Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Another dreaded WIW post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Well, it sure sits right. We're both in California. If I were to guess, I'd say around $20K. Me? I'm keeping my Model A, because the current market sucks.

olscrounger likes this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve seen Mr T’s coupe, it’s full of clever details and fine workmanship built around nice sheet metal. The way I see it, a prospective buyer wanting to take it to the next level is looking at that $10-12k paint bill. If you buy into it at $20k that makes for a $30-32k Model A. That’s up there. If it was mine, I’d price it at $18.5 if you want to move it and $22k if you’re willing to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

milwscruffy, Mr T body and clem like this.
  3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Thanks, that's kinda where I was. The only reason to sell is a silly one...... with the state of the hobby and us dying off, the value of all these early model hot rods goes down. I saw it with early restorations..... 100 point museum quality stuff being sold on the cheap by someone's kids after they kick it because the buyers are drying up. That's happening now with early hot rods and since building them is what I enjoy, it affects me sooner than guys that enjoy the drive more.

Thor1 likes this.
  4. Personally I think it's a good looking car, I liked the other wheels better but that subjective. HRP

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Thanks. That's the reason there's 2 sets of wheels..... she likes the chrome spokes (happy wife.....) and the Halibrand style is more my look. It's not like I painted it matte black and painted the wheels red..... wheels are an easy "accessory" to change.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve had those same thoughts. Despite how I feel about the value of my pet projects it’s all about the future of the old car market. I’ve been eyeballing several 1920s Classic cars lately, the prices are way down and the wife and I have participated in a couple concourse events and are thinking of stepping up. Will ‘20s-‘40s hot rods follow? The generation behind us seems to be fueling the spike in muscle car values while keeping the ‘30s hot rods sorta stable in the $15-30k area.
    It’s Halibrands for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

"I’d price it at $18.5 if you want to move it"

Where do I send the check???????

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Realistically 18-22K , it is what it is with today's market.

9. There are plenty of people out there who don't, won't or can't build a rod. But they want a good runner with most of the issues already sorted out. Chances are, the buyer isn't going to be a 70-something-year-old who built his first traditional hot rod at age 14 and has lost count on how many he has built and owned since then. That is a pretty small demographic, in any case. It will probably sell soon enough to a buyer from the general public.