Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project Street Snail: '50 Pontiac Silver Streak 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lerenzo Rawson, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Nice twodoor project:cool:. Have you got that big battery mounted by bungee cord :oops: ?

2. Rocky meant to spell it "whaler". LOL
    Maybe a second row minivan seat or SUV bench seat would get you down the road until you find a proper 50's seat. My old OT Caravan i think had a lever where the second row bench would fold forward. To allow folks to access the third row bench seat. Yank off the headrests... kinda like this one. See the lever on the right

https://www.ebay.com/i/303050218495...MI8qv99N_G5AIVhZ6fCh1t2g5PEAQYASABEgI6pPD_BwE

They used to advertise the Pontiac Straight 8 as the "100,000 mile engine" so well balanced and durable compared to the others of the day.

X2 on don't forget about the water in there, you're probably only a month out in Missouri from a flash frost.

Great Ride!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Funny thing, i actually do! Im float charging it to see if its any good, we'll find out tonight. I went back and got some teflon tape, i'll throw that on too. Its still pretty iffy on whether or not it will start every time, it started for about 5 seconds this morning then died on me after the flush. I figured out, all that trim in the trunk is for the interior panels. Hopefully she'll be looking good soon! 20190910_141433.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Use a liquid thread sealer. Too much Teflon tape can give you problems, ie; broken castings.

5. DrewModelA

DrewModelA

I’m digging this car! I love the tube grill. Post some more pictures of the body for us!

Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  6. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

The 50 Pontiac I have has a drain cock like the one found on the bottom of more modern radiators. I can get a picture tomorrow if you want it.

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Find an old "lay down" Nash seat and have yourself a rolling bedroom:D:D

chryslerfan55 and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  8. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Sorry this is taking so long guys. Here are some pictures! Pleas ignore (or roast me) my temporary attempt at 60s lettering lol im about to sant the other side. I rubbed a sanding block in the roof rust the rubbed it on the lettering to hopefully make it look older lol. Hope this is still an interesting build! 20190911_191141.jpeg 20190911_191158.jpeg 20190911_191210.jpeg 20190911_191223.jpeg 20190911_191237.jpeg 20190911_191245.jpeg 20190911_191302.jpeg 20190911_191326.jpeg 20190911_191339.jpeg

9. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Me and the goons have a more permanent scheme in mind, when we have a little more time. I'm planning to add 3 inch cup style spacers in the front to add a 6 inch nosebleed lift! The ideas that google can inspire! What do you guys think? Screenshot_2019-09-11-19-23-23.jpeg

10. Well I’m out...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I don’t know what you’re vape’n but you need to change flavors!

BrandonB and Ford52PU like this.
  12. DrewModelA

DrewModelA

If you are going for a tail dragger look, I’d suggest just lowering the rear, nose high cars tend to drive crummy and you will definitely get you roasted on here.

You could make that a really nice sled with a little patience and some work

Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Towards the paint, the spacers, or the drawing? Lol ny input is really appreciated, thanks guys. I have no idea what i'm doing here. Will the rear drag over bumps if i lower it?

14. DrewModelA

DrewModelA

3” block in the rear should be fine, just depends on how and where you drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

It's your car, if you want to jack it up then jack it up! Don't let anyone tell you what you want or what you should do.
    But here on the HAMB Traditional Kustom forum we prefer them sleek & low so we will try to guide you in that direction.

16. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Alright guys. She starts every time now. We just put in 12 hours of paint and monkeying around the engine to findvout why it wont start. Turns out, the gas gauge is the only thing that doesnt work, so that shoud give you guys some entertainment i just read those last few, thanks for the info! I do like it low actually, it looks pretty nice that way. Heres some pictures after today! 20190912_211517.jpeg 20190912_211605.jpeg

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'd go looking for new front and rear fenders and anoth grille, stock or something else. With that straight 8 nobody will believe it's supposed to be any type of race machine. But a tastefully modded and lowered Pontiac will be different and appreciated. I don't think Pontiac parts from that era would be too pricey. I wonder if similar gm product fenders would fit. Remember that's onl my opinion and it's what you think that counts!

Rramjet1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Take a few inches out of the to
    Make it slick and black
    make it a dependable driver and enjoy it.

20. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

My only critique is I would prefer a little “aging” of the mouth to match the rest of the car. Other than that load up and have fun. My gosh, if your problems are as small as fuel gauge not working you are well on your way to meeting your goal.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Nice car, these orphan rides are sweet. Please DO NOT remove the beautiful stainless trim from the hood and trunk. Easy does it, get it safe and your suspension working well. I suggest you use your factory steel wheels and not waste time putting some goofy wheels on the car. Ol' dad talkin here, have fun most of all!

22. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Dont worry as much trim as possible is staying silver. It really seems to help bring the car together! Todays project is fixing that botched up gold paint .

23. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

We got a bench seat put in, currently we're waiting for a lighting kit as the blinker and taillights dont work. We ran her up and down kearney on saturday, everything went great! Lots of thumbs up and pictures taken. I was told many times that it looks like an old moonshine runners car! I was alsy kindly informed by an older gentleman that the reason it was going through so much water was the pipe that should be going to a radiator overflow tank, so we rigged one of those up tobthe grille. Eventually i would like to get a metal one, those seem to look pretty good up front! 20190916_175801.jpeg 20190916_175816.jpeg 20190916_175914.jpeg

24. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

I think you have invented “poor man’s metalflke.
    Have fun. We’re having fun with you.

25. pivir123

pivir123

Great build! Enjoying it. Just checking, did you change the water to 50/50 anti freeze and water?

26. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Thanks! I did before, by the time i found out about the radiator overflow tube its more like 20/80 water to anti freeze from refilling it. Its squeaking now and showing some signs of needing a water pump, so its off its feet til i can get that done.

27. CBoyd

CBoyd

Nice project. You'll have Popeye arms driving that around town with that big straight 8 over the front wheels!

Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  28. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

So from the day i first looked at it, the headlights, brights, and brake lights ere the only lights that worked. After some extensive searching we just bought a blinker kit that could work, we just have to pick up some new wire. Should be a fun time figuring all that out since the wiring is a mess. Another lesson learned, I guess thats why my dad told me not to buy someone elses project. The directions seem pretty straightforward so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Also, the steering wheel is cracking, i will probably replace it with a Mooneyes California metal flake wheel and keep this one around on the wall. I guess thats my first classic collector piece! I wont be driving it again until i can get the water pump replaced and probably add power steering for my wife, so it looks like theres plenty of time to get these things done. I think also i'm going to change up the paint, it seems like i have no idea what i want to do with it. Guess im just being indecisive lol

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  29. 70377E70-698C-4DE1-BD21-33AAFCB80C62.jpeg Hey, what happened to “War Turd?” I liked that name.

As for wiring, I swear you will never regret an entire new harness. It’s not that hard to do, and you won’t have to worry about your car lighting itself on fire in the middle of the night.

I bought a basic Rebel Wire harness for around $200 and spent a leisurely weekend installing it. Since then EVERYTHING works. It’s a good feeling.

30. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool start, good luck !