know I want my carb as level as possible but, is there any acceptable tolerance?
    Mine is leaning forward @ 2 degrees.
    I would rather not raise the front of the engine, if I didn't have to.

MY APOLOGIES
    I should have been more specific the first time around.
    This is a Ford flathead with a torque tube rear end

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Can you lower the trans some?

3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The general thinking is that if the engine runs downhill at about 3 degrees, your carb pad will be level, but you can't trust that 100%. Set your engine 3 degrees down and let the carb be where it is unless it is really crazy, like 10 degrees. Also, use a flat surface like the cylinder head gasket rail or a flat spot on the head or block, anything that is 90 degrees to the crank. Never trust the carb pad.

Good luck, -Abone.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

For a stock carb and base, it should be horizontal with rear of engine at approx 3 degrees down. Check you pinion up angle so that it corresponds and make sure body/frame is set up at ride height with any rake etc, save more issues later. Check that it's level lengthwise and width wise when installed. Correct setup allows the carb to sit level to keep the jets submerged as well as prevent fuel slosh into the engine. Last you want is a wedge to get the carb level like what was used in boats.
    Pinion.jpg

Sporty45 and Boneyard51 like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You could also make a wedge spacer to tilt it back to level.

Just Gary and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. Mimilan

Mimilan

Why don't you tinker with the float level instead?

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Having mismatched U-joint angles isn't a good idea, let alone float issues. Make the effort now and set it up correctly at mock up stage, that way you won't have to deal with other issues later when they emerge. They use angled spacers on roundy roundy to level engine side to side when it's under heavy load and cornering.
    Uni joint angle.jpg

Sporty45 likes this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Yep we all know cars won't go up and down hills without fuel sloshing about and spilling. Must be why all the people in San Francisco walk and ride bicycles...and you can't drive up a mountain slope ....oh , that's right , this is the internet ...!!!

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Never say never. Edelbrock used to publish engineering drawings of their intakes and quite often the carb pad was machined at an angle, presumably to compensate for how an engine sits in the chassis.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Depending on intake, carb pad angle ranges from 3 to 5 degrees. The intake angle locates the carb horizontal to compensate for the angle of the engine / transmission in the frame, that's all. In your case if it's 2 degrees off the horizontal and down at the front, the engine angle down at the rear is 1 to 3 degrees. A couple of degrees isn't the death of anything but why reinvent the wheel. Manufacturers spent $M on R&D, IMO why not take advantage of that. Plus you need angle for the universal joints to work correctly and prevent brinelling of the bearings. I've been in cars with strange harmonics attributable to poor set up issues.

WB69 likes this.
  11. eicke

eicke

Doesn't come into l
    Pinion angle doesn't come into play with a torque tube.

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app