Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for a mouse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Handsome black cat!!! ...Dead ringer for my Ferel cat, Murphy.
    Murphy was abandoned by his mother, 4 days old. Had a HUGE swollen eye, swollen shut. Old engine oil that had leaked out of the Pontiac next door...Neighbor begged wife Joey to take him.
    I warned that baby cats don't usually survive, but it was Joey's birthday (!) and she was adamant.
    Joey gave him a bath in the sink, DAWN detergent...Worked perfectly. Bacitracin ointment in the tube got applied to that swollen eye, 3,4 times a day. 3 days later the eye was bright, looked great.
    Girls at Tractor Supply (where we go for our dog's shots when due) had the solution:
    Canned mother cats' milk! (??!)
    I bought a 14 oz. can, and some eye droppers. Fed him 4 times a day, BURPING him carefully after each feeding. He slept a lot.
    Two months later, (August of last year) Murphy was looking around the kitchen, came trotting out from behind our new stove, mouse in his mouth.
    Since then...NO MICE around the house any more.
    Murphy is ONE good Irishman. Can't keep him out of the water, though...That first bath seems to have made him just love water...Sprinklers, toilet, and he gets in the tub, looking up at the showerhead.

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My youngest sister is 15 years younger, when my mother had her she stayed home for 2 weeks, did not use her car. The dog kept going crazy around the car every time he got into the garage. When she finally started up the car there was a high pitched squeal, I popped the hood, there was dead mouse pieces and nest materials as well as baby mice all over the motor.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Headliner. I've had them ruin the headliners in 2 cars. 2nd choice would be the heater/ducts.

4. When you pull the seats take them in the house, the misses will let you know if it's in there..ha ha ha 20141106_190537-1.jpg

bobss396, VANDENPLAS, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  5. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

After I found mice in my new house, My wife had me put Gain dryer sheets around anywhere we thought they may be. No more mice. They hate that smell. Also peppermint oil sprinkled around keeps them away. They also sell a product at Lowe’s that they don’t like. Good prevention.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm.... MEOW!.... meow-big.jpg

j-jock and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. My ball bearing mouse trap (cat), isn't worth a damn. My neighbour has chickens, and the food attracts rats. I also have a lot of maple trees in the neighbourhood, and the mice and rats collect the seeds. If I leave any vehicle stationary for any amount of time, they will start hauling food up onto the intake manifold.
    I have a couple of rat zappers (electronic traps), and one expensive compressed air killer, (think expensive). They both work very well, but I have been less lucky with the electronic traps, because they don't seem to last long. .
    Bob

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

Funny I started up my plow truck one day and moved it. It had been sitting for a couple of months, and it was warm weather. I walked back by where it had been parked, and there were about half a dozen dazed looking mice on the ground, wondering what the hell happened.
    I had a car that I parted out before I junked it. The exhaust system was clogged nearly solid with their nesting material. It had a straight through glass pack on it, and they made their way all the way to the converter ahead of the "Y" in the system, just behind the transmission. The smog converter stopped their progress forward.
    I started up another one with no manifolds on the engine. Just a brief thing, to rattle my wife. There was the expected flames that shot out of both banks, and then I killed the engine. About that time several mice bailed out of there like it was the end of the world. I never found where they were staying, but they sure got the hint.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Now that's funny...... :D

10. You have to drive your car often enough to keep the human smell in it. It does repel critters. Even if you drape a jacket you wear over the seat, that should be enough. Just keep rotating them out.

11. Dryer sheets work well to keep them out
    So do moth balls

Working in dealer ships I’ve seen mice behind panels in seats and in the hvac
    They suck big time and the smell is awful

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Mice will get into everywhere in a car.
    In my years of car hunting - barn finds - I've found mice nests in air cleaners, carburetors, intakes, dry radiators, exhaust systems/ mufflers.

EVERY place you see and don't see in the interior, trunks, every vent you see and feel air coming from and exhaust systems.
    Got a car fired up after years of not running and blew out wads and wads of nesting that was in the mufflers..

Double check your car in the spring - especially the carb and if a dry radiator.

Big advise - close off every damn hole possible - tin foil balls or tape to block off open exhaust pipes, air cleaner openings,
    tape over carburetor openings. Any damn hole exposed to the outside you see.
    Leave your glove box, ash tray and console open - not closed.
    Remove any paperwork - registration , insurance info.
    Also floor mats, trunk mats - remove those too - less chewable material.
    Leave your sun visors down.

Also in storage - leave your windows open - not closed and don't use a cover.
    Those little bastards are looking for warmth and shelter.

I use a bunch the Tom Cat or D-Con bait poison stations all over my building.
    If you have a dog or cat - best to not use those as it is harmful if they eat them.
    I have neither, so I put a bunch of them in every nook and cranny in the building plus under around my cars.

Windows down - no cover - less chance of mice.

Moriarity and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. After 22 years I lost my best buddie "Sabrina" she just didnt come home one night, Was always a outside cat but ate and slept in the garage. Have had many cats over the years and she is the one that lasted.

20180224_171711.jpg

Now over run by the rodent population, here is what I found in the air cleaner of my OT Burb.

20190913_173620.jpg

Its time to get another 4 or 5 cats for the outside and hopefully 1 or 2 will stick around and take care of this nasty rodent population that has exploded.

I have shot (snake shot) and trapped no less than a dozen pak rats in the garage since Sabrina has been gone.

Miss that damned cat !

14. I have a little feral cat we got at 5 weeks old. Great hunter and he gets all proud and brings the ones he bags to show us. Both my cats will choose going-mousing over eating. They will stake out an area for days.
    chloe-1.jpg 1223-004.JPG

15. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stop feeding the cat.

16. Move out to where I live, Drive up and down Hwy 93. The rotting corpse stench from the chicken grower houses will mask a puny dead mouse odor. I use the one bite poison. A poisoned rodent for some reason don't smell as strong when it rots as one that dies in a trap. Vermin poisoned by the one bite tend to try and reach water and mostly die out in the open. Once they start rotting the juices and fluids soak into anything porus. So removing the carcass doesn't remove all the stench.

17. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Hey! I found the lil bastards!!!! Found a little nest and 2 dead baby bodies behind the drivers side kick panel. Now to get rid of the stank!

swade41, Lil32, Old wolf and 3 others like this.
  18. We can't do that. I think in scientific terms, it is called the sucker gene.
    Bob

Deuces, slack and lonejacklarry like this.