Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Just ordered your DVD, Thanks for making it.
    Like what was said above, please keep posting, would like to post some of my efforts on my 27
    after i study under your teaching so you can tell me how i screwed up :)
    Thanks
    Joe

2. I, too, hope you continue to share on this thread/board. You're extremely talented at what you do AND you have the ability to teach it. Many people at best only have one of those skills.

3. atch

atch

x2

Many of us have neither.

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I had a lot going on and when photobucket removed all the photo from this thread it was the last straw. I have not been in a position to spend time on forums hence no updates. I have however been working on the T as and when I could manage to find a few hours. I still haven't finished the dam thing but it is getting close. If people are interested I will update the thread as and when I get some time. Meanwhile I posted a video on YouTube the other day which shows me forming some of the panels for the body. Here is the link to that video.This is probably going to go down as the longest running build on the hamb.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sorry having trouble putting up the link.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Yes we would love to see the photos from here on out. The Photobucket debacle is a shame, but install the new photos right on the thread (choose full size when you upload them) and they will be here forever.

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Yes, David...please show some progress.
    Your work is always inspiring.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

One more vote for you to continue posting on this build. Always nice to see how it can be done. Even when I'm not going to scratch build a body it;s fascinating to see that it isn't smoke and mirrors, it's a skill that can be learned.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Count my vote, too, for you to update this thread! Love your work & your videos.

10. Heck yeah David!

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. +1

Walt
    Outsiders CC

12. OFT

OFT

Enjoy to see how it can be done. My skill level is not that good, but I'm learning from your build David! Please add pictures/comments as you go forward.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Longest running ? Not likely :D
    My build thread started in 2010 and 75 pages later I’m almost done :D

There are other long running build threads , the modified Murray comes to mind.

14. hasty

hasty

Yes please - looking forward to the updates!

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for the replies. a little disclaimer - I made this compilation video from several short videos that I made for my business facebook page. These were made to advertise my business. I said this in my intro on the video. There is some clips of me working on several of my T body panels in the first few minutes. I hope you enjoy the video. Here is the link.

brEad, 1952B3b23, alchemy and 4 others like this.
  16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bloody good! Glad to see you're back!

17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Good to see that all you guys are still on the forum and that you are still interested in seeing the T progress. I have made quite a bit of progress but it's not finished yet. I was let down badly by someone I gave a hell of a lot to, this meant that I had to concentrate on my business rather than my hobbie. I didn't want to give up on my hot rod but it had to take a back seat. I still don't have much time to work on it but I aim to see it through. I will post photos when I get a chance. In the first few minutes of the video above I show me working on the trunk inner frame and the outer trunk skin made. I also show me forming the bun panel.

embyman68 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. I watched your video this afternoon. You have a wide breath of talents!

19. Hop2it

Hop2it

David, it's great to see you back on this forum again,your talent is amazing.I have your dvd and learned much from it I watch it every so often, thanks much for your time in posting so much useful information.
    Doug

20. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks guys. I have missed the interaction on here everyone is always friendly.

21. That flanger is something else David! Nice to see you posting again.

Cheers!
    Mike

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

This is the two bun panels I made, the one I made in two pieces which I showed a long time ago and the second one which I made in one piece and can be seen being formed in the video above. The reason I made the first one in two pieces was because I didn't have a very good pattern so I knew if I made it in two pieces I could make small modification more easily to get it right.. Once I had made the first one I could be sure it was right and making them in one piece from that point was easier.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Atwater Mike and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

[​IMG]
    This is the inside of the bun panels
    I needed to paint all the panels I had laying about or at least put them in primer to stop them rusting.

[​IMG]
    This is the panels in (mostly) wet primer.

pitman, GuyW, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I managed to borrow a really good original deck lid and copy it. I made the inner frame as an exact copy of the original. Once I had made a simple buck which worked for the inner and outer deck lid panels I wheeled the inner panel. The dimples or pressed areas along the edge are there to hold the skin at the correct distance from the inner frame. This is identical to the original. I made some simple tooling involving some wood , rubber and a metal male forming piece to create these dimples. the beads were put in on my pullmax and the holes were punched then pressed as I show in the video above.

[​IMG]

Rex_A_Lott, kiwijeff, brEad and 3 others like this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

Your new pics aren't showing for me. Are you embedding them directly in the thread? That is a sure way they will last forever.

27. redoxide

redoxide

Hi Dave good to see you back, providing good honest and reliable information on shaping metals . Your skills are way up there and you are genuinely admired for that and your willingness to share your knowledge .. Keep plugging away on the T every little bit you can get done is a step toward completion.. Youll get there .. You deserve it .. :)

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHAHA! Damn... I should have seen that coming. And actually, I was going to call myself on that one. :D

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH! And I'm ALSO glad to see this going again. Been following along for another build that will take me my whole life to finish. Pictures aren't showing up for me either. :(

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Damn, I put the pictures in a folder on my profile then copied the link to here. I wanted to upload a batch of photos at once. they seem to have uploaded into the folder and I can see them in the thread. What?? I am sure I have done it that way before.