Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods running a little weak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ford, Sep 14, 2019.

1. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

hello guys,
    my 1941 ford Flathead with offenhauser heads two strombergs and iskymax 1 seems to be not running right idles fine starts up good but seems to lose power as iam driving like there;s no snap to it. any ideas where to start looking ? and i forgot Mallory Ignition. timing is 3 degrees btdc . i was thinking if the valves are out of adjustment Isky says .014 on intake and exhaust cold? i have not checked that yet.
    thank you for your ideas in advance!
    mike

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Got a spare distributor ? Since you have a Mallory, that's a good place to start looking. Not a bad idea to adjust valves - for many years adjustable tappets on these engines have had a reputation for loosing adjustment. If you don't know last time they were set, then they're ready ...

3. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

they were set about 3years ago and 800 miles

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'd test compression, pull intake, run the valves, then put it together & recheck comp.

5. how old is the fuel?

6. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

the fuel is new and good. if the valves are the issue i should see a difference in pressure?

7. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

is there issues with the Mallory?

8. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

took it out yesterday for a little drive and it seems like it has no power i had the thing floored and not a lot of response ? but when i get it back to the garage and open up the throttle it seems OK. have not had the time to look at anything on the motor yet i will do a compression check. then look at valve settings. isky says that .14 on intake and exhaust cold any thoughts on this?

9. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

looked at the plugs and they look mostly good nice tan color except the drivers side # 8 # 6 look lean really white. thats all the more i did and now will be gone for a week so any more ideas? to look for when i get back i will check.

10. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

OK well did a little checking on the motor.... as you can see the plugs seem to be running a little lean and #7 #8 not at all. so valves seem to be OK set OK plug wires not so good but look at the distributor the spring it is rust and has no effect there is rust all over and they tell me NO PARTS Available. so what kind of unit would you guys recommend as for an electronic one.??? or anyone have parts for this unit mod# 5072101
    thank you!!!

Attached Files:

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Springs are easily obtainable , wire brush will clean that reluctor wheel...

12. Budget36

Budget36

Just my experience, but an ignition problem ( unless advance is not coming in) will generally cause popping, backfire, misfire, If your's is just lacking "pep" that it used to have, I'd be more inclined to look at the fuel delivery/carbruetor.

Happydaze likes this.
  13. pitman

pitman

Yes ... And, Timing & compression come to mind, in order to make power.

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Are your brakes dragging? It’s not always the engine.

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No advance = no omf...

16. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

ok well where can i get the springs and one side of the advance is working. do the plugs look to lean? brakes not dragging. the timing is at 4 btdc initial. and stay with this unit?

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Carefully disassemble the advance mechanism , clean it , google mech advance spring kit , most are sets of 3 pair , by combing pairs you'll be able to find time your advance...
    I saw springs on the bay for $6....

18. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

ok so then what would be the best advance be to set if the timing is at 4 degrees should the advance be somewhere at 22 hundred to 24 hundred total ? i can see it has a blue spring but what is the other? light silver? and still the plugs look to lean to me?

19. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

took the distributor apart cleaned all parts added a new spring ordered new wires touching up the valves, still asking about the plugs any input on them? may need to richen up carbs? or something more, Idea's ???? talked to Jim @ bubas and likes this unit.

20. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Google is your friend , read ....then form an opinion...

21. 4ford

4ford
    from Eagan. Mn

well got new plug wires, and cleaned up the distributor, and reset air gap in distributor new springs. started right up and took it for a little ride WHAT A DIFERANCE in drivability. now if someone has some pics of the wires and how they routed them I could get that little mess cleaned up........just looking for a neat way to run the plug wires on a 41 3bolt distributor, any tricks you want to share??