Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 41 chevy coupe ignition switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Sep 15, 2019.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

just got the 235 in my 41! runs grt. . I cut the cable that the ign. wire runs thru . now I need to remove the ign. switch to replace with one that has a starter position , but I cant tell how to remove the original switch . I have the original key if needed for removal . I cant find anywhere its mentioned on the www . how about some advice , before I get out the jack hammer . thnx also cant figure out how to post to tech ??

2. Load some pictures, I'm a retired lock smith, maybe I can help.

3. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

for some reason my laptop wont send pix anymore , and I don't have a clue why .worked good till a couple weeks ago when it wanted to update !!

Dave Mc likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It comes out from behind. Seems like the throttle cable helps hold it in place.

5. Is there a small hole in the face of lock? If so insert key and a paperclip in the hole. Try counter clockwise after inserting paperclip, if it won't go turn on and insert paperclip. The key cylinder will come out.
    Turn bezel counter clockwise and switch will come out of dash.

6. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Here is the one out of my 40. Basically what ^^^^^^^^ he said above. 2 screws hold the housing into the back of the dash. I'd like to figure out if I can use my key cylinder with 12 volts and my manual engaged starter somehow, as I have the original key for mine.

Attached Files:

7. Not a problem. 12volt will use 5 amps while 6 volts would use 10 amps. Current will be half at 12 volts.

Dave Mc and indianbullet like this.
  8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

so 2 screws easily accesible ?

9. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

Ya I didn't have a problem, just have to get under there.
    Thanks Dirt t, I was thinking it could handle it.

10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

got a pic. to dnld. only took a hour ! DSCF4849.JPG

11. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

got it out thnx for all the help . now I find my 8 dollar switch wont fit good . duck tape pun not intended !!

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Bill, there's already a hole on the left side lip of the panel that's just right for a pushbutton. The '49 - '52 pushbuttons fit perfectly.

13. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx , I think mine has the factory choke there , but I think a momentary is what im going to do . the wife says she liked the foot start but I think its a pain and im not sure if the starter will work with the bigger 235 flywheel