Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for small photo of Studebaker streamliner in old magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36cab, Sep 12, 2019.

1. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am trying to document the car culture in the Cedar Rapids Iowa and eastern Iowa area. One of the cars that I am researching is a streamlined Studebaker that was built and darg raced in the early to mid-60s. The car was built by Jim Pospishil and Dennis Kolda and driven by Kolda. The lettering on the door says Dynamic Balancing which was Pospishil's engine shop. The car was eventually owned by John Lawrence and it sat outside next to his speed shop in Springville Iowa. I was told that a street rodder on his way to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals in Peoria (not the first nationals in 1970 but a later one) saw the car parked next to the building and took a photo of it. He submitted it to one of the rod a magazines (Rod & Custom, Street Rodder?) and they printed it on their page about readers finding old tin. The caption was something like “look what I found in nowhere Iowa!” I would like to find the magazine that the photo was in or at least get a scan of it. Does anyone remember it? Thanks for any help you can give me with my needle in a haystack search!

1.JPG 7.jpg

2. Cool,make a good salt car.Hope you get more info.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well @36cab I do a fair bit of snooping for content for the Hamb but I can say that I have never seen this till you posted it today...It's pretty sinister looking...

I really hope it has survived and you find the details of its whereabouts and at the very least the pics you are looking for...

Thanks for sharing that...;)

Hnstray likes this.
  4. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Hi,
    I remember this car from Rod & Custom. It was shown in the November 1970 issue in the coverage of the first Street Rod Nationals in Peoria. Bud Bryan wrote the article and it covers some of the Early Times guys drive to the Nats. I don't remember there being any more info on the car other than what is in the caption, but it certainly seems to be the car you are looking for.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve Coonan
    IMG_1722.jpg IMG_1724.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Less than 1-1/2 hours since I posted looking for this photo and Steve Coonan comes through! Outstanding! Thank you Steve! The original owner and driver of the car passed away last year. I was telling his son about the car being in a magazine after his dad had sold it and he had never seen it or even heard about it. This is going to mean a lot to him! These are photos of the owners and crew and of the driver, Dennis Kolda, from a newspaper article about them drag racing at NEITA Raceway in Cedar Falls Iowa. Now we just need to find the car if it still exists!
    3.JPG 5.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    R A Wrench, Bob Lowry, jnaki and 11 others like this.
  6. Hope some old rodders around Iowa can help out.

Stogy likes this.
  7. I like that, looks like a lot of fun on the salt...

Stogy likes this.
  8. Really looks like an old Salt Flats car.....good luck !

Stogy likes this.
  9. williebill

williebill

That's badass... hope it still exists !

Stogy likes this.
  10. aircap

aircap

Most bitchin thing I've seen all week!!!

Stogy likes this.
  11. The hell with the salt. I'd drive that everyday, everywhere.

12. 70_Nova

70_Nova

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Is this a Bttt or your still typing...I remember this Stude and its worth a bump just because its so radical...

Welcome to the Hamb @70_Nova

14. 70_Nova

70_Nova

4A325905-B705-4D39-AF4D-E5A41AC19628.jpeg 26C264AF-BA75-4F3B-AB60-55A264A9B0FA.jpeg Granted this thread is from 2019.
    I was also doing research on this car as my dad helped build it back in the day with Jim Pospishl. His name is Dennis Johnson and we’re from Cedar Rapids Iowa. I circled him in the pic. And an article he had from our local newspaper about the XL Studebaker and Cedar Falls Drag Strip.
    He’s very interested in whatever happened with the car and loved these photos you guys had found on here. Was very excited when I sent them to him.

Greg Johnson

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What an intro!!...Stogy Likes...We all share the where is it enthusiasm...I guess it starts with who did Jim sell it to?...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@36cab, I've just placed this quote from another Thread you did on this Stude and this reply contains some disappointing but important details on this Hotrod...doesn't mean its gone however as just because it ended up in a place that recycles doesn't necessarily mean it actually was...I guess your PM issue was directed at Rudedog...probably not computer literate...happens...:oops:

Anyone here know @rudedog699900...He only made 1 post...

WildStude.JPG

:rolleyes:...Here's a shot without the PS bug...

There is another Thread with the same Drag Coupe as the Subject at the link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dynamic-balancing-1965.432118/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Bob Lowry, pprather and stanlow69 like this.