Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods pulling a travel trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29moonshine, Sep 5, 2019.

1. NORSON

NORSON

In the late sixties my dad towed a twenty-four foot Fleetwood with a '56 Chev 4 dr. six cyl. He added a leaf to the rear springs. an Easylift hitch and changed the rear end from 3.70 to 4.10 ratio. It was a stock 3 speed trans. Seemed to handle it ok, but several years later he switched to a 18 foot Airstream. I think most of the reason for the switch was the difficulty in parking it on the small lot at home.
    Norm

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

3. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

The long haul to show in August , service area parking spaces in UK too small , stopped for a rest in the hottest summer ever , traffic was bumper to bumper and the rad sprung a tiny leak lucky I had some K seal onboard 1/2 bottle cured the leak, temp stayed normal despite the heat / heavy traffic and towing 2800 pounds

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Heck,
    After all this, I would just fling a mattress in the back of the wagon.

Cosmo49 and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

LOL, I have done just that with my truck when on my own , put a tent fame in the bed with a canvas over ( like covered wagon ) but the wife thinks she is roughing it in the old travel trailer in the photo
    our last modern trailer was like a house on wheels (Long long trailer springs to mind )

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

F-1, we actually do that with out OT vehicle! We travel a lot and keep an air mattress, blankets and pillows stowed away. All the seats will fold down and it makes a good bed. Used to do it somewhat often...... but now...... it’s more like only in an emergency! Sucks getting old! When we first got together, a tarp over the back of the pickup was good enough!

Bones

RidgeRunner and Cosmo49 like this.
  7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

lady friend has a issue with sleeping on a mattress in the back of the wagon with no place to go when she has to, + at 70 I need some a little easer to get inand out of

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m right behind you at 68......but I think like I’m 28....act like I’m 48........Gets me in trouble ......sometimes!

Bones

mnjeff likes this.
  9. 29moonshine

29moonshine

that is what keeps me confused I have always been told to act your age, you are to young to do that, you are old enough to know better

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. 29moonshine

29moonshine

thanks for the information so air shocks or air bags and a sway bar shod be alli need ialready have a weight transfer hitch and sway controler

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. Happy trails to you.
    You have brought back many happy memories. I had a 1976 Chev wagon with big block back in the day I pulled an older trailer with. I saw guy at pumps pulling same size trailer with a 57 Chev wagon. I decided I could too. I bought a 1956 Chev 9 passenger Beaumont station wagon. I put in a 383 backed up by a 400 trans with a trans cooler. Using an equalizer hitch we put thousands of miles of family fun on that rig. Still have the 56, but trailer is since gone.