Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '64 t-bird front brake self adjuster kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Sep 12, 2019.

1. I'm looking at the front brakes on a '64 t-bird and there is no self adjusting hardware other than the star and the hold down. Nobody seems to list a self adjusting hardware kit. is the front kit the same as the rear or did this car not have self adjusters in the front? inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks in advance!

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's more than a few that don't care for 'em in the first place. They had self-adjusting drums at all 4 corners in the trucks by '64 though. They can cause trouble when the cable snaps and some gee-gaw gets caught in between the shoe and drum. They need to be cleaned and lubricated and an initial, manual adjustment performed correctly or they will never, ever work.

3. town sedan

town sedan

If my '64 Galaxie was built with them, so was the '64 TBird.
    Problem is they don't work that well and adjusting the brakes still needs to be done. Say maybe once a year.
    Have you tried NAPA, or the other usual suspects for parts?
    -Dave

4. Do cars have self adjusters on front wheels?

5. They work fine if installed and lubricated properly, not so much if put in 'dry'. Use something like this...
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ube/24129/4610159/1970/ford/galaxie-500?pos=8

Note that this isn't caliper lube, it's formulated specifically for drum brakes. A thin coating at all metal-to-metal contact points will do ya....

sunbeam and Texas Webb like this.
  6. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

7. Thanks guys. looks like the front and rear are the same part number. i got 'em at my local. we'll see how it works out tomorrow