Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Motor mount question, SBC 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteson, Sep 12, 2019.

1. vetteson

vetteson

Does anyone make an engine mount for the 283 that utilizes these holes (indicated in picture) in the front of the block.

chevy-283-280-high-performance-crate-engine_LI.jpg

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

3. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...check places like speedwaymotors jegs.. every now and then some one will sell one here in the for sale section ...miller

4. 55 to 57 Chevy with a 265 or 283 used those "L" mounts that @dana barlow mentioned. other wise you can use the old Hurst type front mount.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...evy-Engine-Cradle-Front-Motor-Mount,6725.html

and is space is an issue, there are these as well.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Block-Chevy-to-1928-48-Ford-Front-Motor-Mount,3270.html

Both would use the cushions below and need a mount location with a hole large enough for the the bushins to fit through.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Bolt-Through-Engine-Mount-Cushion-Kit,1199.html

these are a common lower mount bracket that is welded or bolted to the frame.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1928-34-Ford-Motor-Mount-Frame-Adapters,77.html

brigrat and Torkwrench like this.

5. Would be easy enough to fabricate .Use the large rubber flathead round cushions,and weld flat tabs on the frame.I read once that the Hurst type can have clearance problems with some fuel pumps so double check before going that route.

Blues4U likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I was just going to mention this so the OP was aware, there can be interference issues with a mechanical fuel pump forcing you to go to an electric pump

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just be aware, if you use one of the "Hurst Style" saddle mounts, UNLESS you use the spacers, you won't be able to use your mechanical, stock fuel pump (And now I see it's already been posted). I happen to have a saddle mount you can have for shipping/postage. Just send a PM. I'm like ARCO-AM/PM, I have too much good stuff! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    pitman, 325w and Blues4U like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you don't use a mid-mount with frt mounts , you should probably use a cast iron bellhousing or a steel scattershield..front mount to rear trans mount puts a lot of strain on the bell area IMO

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. gto66pont

gto66pont

Look into the 50s v8 vettes front motor mount. It used the front holes on the motor and was one piece ran from one side of the frame to the other. Great for eng swaps

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hurst...EBay..what he said..

12. Fordors

Fordors

D58FA3F1-8E6B-46EF-8A0B-4066C77E85F8.jpeg

The Corvette mount will work but looks a bit ungainly compared to the other options, and because it mounts so high on the block it needs tall frame risers for the rubber insulators.

13. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

The Hurst style saddle mount is common. The one I have was made by Advance Adapters I was going to use in a previous project but would like to use in my truck in conjunction with the stock style bellhousing with pads for crossmember mounting. You will need to watch out for mechanical fuel pump clearance. Mine came with spacers. You can also use the “L” style brackets stock to these engines. Others have used the “L” brackets used on ‘32 Fords with slight modification. They had brackets that came off the front crossmember and used biscuits. If you are going to go this route I recommend support at the bellhousing as mounting up front and back at the end of the tranny would put a lot of stress at the engine/bellhousing joint.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019