Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sun Tachometer (History and Timeline)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 409 for ever, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Would like to get a good time line on Sun Tach. design and dates produced
    I know that there has been discussions on this in the past on here but would like to get some update from the mind trust such as the date line on the Football Tach, --The early 60's tach used in the production cars ie. Chevrolet 409's etc. ,-- Colered line tachs (Blue, Green) -- Front needle adjustment style, -- Full Face tach.-- Two Piece to solid state. Model numbers from FZ to RC
    I have search for earlier catalogs but haven't found any to-date
    I feel that tachs are being converted with mismatched parts and the line is getting blurred on authentic tachs from Sun
    I understand up dating to modern tech but cases and faces should match the era

Thanks for any and all input

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

3. As far as the Impala's go, the 61 SS 409 cars used off the shelf tachs from Sun as there were so few built in 61. They had no redline markings on the face and white needles. The 62 409 cars did have marked redlines on the face at 6000 rpm

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In the late 80's I had collected a few old Sun tachs and sending units but the senders were corroded inside from leaking batteries and the tachs were pretty sketchy looking so I started looking for new ones, I found an NOS Sun EB-9A sending unit at the Portland Swap Meet for $10, new in the box with installation instructions but never found a new tach.
    This was when the musclecar craze was in full swing and 409 stuff was pretty valuable so I sold the sender for $100, I thought I had made a killing, I was a bit out of touch as not too long after that I saw one advertized for $200.:mad: