Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 galaxie windshield gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 351crownvic, Jun 6, 2012.

1. 351crownvic

351crownvic
    from Ohio

My father is the orgional owner of his 62 galaxie 2dr post car. Cost him just over 2 k new, but cost 3 k to have the stainless polished last month... any ways.. He had car repainted and all new rubber put in untill glass guy broke windshield. Found a replacment from a 500 and what it comes down to is the C2AZ-6203110-A gasket will not fit his car. Every one says it does except Denis Carpenter who makes the gaskets. He says it absoutly will not fit and it needs to be a -B gasket. With the current gasket u can't get the tim to stay in the rubber and the rubber will not go completly over the lower lip in the center with out breaking the windshield. You cant put the bottom in first due to the rain gutter on the roof. Any one have a idea where I could find the -B gasket?? I shearched hi and low but to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

2. birdman42

birdman42

Have tried Mac's ford parts

3. 432bullet

432bullet

Mayby ??? Greg Donahue, concours ford parts,Macs auto parts.Dearborn classics, Steel rubber products, Pilkington glass, or PPG glass. I would probably try PPG or Pilkington first for a good product.

4. 351crownvic

351crownvic
    from Ohio

Has any one here put a windshield in a 62 2dr plain galaxy with the rain gutter??
    Dearborn is a no they have carpenter parts, steel is the same concours as well. I will give the others a try thanks.

Correction its a sedan not a hard top it does make the difference apperantly lol

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

5. 62rebel

62rebel

GOT to know what you're asking for with windshield rubber. found out the hard way when i owned a '63 1/2 Sportsroof Galaxie and went hunting a windshield for it. i was damn lucky the yard i bought the FIRST windshield from would take it back when i MYSELF was in the wrong.

6. Billy

Billy

I have a 1962 2 dr post. Last summer, I had to put the windshield in with the top in first. Got my gasket from Dennis Carpenter. Be aware that the newer windshields are thinner than the originals...

7. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i might learn something .
    B.B.

Attached Files:

8. 351crownvic

351crownvic
    from Ohio

They did put the top in first and it broke when they tried to get the bottom in. That was with the orgional windshield. It was done by a profesional glass guy that only does old cars and he insisted it will not fit. Even at Denis Carpenter they insested it wouldn't fit. So the windhield is curently in the car excet about 5 inches in the center where the rubber will not go over pinch weld. IF u try to force it it cracks the windshield in half. It was tried with and with out the stainless steel on the rubber.

Im suprised that u got the gasket to work on 62 Billy. What is the body code of your car? This one is a 62B i believe. When he broke the orgional glass i was lucky to find a 62 windshield in cleveland with the trim other peices and a beautifull grill for $300!! Half the price that california wanted to ship just a windshield.

9. osidebarrel

osidebarrel
    from San Diego

Yes i put a windshield and gasket in my 62. Got the rubber from Dearborn and the glass local. I cracked my original glass as well during instalation of the new rubber. I took my time with the new glas and had no problems

10. Billy

Billy

Well, according to my Ford manual, a 62 Galaxie 500 2 dr post is listed as a 63 model # and a 65A body #. So, I don't know if that helps or not. I am told that a hard top and a post car will take different windshields. Are you sure you have the right windshield? I will tell you it took a couple of tries for the bottom corners to make the turn. You have to pay particular attention to the sides, they may want to "roll" out and I had to take a cotter pin extractor (the pointy screw driver with a hook on the end) to keep the windshield gaskets from curling in. That would account for the bottom not wanting to suck in. Oh, and you have to keep pushing the windshield up so it doesn't drop down... It took many tries the first time I did it, the next time it only took two. There just isn't enough room to drop the bottom in first, it won't clear the drip moulding. I have also found that taping the stainless into the groove is very helpful.

11. Billy

Billy

Hey, Mac's has a part number C2AZ-6203110-A listed for a 2 dr sedan... May give that a look see. I tried to find my old reciept for my gasket, but couldn't find it. Sorry. Good luck.
    Billy

12. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Just tripped over this old post .
    I am having the same problem with my 62 Galaxie 500 2dr hardtop. Can't pull the windshield in at the bottom.
    I have tried a Steele Rubber gasket , Precision and Dennis Carpenter . None of them fit and all of the manufacturers swear they will.
    Two professional glass guys have tried but no go. Even the original glass won't go back in .
    So 351crownvic if you are still out there what was the answer ?

13. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

You might want to try the guys at the Galaxie Club of Americia or the Galaxie page at www.fordmuscle.com

14. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Found the seal that fits, Precision WCRD618 .
    Glass guy got real close to getting it in but the glass would not stay put in the top groove making it impossible to rope the bottom in.
    I had seen sealer between the top of the glass and the seal on the original when I removed it so the glass guy glued the top windshield groove of the new seal to the top of the new glass.
    Going to leave it to set up and try again Monday.
    One of the toughest windshield installs I have ever dealt with.