Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Baby hemi question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Sep 15, 2019.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

I have a 55 super red ram hemi that I bought from a friend. The engine did run when it was pulled but has sat for quite a while in his shop. It is not stuck. I tried 2 different states on the engine as well as rolled it over by hand. The engine turns decent but then tightens up enough to stop the starter. I can still rotate it by hand but it is tighter. My friend suggested soaking the cylinders with trans/acetone mixture for a while. Question is will this make it spin easier? Since it is not stuck will the fluid run thru??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You might have some light rusting on the cylinder walls that would account for this. Possible some valves sticking......doubt it is bearings....though I did acquire a 289 Ford that had sat for years after an overhaul and was stuck 'solid'. On tear down I found all the assembly grease had solidified everywhere, bearings, camshaft, etc. Once disassembled and all parts cleaned, it went back together with fresh assembly lube and was fine.

I'd try putting some trans fluid in the cylinders and see what happens..... be sure to have all spark plugs out when turning over.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    town sedan and 46poncho like this.
  3. George

George

And pull the dizzy & int. shaft and run up the oil pump to get things lubed on the inside.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 73RR

73RR

If you have a pressurized pre-oiler system you can 'plug it in' where the oil pressure sender is at and avoid pulling the intermediate shaft. FWIW, the rocker shafts get oil at TDC and at 255 crank degrees.

...revised the numbers, sorry for any confusion

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    sunbeam and Hnstray like this.

5. KenC

KenC

Any lube in the cylinders will help. Since yours isn't stuck tight, I suggest just ATF. Add a little with all the plugs out. Then turn it until it gets tighter, manually. Then turn in the opposite direction until it loosens and starts to get tight again. That is to spread the fluid over as much of the cylinder as possible. add a little more and let it sit at least a few hours, longer is better.

Or just accept that it's ruined and let me know where I can pick it up to assist with disposal.:)I have a late 50s truck clutch housing that will bolt to either a flat 6 or early hemi. I'm building a six for my pickup 'cause hemis are hard to find at affordable prices, you lucky dog.

46poncho and Hnstray like this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

You say with the starter does to make more or less than one revolution?