Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Custom SBF A/C Compressor Bracket Fab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69supercj, Sep 11, 2019.

1. 69supercj

69supercj

So I’ve looked online for a passenger side compressor bracket but the one I found I didn’t like the way it put the compressor up so high and it looked like I could have fan clearance issues so I decided to try to mock up my own. I’m not a fabricator but I think what I came up with might work. It’s still in the planning stages but I would welcome any opinions. I would like to make it out of aluminum but I’d need someone to tig it up once I got the pieces made. Steel is an option and I could weld that myself but again I’m not the greatest welder. I hope you’re able to make out what I’ve done in the pics.

Attached Files:

2. 69supercj

69supercj

The two lug nuts taped to the one piece represents the tabs for the compressor to rotate on for tension adjustment and the threaded eyelet represents a heim end that would be attached to a boss on the waterpump that would be used to tension the belt. Sorry for the hokey props but its all I had!

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Personally I'd go steel over aluminum. Tack it together and have someone qualified weld it up. Better still Alan Grove has them to suit SBF, L&R side mounting.
    upload_2019-9-12_9-11-6.png
    upload_2019-9-12_9-10-5.png

4. lake_harley

lake_harley

Oh....I think the Styrofoam will hold up just fine!:D

Actually, I think the plan is solid but rather than cantilever the bottom bracket entirely, use a knee brace to the bracket plate similar to your pen's placement. Also, maybe put a joggle in the plate to have the compressor "straddle" a tube that the pivot bolt would go through. For adjustment, why not a slotted, flat strap next to one of the flanges of the compressor? You could incorporate a turnbuckle for adjustment too, if you go with the rod end idea.

There's more than one way to skin a cat....er....mount a compressor.

Lynn

5. 69supercj

69supercj

I had thought about using a long spacer in between the bottom tabs on the compressor to help locate it but not sure if its needed. Still thinking of different ways to adjust the compressor for and aft to align the pulleys.

6. 69supercj

69supercj

Any other suggestions, let me hear 'em please!