Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Idle Issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36FordCoupe, Jun 5, 2018.

1. 36FordCoupe

36FordCoupe

Good evening everyone! I am in the final stages of my latest build which is a 32 Ford Roadster powered by a 1950 Ford Flathead. The block was bored .030 over with all new pistons, adjustable lifters, valves, Lincoln-Zephyr springs, etc. I also installed an Isky 88 cam. I am running an Eddie Meyer Racing dual intake with Speedway Super 97 carbs. I am also running the stock distributor with points/condenser and don’t have vacuum advance hooked up because I am running a C4 transmission that seems to require all available vacuum in order to shift properly. Ok... hopefully that’s enough background so on to my issue. Car starts easily after about half choke so I fairly sure timing is close. In order to keep the motor from dying after putting in forward or reverse gear, I’ve had to set the idle at close to 850-900 RPM. I would love to be at about 600 RPM but just can’t seem to keep the engine running at takeoff, stoplights, etc.

I don’t have much experience whatsoever with flatheads and there are very limited folks in my area that can assist. Any guidance/suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

The stock dissy is your problem. They only work with the stock cam and stock carb. Bubba has a good article on them on Ford Barn. You will need an aftermarket dissy or a Chev (points) or Chrysler(electronic) conversion. E mail me at [email protected] if you want more info. I am running a Chrysler conversion in my 8BA.

3. Mmm, do a search here on them (not saying it's your problem necessarily)
    What air cleaners (if any)? Those little round ones with metal helmets?

4. flatjack

flatjack

You need to check initial timing with a light. Guessing is not good enough. As stated you need to get a decent distributor. You're car will be nothing but problems without a correct advance mechanism.

5. backrodebob

backrodebob

I'm also having the some issues, running a 4bbl Holly w/vacuum advance disconnected? if someone can give me some insight it would greatly appreciated or let me know how to get in touch with Bubba so I can look in to his chevy conversion...

6. 55styleliner

55styleliner

The original distributor has no mechanical advance as I understand it. The Load-o-matic distributor only has vacuum advance. They do not work well with any mods.

7. See if you can find a old style Mallory
    Distributor. They look the part and you can install a Pertronix if you want to.
    My 276 Merc has one and is working great.

Sent from my SM-J727V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app