Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I have a 66 chevy carb, came on a 1966 327 300 HP if it'd help anyone. The 462 heads are dated April, 1966.

slack and loudbang like this.
  2. I use dish soap, sugar and no water

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. 59Tele

59Tele

When stripping multi-layers of paint with paint stripper, cover it with Saran Wrap and let it sit overnight. If it's a small part, spread the wrap out on a flat surface, pour the stripper on and then place the part on it . bundle up the wrap and work the stripper around the part. This allows you to use a lot more stripper than just brushing it on. Large areas like a hood just pour it on and lay the wrap over it. Works great.

Fingers, brEad, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When your hands are real dirty, grab some absorb all ( oil dry) along with your hand cleaner. Works great at getting through all that dirt and grease.

Bones

65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you use '35-'36 car or truck headlights and want to convert to sealed beams try using '40-'41 one ton light bezels, they are a little deeper and that hides the sealed beam retainer rings...
    the '40-'41 truck lights look to be leftover '35 car buckets...
    the truck lights are cool rod lights in their own right...

slack, 41rodderz, 65pacecar and 2 others like this.
  6. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C77887FC-EFEA-46B4-867F-2F438DBE4574.jpeg This is pretty obvious but thought I would throw it out there. Drill a hole in the corner of those large solvent cans to get the ounce or so out of it.

7. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

When I drill holes with a stepped drill like this I mark with a sharpie the diameter I need ,so I can see when I get to that diameter,,,it's so easy to over do things an end up with the wrong size hole
    Hope this is helpful
    Cheers
    Pete IMG_6301.jpg

8. error404

error404
    from CA

I made this to hold various size tubing to drill holes in to tubes on the drill press. But it works pretty good for other things too. Even works on thinner cutoffs like this, or even drilling holes into spheres

[​IMG]

brEad, pila38, Six Ball and 28 others like this.
  9. birdman1

birdman1

I use an old lawnmower battery when doing the electrical wiring on building shot rod.

10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Don't tell your wife how much you pay for stuff. Mine went to a high end furniture store and the salesman asked what she had for a budget. She said a "32" Ford budget. I paid twice for that car.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When seeing if an upholstery shop is any good. Take a set of sunvisors and have them recovered. They are the hardest part of an interior to do. If they turn out nice, then they are good to go. If not, then find another shop.

12. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Braided lines? You should now better !!! :D

belair likes this.
  13. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

When I'm drilling holes in panels inside the body I always have a telescopic stick magnet on the job,,I use it to pick up the metal swarf as I go,,,,saves if ending up in your knees if your kneeling in the car,and keeps it out of panel recesses etc,, IMG_6342.jpg

Attached Files:

14. stivemorgan

stivemorgan
    from Detroit

Hi everyone. I am new here. I like old classic cars and despite I don't have any of them it is great to see your projects :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I totally agree with you on this. In one of my last houses, I was the guy a lot of my neighbors came to for help fixing everything. In return they pretty much let me do whatever I wanted. Going out of your way to help others pays off in many ways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chavezk21, Fingers, 65pacecar and 9 others like this.
  16. clem

clem

I see a lot of tips for hand cleaners.
    For years I copied my father in laws idea of using laundry detergent straight out of the packet, with a little water.
    Please DO NOT do this as it takes the natural antibodies off the skin and opens your hands up to all kinds of possible infections.
    We have both had problems due to this.

slack likes this.
  17. Pallograph

Pallograph

Thanks for sharing all your ideas.

loudbang likes this.
  18. BJR

BJR

Put a plastic bag over the magnet. When done picking up the metal shavings, just pull off the bag over a trash can and all the shavings fall in the can and the magnet is clean.

19. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

A friend of mine had a 51 Ford PU that wasn't stock. I watched him put SS round knurled bolts into his drill press and file the knurling off while it was turning. He used the bolts for the under hood fender bolts. Looked great.

loudbang likes this.
  20. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Like it,

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Brilliant. I hate trying to scrape all those little metal shavings off the end of my magnet...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Mind = Blown

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Keep one of those magnetic parts dishes in the blast cabinet to hold small parts and hardware when blasting.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Friction modifier has the most putrid smell of anything I can think of....well, almost anything;) It permeates right through the plastic container it comes in and will stink up anywhere and anything it's stored in. I keep mine inside a glass jar with a sealed lid....stank problem solved.
    20190920_133933.jpg

25. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Tip 1: To stop dropped nuts, bolts, screws and other fasteners from hitting the hard ground a ricocheting into oblivion, put a bin with the bottom lined with foam, speedy dry, rags or whatever on the floor under your work area. The bin should be low maybe 5" high max and as wide and long as possible.

Tip 2: When disassembling a car or some other component where the parts will be stored for a long time a lot of people use zip lock bags. A vacuum food sealer is better. 11" is max width but if you use make-your-own bags on a roll, you can make the bags any length you need. Just cut to desired length and heat seal both ends once the parts are inside. No need to use the vacuum function of the machine though. The seal is stronger than a ziplock, the bags are thicker and stronger and they take to labeling with a sharpie better too. I put all the parts from a given assembly in one bag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy named Wilson gave me a magnet on the end of a bent 3' handle... I call it a Wilson...
    really handy if you drop steel stuff...

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

28. chiro

chiro

When rebuilding carburetors I lay out an old, out of service WHITE bath towel on my work bench. I then put every one of those little tiny parts on the towel as I disassemble in an order that represents their location in the body of the carb with the carb body arranged on the towel appropriately in the midst of the parts. I then take a picture of it all with my phone prior to putting the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, The parts stay put on the towel, do not roll off into oblivion and are easy to see against the white background. The picture makes reassembly go easier. Learned this one from a friend. "Brians white towel method"
    Andy

29. eicke

eicke

Throw a magnetic parts dish in the bead blaster for small metal parts. Put them in the blaster on the dish. Close door. Hands in gloves. Grab parts. Blast. Put parts back on dish. Open door. Get parts. No falling thru grate. Happy days!

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dwollam, drdave, tomkelly88 and 3 others like this.
  30. BJR

BJR

When using a trouble light, always use a compact florescent or better yet LED bulb. They run cool enough so if you splash anything such as gas or oil, it will not break and set the liquid on fire.