Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Preservation or production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

A lot of us are no spring chickens. Ever wonder where your car might possibly wind up 10 years from now or 20?.May be on the HAMB under sitting and rotting. Could wind up in the weeds or the back of somebody's barn. I bounced back and forth over the last 40 years between restoration work and street rods. I started out with lacquer primer and I thought this has to be to be some thing better than this. So one day I picked up primer called zincron by Martin Senior. I like the name so I primed the whole car with it and then a lacquer paint job. Later on I found out this was the cats ass for corrosion resistance.This was the beginning of my interest in industrial coatings. Sold the car 24 years later it was still rust free. That was 2006. That cars for sale today and it's advertised is all original. It's not. I painted it so I know..

Your standard production shop paint jobs could last as long but probably not.. Automotive paint jobs done in body shops are not designed to last forever. If it 2014 gets hit by 2024 more than likely will be in the junkyard. So why put a 20 year paint job on the card it's only going live about 10. Something to think about.

2. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

3. alchemy

alchemy

Every project I work on gets done so it will outlast me. I hate doing things twice. If I am doing bodywork I want it to be as strong and clean as factory, and no chance for it to rust out from the inside again. I am a preservationist.

4. I too build to the best of my ability, someone in the future will appreciate me not taking shortcuts and doing sheet metal repairs correctly. HRP

olscrounger likes this.

5. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I was in a local gas station the other day and spotted this. It was in the shop for some kind of repair and you can see the paint really wasn't that old. I said to the a mechanic doesn't that piss you off. He said no I don't care about cars like that I would rather have a muscle car. I can't tell you how many cars I saw at Carlisle like this one headed for the car corral. I'm happy hear there are preservationists out there

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I guess I never worry too much, when you’re dead it won’t matter, the planet has a shelf life and eventually it too will expire.

HOTRODPRIMER and town sedan like this.
  7. Slopok

Slopok

I'm sure Henry could of never imagined his cars would have sustained the longevity that they have endured. He would be proud.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. town sedan

town sedan

Or, if he knew, maybe he'd be thinking "Maybe I should have saved a few more dollars in production. They weren't supposed to last that long."
    -Dave

Slopok and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Or he may have said to himself.... "wish I had invented the small block Chev engine." :D

town sedan likes this.