Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ID needed 49/50 Merc part

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Peter Nowak, Sep 10, 2019.

1. E9F288A8-9C4B-4E15-A788-AF43B1F1529F.jpeg
    What is this part called ?
    Yea, the big white thing covering the radiator.
    Anyone know who makes them ?
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. oldsman41

oldsman41

We always called them radiator covers. Don’t think any company makes them we always made our own.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I'd be willing to bet that one was made out of an old Mercury hood, just cut down to fit so it would match the shape of the hood, although I have no inside knowledge of this particular build. I have an extra hood skin I could cut down and sell you if you were interested in making one of your own. It for sure is not a factory part, and would probably take a fair amount of fab work to build, even starting with the chunk of the hood.

4. Thanks
    I have seen this type a few times now and am thinking it might be available commercially.

5. Ya know, it just might be an old hood. The ones ive seen look like fiberglass though.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's intended to hide the front of the radiator and the clutter that goes with it.
    Even on MS Merc that Paul Harper built the area in front of the radiator is a bit cluttered.
    [​IMG]

I'd say that those covers do another thing and that is hide cross flow radiators and direct air though the radiator rather than let it flow over it. I saw one add for a custom 50 Merc that had a cross flow with nothing to direct air though the radiator and my guess is that that one might have overheating problems as more air flows over the radiator than through it.

The stock brace over the top of the radiator also blocks the air from going over the radiator.

Peter Nowak likes this.
  7. Ever seen this for sale ?

8. Speaking from experience, those are home made air dams to funnel all the air through the radiator. I built one for my merc but it wasnt that pretty. They really help a lot, especially if you dont have the rubber seal between the upper stock air dam and the hood.

Peter Nowak likes this.
  9. Kool
    How did you go about your build ?
    I was thinking fiberglass. But dont know about what to use for the plug. Thought of spray foam with the hood closed but kinda of difficult to get in there with the motor in place. Recently was thinking of that florist green foam that compresses. Might work

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. [​IMG]

You can kind of see my horrible fab skills in this pic. It’s the unpainted sheetmetal that runs from the radiator to the upper grill shell. I made a template from poster board, cut it from sheet metal and bent it up. It’s pop riveted to 2 peices of aluminum angle stock. It ain’t pretty, but, neither am I and I don’t raise the hood at shows.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  11. Thanks
    Mine is similar to yours now.

12. williebill

williebill

I'd think Squablow's hood piece would make life a bunch easier.

Peter Nowak likes this.
  13. I like the offer.
    What do you suppose the shipping would be to 95012 ?

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truthfully the white one is the first one I remember seeing in 60 years. They aren't all that common.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app