Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My turn for “what’s it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Sep 8, 2019.

1. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

When i contemplate a buy like this. I stand there and imagine i bought it and now what do i do. Then the forget it light bulb comes on and i just saved a ton of money and years of labor. On to the next dream.

s55mercury66, Hnstray and Lepus like this.
  2. ^^^
    Too funny. We may need to meet up for a beer.

3. upspirate

upspirate

Get him to pay for the beer before the light comes on

4. I do not see it being DONE for $50k at the top level, and I always under price stuff. chroming and pot metal repair, plus finding replacements for stuff that, WILL break when taken apart, will eat up close to a third the budget $15k. engine tranny rear another third $15k, body supplies $5k. upholstery and top $6k. $2k in blasting is probably not enough. apart this thing takes up close to 1500 square feet of shop and the time to shuffle and move the stuff as needed. time at the computer researching the best parts, ordering, receiving and unpacking and taking inventory, sending the shit back that was wrong, defective or bad, could suck up a weeks labor? going to the swop meets hrs, and hauling it home. tires? $800? for five. paint supplies $4500 and the time to weld, bang, beat, shape prep, sand, slather, sand, spray, sand, spray sand, flip over, repeat, buff, clean etc.. glass and the rubber, felts, seals etc $1k.
    am I close? and I didn't include disassembly and assembly.
    been there, did that.

ididntdoit1960 and Hnstray like this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Dont know a thing about em but from the sound of it, It sounds like one that could be saved and still be worth what it costed, A main ingredient to saving it would be someone who wants it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  6. If it where me, with your shop, credentials and workmanship that is already out there and people know what you are capable of.

If, you have the space and can get it for under 3 g’s. ( I would hope for 2 or less)

Read the “HOW TO WASH A BARN FIND” and put it at your shop and try to sell it as a project you would build for said customer.

Worse case you can part it out and make some good money selling parts, a pot marked something is better then a mint condition nothing when your balls deep in a resto and need to finish it.

I know it’s not kosher but it’s done all the time the papers and tags are worth what the whole enchilada is selling for.
    I think they are cool cars.
    If you have the space , grab it.
    I really don’t think you can looses either way.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sounds like a good project for a pure Pontiac guy where you put hundreds of hours in and have a car worth only what you put into it or thereabouts.

8. 5window

5window

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Way more :D
    But more fun too :D

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. You are making me tired:rolleyes: But you are correct, it eats up the funds pretty fast.

11. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

12. Squablow

Squablow

"complete but needs everything" is way too vague and subjective. I once bought a Chevelle convertible that the guy said "it could be fixed but it would need everything" and it went on the trailer in two big chunks. Pictures and further details are needed for an accurate value.

13. Damn, I should have bought that one in 1984 for five grand. It was nice.

slowmotion and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Very narrow market. Not a lot of people looking for one, would be a hard sell. If it needs "everything" I would walk away, fast.

SPark

15. birdman1

birdman1

I paid too much for my 1955 t bird.i replaced floor s ,inner and outer rockers, trunk floor and lower quarters, trunk floor among more. Built a 351c for it. Did interior work myself and paint.way to much money but is only way I will ever have '55 bird. If you are doing it for a profit, you are in the wrong business anyhow

Squablow likes this.
  16. 62rebel

62rebel

Think positive

17. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Remember you make money on a car when you BUY the car - not when you SELL the car . What I mean by this is if you buy the right car when you sell it - it makes money. When you buy the wrong car when you sell it - it makes no money.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    upspirate likes this.
  18. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

It's not a 2+2 but here's mine. Tried to sell it for 6k but didn't have any luck so just decided to keep it. I've owned it over 20 years. Not to upset it didn't sell. I just have to many projects right now so it will be a while before I can finish it. They are great cars though. good luck with your search. IMG_1527.jpg

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

You can't build a rusted out hulk for 50K. First of all where are you going to find all the nit noid parts? My 60 Bubbletop a nut & bolt frame off restoration couldn't be duplicated for anywhere close to that and that was starting with a completely rust free body after years of being stored indoors. The laser straight body and flawless show quality black paint alone would cost you over 20K to replicate. How about a new interior? Running gear and suspension? Brakes, tires and wheels. Where are you even going to find all the chrome, stainless and pot metal thats on these cars? 50K would only scratch the tip of the iceberg. HYq2SbttQgeNAfh%02YAZQ.jpg

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, another dream car for the very few who recognize the significance. And that's where we are, guys like us who see it and can actually do a lot of the work. It's our clean sheet of paper. A restoration of a car that rough and that big would take 2000-2500 hrs if all went well. We also both know there's a time or 10 where it simply will not regardless of preparation and planning. The worst of it? The outsourced gigs. Nowadays we got misfit sons who took over dad's biz and never got their arms around customer service. Not all, but enough to leave skid marks in the outsource panties and I'd bet within a popular community like Pontiac stuff there's a good measure. As mentioned above the freakin real estate that beauty would take up is worth a premium in itself. If you're getting paid it's a good pain med on such a project but certainly no cure. The work will suck at times, then there's that point in the job where you put 50-60-80 hrs in it, for reals, then the client says he doesn't understand and costs you half a day and pot of coffee getting schooled. Once done it won't be a Tiger Gold 65 GTO with trips and 4 spd, it's still a select few who 'get it' and really appreciate it. Hard buy, hard sell. What's worth? $3K or less given the crotch rot you said it has. Done? I can only give a smart ass answer,"Heads or tails?"...;)