Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Can we take a moment and remember 9/11

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, Sep 11, 2019.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I was in Troy,Al that morning, with a load of plastic pipe. Somebody had screwed up, I was supposed to be in Opp,Al for my first drop instead of the main store in Troy. I was waiting on them to decide if they wanted it there or in Opp, sitting in the truck listening to the syndicated out of Charlotte NC John boy and Billy show when just before they were supposed to go off the first plane hit. They stayed on a long time after the second plane hit, can’t remember how long but probably over an hour past their show time. I had to go to Opp to get that first drop off, I stopped at a small country store for a cake and a drink, the lady inside was glued to the radio, visibly shaken. Went on and got the first drop unloaded, and headed up US 84 to US45 to Jackson,MS to unload the rest. Noticed I needed some fuel...

The damn profiteers were running the price up! Everywhere the price of gas and diesel went over $5.00 a gallon. Finally found a fuel stop that hadn’t raised their prices yet, so I filled up. Went on to Jackson and got that last drop off, then went to a truck stop to get something to eat. I still hadn’t seen a TV all day, there was a crowd of drivers surrounding the one that was on. I got my sandwich and stopped to watch for a minute. I was glad I hadn’t eaten yet, surely I would have lost it.

The rest of the day is a blur. I don’t think I even loaded back that week, everybody was closed, not knowing what to expect next. It was odd, no planes in the sky’s.
    One of those days you will always remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news.

2. I live 769 miles from ground zero but it might have as well been in my back yard, Americans came together that day. HRP

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first responders are still dying from 9-11. wonder how these guys are doing?

[​IMG]

catdad49, Lil32, Ralphies54 and 2 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Still etched in the back of my mind.... :(:mad::(

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( A very bad day for all.Another image that won`t easily be forgotten was titled"Falling Man".
    Leo

Deuces, Ralphies54 and 49ratfink like this.
  6. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

All planes were grounded, except the Bin Laden family.
    Then there's the good people from Gander Newfoundland.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It happened to all of us.
    No matter where we live.

But I was pondering today, how it must have been for people who were anywhere near there when it happened.

I was imagining what it might have been like if it had happened in Detroit... 50 miles south of where I live.

I think I'd rather imagine something else.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Sad day, remember it to well. Prayers to all involved.

Deuces, chryslerfan55 and Ralphies54 like this.
  9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Can never forget and absolutely must not.

Rest in Peace to those lost souls. To those who suffer the lingering effects of this cowardly attack my heart is with you all. Bless you.

catdad49, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. It was a mess. One plane came down here in Pennsylvania.
    My wife was pregnant with my son, we asked what kind of world is this kid gong to live in? He's a senior in high school now, and worries about school shootings.
    No, it's not the same now and getting further by the minute from innocence.

11. I went to the motorcycle show at the Javits Center in N.Y.C. (The only time I have ever be to the city) the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve 2001.
    We went to the World Trade Center it was so strange everyone was quiet and respectful, the noise of the city seem miles away.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. It is a date that will never be forgotten here in Newfoundland, especially the town of Gander and surrounding towns. All flights that could be were diverted here, and people here took passengers from all over the world into their homes. We here have a strong connection to the USA as we had three American Military bases here on our island. It was a sad day indeed and so unnecessary, created by misguided individuals.

Saxman, chevy57dude, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  13. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Definitely A day I wont forget. I was the opening person that morning. I was a few minutes early arrived at 0545pst. Around 0555 we turned the news channel on the tv in our lobby. The staff as well as first patients just stood dumfounded watching. So many things changed that day. The incredible helplessness we felt as well as the sadness for the loss of life as well as for others' loved ones. My mother in laws Alaskan fire team was deployed and spent the better part of the next month there. My wife and I, were finishing negotiations to go to work in Cairo. Needless to say, we did not go. It was deemed unsafe for us to go over due to high anti American sentiment.

14. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

My sister was in nyc that day on her to see the World Trade Center when the first plane hit. They get stuck in traffic, when the second plane hit, very lucky thank you to all that answered the call to duty that day and since

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

At the time I was wrenching for a living, the KQRS morning show mistakingly reported that a small aircraft hit the first tower so I went to the driver’s lounge and flipped on the tv to see the national news coverage. As I watched, the second plane flew into the other tower and I instantly knew that life as we know it had forever changed. Then reports started coming in about the Pentagon being hit, and another plane going down in Shanksville. Memories of that day will be etched in my mind until the day I die.

16. That part of the world needs to be destroyed. How many times are we going to let them kill people ? And now we have one in Congress. There is no talking with these killers who hate us. I know this will be taking down and it should be ! This is not the place, but I have had enough. Sorry, God Bless all that have died and suffered.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Close to home for me too. Grew up just outside NYC and moved to D.C. about 10 miles from Dulles Airport. Wife and I were sent home, the plane that crashed in Shanksville was headed back towards us. I was thinking of those guys in that plane deciding to take it down today. True heroes Never forget

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Yesiree....was a property manager for CitiBank - we all huddled around on the news of the first one.....left to check on another one of my buildings - when I got there - the other one had been hit......RIP to all that we lost.

19. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I was teaching a class that night (automotive techs) and decided to go ahead and teach it instead of canceling. Every guy showed but one. A few flags walked in the door (one of them is still displayed in the same room in my training center). I was determined to teach a good class and not let the attackers win any more ground. We hung out til midnight or so then went home. Same group of guys are still with me and we often talk about that day and coming to class despite the terrible loss the country suffered. Prayers to all of those involved. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

catdad49, 65pacecar, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  20. David Chandler

David Chandler

I don't think anyone alive can forget that day. It was unusual for me in that I was on jury duty that morning. Otherwise I'd been inside of GE and not seen much of the coverage until it was old news. I did know one man who died in the plane that crashed in PA. Strange thing to know someone, not well, but certainly recall him, and learn that he had died like that. No one deserves a death like that. I wondered what went through their minds, knowing they were going to crash.

21. It was a day that I will not ever be able to forget. I was at work that morning and when I heard the towers had fallen I froze for what seemed an eternity, when I finally snapped out of it I was heartbroken ( unhappy that is). I wondered how such a thing could happen and how the United States would respond. God speed to those who were lost and god bless their families. Never forget.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Toqwik

Toqwik

I remember that day vividly. I was hard at work remodeling a building to be my new restaurant. I didn’t think anything could stop my progress. I had a pos clock radio for music to keep me motivated. I remember the first plane and thought it was an accident. Then the second hit and I realized what happened. Locked the place up and spent the day with my wife and daughter. Thank you all that make the sacrifice to keep us free. You are appreciated in our household.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. indianbullet

indianbullet
    from Ca

I'll Never Forget, I still want an eye for an eye. I was telling my wife today. I don't think I ever felt more American in my life, as I did 18 years ago today.

Saxman, catdad49, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  24. Lil32

Lil32

we were on holidays at a beach motel
    we got up and went for a walk in the early morning
    outside a newsagent shop headlines read "America under attack"
    walked home and wife went for a shower and I turned on TV for morning News
    saw the planes hitting the buildings and thought it was a new movie
    then F_ ck. I heard the newsreader and called wife
    we could not believe it
    so sad
    Prayers to all

25. Saw a segment on PBS News Hour tonight about an area at the 9/11 Memorial dedicated to the First Responders and people who worked at the site who have passed. There are quite a few large layered stone memorials that are to resemble the ramp they all walk on down into and up from the site. There are pieces of metal from the site imbedded in these memorials. They said there will be more Responders and workers passing from health issues than people that died that day. Looked to be a very beautiful area. Deeply saddened me.

26. Deuces

Deuces

get even.jpg
    Waitin' for more payback.....

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  27. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I was a contract computer programmer on Fort Huachuca, AZ. We were locked out of the fort for 3 days, until the Army figured out what to do. The computer system had to be modified to track terrorists. We all worked 7 days a week, long hours, to update the software.

28. Deuces

Deuces

Good job!!!.....

Lil32 likes this.