Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WOW Interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Sep 5, 2019.

1. You do realize that this is a Vicky don't you ? Far from the standard Tudor. Only 40,000 total of these ever made in 1930-31.

Colonial Coupe likes this.
  2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Easy on the "OLD GUY" shit, if not for us there would be no hobby

Colonial Coupe and 6inarow like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p

4. Skiroule69

Skiroule69

I used to love CL but gave up on it a long time ago due to dealers abusing the site. Had to scroll through 8,000 identical ads for LED shop lights, side by sides, and new cars before getting to anything good. I discovered FB marketplace and haven't been back to Craigslist since.
    Prices depend on geography apparently. I've wanted a '20s-early '30s coupe, roadster, or sedan since I was born. I keep hearing about how you "Can't give away T or A stuff" and yet folks in my area are still asking glue sniffing prices for what amounts to some rust flakes in a dust pan. All they have to do is label it RAT ROD material and the fact that it's got more rust than a shipwreck doesn't seem to detract from it's value. Then again I live in the midwest, where trends are usually about 15-20 years behind. Lots of guys still think the rat rod scene is the latest, hottest thing. Heck we've probably still got guys painting stuff teal and getting a tweed interior installed! Ha ha!

AHotRod and Squablow like this.
  5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Here on CL you occasionally get a list from a car auction up north.as well.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Just "Who has" $30 - $40 - $60K+ just laying around to buy a old car?
    Yes, I know they are out there, but old Hot Rod's "were suppose to be cheap and fun"

Squablow and 41rodderz like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Just like Nascar I guess. "The haves and the have nots " .

AHotRod likes this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I dunno about what you guys see out there, but I can't find shit for a 49-1962 desirable car that decent for less than $20K. Literally everything has a major, significant issue that would need to be addressed. Loads of driver-quality stuff. The market may be soft, but you're still paying a premium for high-quality cars.

Squablow likes this.
  9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

If its the right car for the right person the price is not usually the problem. The problem is there are a lot fewer right cars and right people out there. Plus many people check the adds online for entertainment. Most of the cars that I know that sell now are at larger shows where everyone is in the "moment" and are an impulse buy. Give them time to calm down and think twice and the sale is gone. Just my take on it having been a buyer, builder and seller for almost 50 years. Larry

10. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'm 41 and a lot of guys my age came up on VWs, imports, and lowriders. We're hitting midlife crisis ages and some of us actually have money. Have you seen the prices on 23 window busses, oval bugs, and Impala ragtops lately? A clean 91 CRX recently sold for $33K. The market is shifting. Maybe I'll finally be able to afford a Nomad, a woody, or a prewar roadster if things continue.

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

^^^ Also what he says. I turned 64 yesterday. I have always gravitated to mid to late 60s styles and early 50s customs. Not a lot of cars catch my eye anymore. And I already have more cars than I need, 10 and 5 are projects that I still day dream about but I do not think that I can justify the cost. And I have the abilities and equipment to do everything except machine work and chrome! And building them to sell never seems to work for me , I always made money on my builds for me because someone seen it fresh and made me an offer I could not turn down. Once they are on the road and loose their new car smell people seem to loose interest or they offer you pennies on the dollar. Larry

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    jazz1 and wicarnut like this.
  12. FordJunky

FordJunky

Lots of interesting stuff in this post. I agree with most of it.

Here are my thoughts, I was born in the 80's....

I think building and driving classic cars is going to become a smaller market over the next 10-15+ years. I can't tell you how many cars I have looked at in the last 5 years that the owner has passed away or very sick and no one in the family wants the car. Some of them are still for sale.

When I go to shows or swap meets there are usually very few people under the age of 40 there that are there with their own car. Usually a couple of people wandering around because they saw it and stopped by and a few that are their with parents, uncles etc. Someone talked about how they get attention no matter the show they go to, that is the case for me too. The reality is most of the people that come up and like my car have no idea what a carburetor is and would likely try to check their blinker fluid if you asked them. As someone who has been selling off a bunch of 80/90's Mustangs the people that like them and want them really don't know how to work on them. Hopefully they learn but that takes patience and they were raised with I want it now mentality.

I grew up with a group of 5 guys that all loved working and building cars, we spent every weekend working on cars. I am the only one that still does it. The rest have had families, and are worried about keeping up with the neighbors with the newest car/phone/dumb crap etc. Maybe they will get back to it when their kids are grown, I would say best case is 1 of them does at some point.

For prices, I do think they are going to fall. That is how supply and demand works. I think in the next 10 years there will be more classic cars on the market then there will be buyers. I think there are some cars that are pretty popular right now A's and '32 but I think that demand is starting to be met. I am starting to seeing some pretty good deals on both, some part of that is the time of year and some is regional. I am not afraid to drive 20 hours one way for the right car so I shop the country. I personally think the cars that will take the biggest hit will be glass body cars. I know I have zero interest in buying or owning one. On the upside as prices fall it might also make them more affordable to people that always thought they were cool so they go out and buy one, then two etc.

All of that being said who knows what will happen in 20 or 40 years, maybe the next generation of car builders will be making these old cars electric. 50's cars have plenty of engine bay and trunk space to put batteries. I also believe that there will always be some number people that appreciate them and want to drive them. They could be here in the US or it could be someplace else in the world.

Maybe some agree with me and maybe some don't, this is just my opinion and what I see in my small part of the world.

For some perspective I like all cars (Not all HAMB friendly), a couple of my current collection:
    - '30 Coupe on '32 rails with a flathead and T5
    - '53 M-100 351C, C4, Volare front end, Ford 9"
    - '65 Mustang Fastback, 289, 3 speed and as stock as I could build it
    - '68 Bronco, Explorer 5.0, 4R70w, ARB up front, Detroit out back
    - '89 Mustang Notchback, 5.0, 5 speed, Paxton blower
    - '94 F150 Ligthning, 5.8, Powerdyne blower
    - '16 Focus RS

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    waxhead and B Bay Barn like this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

"It Is What It Is"

0NE BAD 51 MERC and milwscruffy like this.
  14. atomictrent

atomictrent

I have noticed the trend in bikes AND cars waning in the past decade. What I do is just ride the ups and downs and diversify my steel investments. We seem to be in a low now which is bad to sell, but good to buy.. If you are selling, be patient, be ready for dumb offers.. it's just the way it goes. I never care about anyone making ANY offer, an offer is an offer. You can offer me $10k for my $70k car and I won't get offended in the slightest, I will just say "no". I am shopping for a replacement for my 32 sedan I just sold for a bit less than I wanted but a bit more than I expected and am going to be buying a project or turnkey car soon. Prices are, indeed all over the place and that is fine too, if you have something for sale, be prepared for me to lowball ya! hah

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just happy I'm not trying to sell a Streetrod right now. Their market is totally in the toilet. Even on the auction scene with their inflated prices, most go for way less then whats in the build.

I believe there is still a decent market for quality 50-60's cars. A short time ago I sold a high dollar nut & bolt frame off restored 63 Impala and got my price.

Theres lots of combled up so called patina/mostly rusted /RR's out there for sale that you couldn't give away even if you had to. I don't even consider them as being viable for sale cars.They are just a glut on the market with no chance of ever being sold.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019