Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2019 Banger Thread Cool September Mornings***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Steve,
    something I am working on testing, V8 pump reversed and adapter made to fit "A or B" block.
    J
    IMG_0957.jpg

Dannerr, 97, Crazydaddyo and 7 others like this.
  2. JT1930

JT1930

I don’t know if I’ll pressurize the motor. If I can get away without I’ll do it but if I have to then I’ll have to cough up the $$$$.

3. 97

Ford Garage on Burlington cranks
    http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/burlingtoncrankshaft.htm

I believe the bearing manufacturer is
    http://www.antiqueenginerebuilding.com/Insert main brg.html
    The bearings are made to suit the Burlington crank.
    He says there is no need to pressurise to run the insert bearings.
    Is the crank drilled for the pressure oiling or do you have to drill it yourself?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Just had Bert's go through my A this spring as it was originally built in 1984. The crank has the welded counterweights and the inserts were from a Kabota tractor. It's not pressurized and ran it up to 3500 RPM on a chassis dyno where it produced 60 HP at the rear wheels.

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used the gears and shaft out of the early V8 pump. They are the same diameter as the Model A gears but are longer. A spacer plate is added and the pump base modified for admission of the oil into the base of the pump. I silver braze up the side admission. I add a pressure relief on the pump at 35 psi. I get 35 psi motoring down the road hot and 15 to 20 psi at hot idle. I'll try to post some photos of one modified for the next project.
    I've got one in my latest OHV and it works fine for that application.

Hamtown Al, Jet96 and barrnone50 like this.
  6. rwrj

rwrj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from SW Ga

Took old Shade Tree for a Sunday morning spin. The banger is purring along just fine. Stock except for an old police head, the 1 3/4" SU carburetor, Model B distributor, and homemade dual exhaust manifolds. Found a pretty spot for a picture. I stayed around 50 most of the time, where it feels real happy. Enough revs to pull the little hills we have around here, but not too much vibration, and the wind noise is tolerable. Got a two finger salute from a parade of crotch rockets, which made me laugh.

IMG_20190908_094017930.jpg

IMG_20190908_094138654.jpg

Screenshot_20190908-095533.png

Dannerr, Hamtown Al, 97 and 8 others like this.
  7. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

^^^^Lookin' good!

8. catdad49

catdad49

What a Machine!

9. railcarmover

railcarmover

It has to do with what your looking for..racing? pressurized system not a doubt..street? pressurized is best,but gravity works.

JT1930 likes this.
  10. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

What would everyone think is the max rpm for a rebuilt motor with insert bearings, a Burlington crank, and a non-pressurized oiling system? I have a “touring” cam, but don’t have the specs in front of me. I hear that 2200rpm is peak torque. Is anything after that a waste? What would you consider the point of no return? Can a flathead breathe enough to even get to a critical rpm?

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

what all does the motor have ? ive been wanting to dyno mine . finally found a dyno at a japan car place . thanks

12. Still saving a banger of sorts.........brought home the grey one from a salvage yard........ 20190713_114447.jpg

Jet96 likes this.
  13. Had to go to a funeral end of last week. 350 mile round trip. No pictures because - well, funeral. Y'know.
    Dear friend who we want to Le Mans with, and took his Model A Sports Coupe all over Europe including the Czech Republic.

So of course I had to take an appropriate vehicle and I chose the T Coupe. Met up with a couple of local friends in a Lincoln Zephyr coupe, and we picked our way across the back roads in the Fens. Stopped to meet a few more cars along the way - a '32 Roadster, and the Wrong'un in his banger powered Model A sports Coupe. I'd grenaded a modern starter bendix on the way to Pendine Sands back in June and the same thing happened to the replacement as we went to set off again. Cracked in two and engaged with the flywheel which blew the armature apart. Joy.

No spares, no hand crank, so a push start to get us on the way. Steady 60-65mph plus a few blips up to 70 on the dual carriageway and no other problems, bar relying on push starts everywhere. A fine, but tearful, send off; and a timely reminder to cut back on my prevarications and get my own shit in order.

A curry, and a couple of beers, in tribute to the memory of the fastest man on Pendine Sands with hickory wheels, and an overnight stop before setting off the long way home. Sun, rain, wafts of warm oil. Memories. I'm gonna miss him. And all the daft things we had planned for the future.

If y'can - just get out there and drive the wheels off 'em.

Dannerr, madfish, Old Dawg and 6 others like this.
  14. brjnelson

brjnelson

IMG_2979.JPG
    Dean Robertson always makes the neatest Bangers
    IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG
    Tons of model T’s this year
    IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    Gary finally has his car working after re-doing cylinder head leaks four or five times
    IMG_3001.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    Here is a neat engine prepared by Dan Price, nobody knows what company made this cylinder head but it was once owned by John Gerber in a sprint car from Iowa.
    IMG_3036.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brierly says you're good with that pressure oiling on the rods to 4000 RPM you may run out of breath before that.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting ready for Hot Rod Hill Climb in Colorado....leave tomorrow IMG_20190907_182318452.jpeg

17. brjnelson

brjnelson

IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3037.JPG
    No matter how I drive it I always seem to get about the same numbers, usually around 10.4 @ 50 mph every year.
    I should have tried to start in 2nd gear and shift to high 2nd, on a few runs, it is hard to shift a V-8 trans fast on the 1 to 2 shift.
    When only racing a 1/10 of a mile, by the time I am ready to shift to 3rd the run is over.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Some nice looking bangers there @brjnelson. I saw that yellow/orange T and the white one with blue wheels at the dirt drags. I got my issues worked out and we are leaving for Central City on Thursday morning. Driving the coupe down to the hill climb for the second year! we are going to be traveling with several other people too. Makes the drive more fun!

Jet96, brjnelson and winduptoy like this.
  19. brjnelson,

Chances are that Gerber made the head himself, or bought/borrowed someone else's patterns and tweaked them to his liking (Gerber knew Alexander pretty well and bought one of one of his patterns originally made for the Chevrolet Bros)- his book, Outlaw Sprint Car Racer, is a fantastic read!

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the Vicki is ready. Got the e-brake hooked up and working. Cooling problem addressed, threw the short throw shifter for the T-5 in the trash and put a stock one on. Cast-iron brake drums and floaters...we will.have a conversation about that installation some time soon.
    Hitting the road tomorrow IMG_20190909_152606337.jpeg

Dannerr, Hamtown Al, burl and 8 others like this.
  21. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Looking Good Man!! Will be waiting on the class for the Brakes...

Dannerr likes this.
  22. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

It’s the way Mark did things, so I’m all for it.

Jet96 likes this.
  23. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

CE4F6A8E-1B60-44EA-A8D7-D8B8DB0D9E7D.jpeg Getting ready for the run to HRHC-Put some new tie rod ends on- shorter distance to drive when going in a straight line, thinking ahead!

24. 97

brjnelson,
    [​IMG]
    What make is this head? Do you have any more pics of the Gemsa motor or the whole car?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

GuyW likes this.
  25. brjnelson

brjnelson

[/QUOTE]

I think Dick is just running a Thomas had from Dan Price.
    IMG_2997.JPG IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2996.JPG
    Dean does some crazy shit on his builds doesn’t he

Dannerr, 97, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  26. brjnelson

brjnelson

97, Jalopy Joker and Old Dawg like this.
  27. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FSI Ignition Question: Is there something so special about an FSI ignition that the instructions on wiring must be followed to the letter?
    My 12 volt battery is located in the rear and because it was originally a 6 volt system I ran a 4/0 cable for both ground and positive. Since going to the new motor and hi-torque starter I used the same cable. I have a 30 amp circuit breaker attached to the starter post by means of a 1" 12 gauge wire. From that circuit breaker I run a 12AWG wire to a fuse block that has a dedicated circuit running to the 36 Ford ignition switch. Coming off that switch there is one wire going to the coil and one to the tach. Since I no longer run the Model A terminal box I hooked up the yellow wire to a solid ground through the original coil mounting bolt but its on the outside of the firewall. My concern is the FSI instructions emphasize in red letters that the the dedicated ignition circuit needs to come from the battery with what looks like a 16 AWG wire. Certainly no heavier than 14AWG. They also insist, in red letters, that the ground wire must be on the inside of the car.

28. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

well got this beater as ready as i can for the hill climb.Motor sounds more like a diesel at times but will see how it goes. hrhc.jpg

Dannerr, Old Dawg, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  29. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Call em up and talk to them.Pretty good guys to talk to.I don't even have one of there units yet but they were happy to answer all of my questions.

Garagekulture13 and Old Dawg like this.
  30. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Cheyenne crew is leaving at 9 on Thursday morning. 2 banger powered As and a couple of other cars. All secondary highways down there. If anybody is coming through Cheyoming you are welcome to drive along with us! Let me know and I will give you information as to where we are meeting on Thursday.