Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The basics of reviving a 354 Mopar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jas2783, Sep 7, 2019.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe you can buy or make a block off plate and rum hoses from the larger holes to a standard remote full flow oil filter. Or maybe find a car filter mount for a spin on filter and install that. I would hope some one with more recent experience would jump in here with better dope.

2. Hot Heads has oil filter adapters.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done this with the 331 in my vintage modified dirt race car. When I was building the car, all of the "Old-Timers" in our racing association warned me run run a lot of oil in the car "because the Chrysler's needed it". I ended up with a modified pan, a twin filter setup and an oil cooler that gave me a total of 14 quarts in the car. I do have to say that I have never had lubrication issues with the engine. I can take a picture or two if the setup if you would want to see it.

4. Jas2783

Jas2783

Pulled the oil pan tonight. (should have taken pictures) There is some rust in the bores.. The valve covers will come off tomorrow night, but I am assuming this engine needs to be pulled out and sent to the machine shop.

5. Jas2783

Jas2783

This brings up the question in my mind: is a gasket set the same for both the truck and car engines? I am assuming that they are the same, is that a mistake?

6. Jas2783

Jas2783

A couple questions regarding the next step: How much wear is to be expected on the underside of the rocker arm shafts? A couple of the rockers have 'polished' the shaft but one has left a bit of a groove....Does one replace the shaft, Or what?

Also I have a broken spring that positions the one of the rocker shafts, Where does one find something like that?
    Last question: I am considering pulling the heads off... Open to suggestions on how, is that engine hoist territory? Guessing it is not really easy to do it oneself while the engine is in the vehicle.. any suggestions and opinions welcome.

Thanks,
    Jas

7. Removal and placement of the heads over fenders will be a bitch. I won’t think twice about getting the hoist out to do the work.

Grooved shafts need resurfaced or replaced.
    Shafts get grooves due to lack of oil.
    Shafts fail at oil delivery because they get full of crap.

Put a want ad up here in the classified section for those parts.

8. Jas2783

Jas2783

Thanks 31Vicky. I think I will pull the other rocker shaft and see if any more parts are needed... and go looking for an engine hoist that will work for this situation.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I would leave the heads bolted on and pull the whole engine. Bunch easier to work on, from an engine stand. That way you can check out the clutch ect.. also. JMO Lippy

10. Jas2783

Jas2783

Yes I agree in most situations.. But the transmission is a monster weighting in what has to be the 250-300 pound range... at this moment I would rather leave it in place... IT may come to the point where the engine has to come out.. if the bottom end, or cylinder bores are needing work.. But I would rather work around the front sheetmetal, than devote a weekend to pulling the tranny.