Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My turn for “what’s it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Sep 8, 2019.

1. (shares 65 body panels)
    Pedigree 66 Catalina “ 2+2” convertible 421 4spd
    Its all there but it’s all very rough and all of it needs everything.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So engine / trans condition ? Frame? Buying or selling ?

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  3. Eleventy billion?

How much effort do you want to put in to parting it out? I would think all options would be valuable. As a whole maybe a couple grand.

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Passed on the exact same car in Wisconsin a few years back for $2500.
    Couldn’t see the ROI working out but I can’t do the jobs you can during a resto.

5. Possibly buying.
    I figure it’s every bit of a 50k plus restoration.
    When I looked at it before I didn’t see anything not one thing that was usable. Pitted, rusted corroded, ripped rotted cracked stuck and or frozen. However nothing missing, every jot and tittle was there. Good paperwork and all right numbers on the car.

Pristine examples of the ‘66 are priced in 80k range. The 2+2 was its own car for ‘66 and only 66. For 65 and 67 it was an option.

I’m thinking 2k range . my buddy thinks 6k -10k range based on what I said.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. evintho

evintho

Sounds like a true 'field car'. Definitely a desirable ride but as you said 'it needs everything'! It sounds like you're right on the money at $50K with you doing most of the work. I also agree with $2k-$3k to buy it. The owner may think $6k-$10k, but good luck with that. Tell him to call the Discovery Channel and ask for Richard Rawlings! Anything is possible!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Another pointless exercise.........you'd be better off spending your time on 'sport f%$king' and blowjobs.....that's more fun.;)

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Lol, so does mine, but some whiner will still bitch about it. Just me, but I look at stuff like this with an eye toward what the parts are worth, because I'm a cheap bastard and don't value rusty stuff quite as highly as I used to. You may find a "patina" admirer that will actually value rust more than shiny paint, and make a profit just getting it running.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

I think in todays market 80 g's is wishful thinking. And why gamble all that work and money for a questionable profit?

5window, chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  10. when they are that rough they should be thought of as a parts car. closer to the two thousand number than the ten. the muscle car prices are coming down and who is buying these?

11. Original numbers matching ? Tri power or 4 barrel ? 421 HO ? Manual or automatic ? Buckets and console ? Still have its 8 lug wheel specifications ? What color codes ? Interior and exterior ? Factory tach' option or no ?

Not many left ... BUT ... there are conditions of restoration warranted. Holy grail options ... or NO ?

If any of the fun options, great. If none ... meh' ... not so much. Labor of love versus investment grade. You know this road ...

12. With tb33nad a 3rd - then only what 421 parts are useable - that's what makes it a big deal - then the convert - then the 4 speed - again what is usable since a donor car will need to be a purchase as well......good luck....one of the Cats I'd like to own....a 2+2 - 421 and 4 speed........

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

14. Yes original numbers matching
    PMD documents
    421 4spd 4bbl
    Buckets and console
    Yes 8 lugs
    Medium turquoise blue with parchment interior and white top
    Factory tac
    Power windows and AC

It would be a show stopper it’s got all the right stuff but,,,,

Fuck man you know I don’t want or need another project and I can’t afford to pull it off but I might have a guy or two would like to have it built for them.
    Surely don’t want to get them a 50k restoration on a $47,000 car either.

15. Yep, that’s my thinking .
    What’s a stuck 421 worth?
    What’s pitted and puckered pot metal trim worth?
    What’s rusty body panels worth ?
    What’s corroded 8 lugs worth ?

I’d bet that not much more than the tags and title is usable

16. 62rebel

62rebel

12 cents a pound at the scrapper

17. Where are you getting $240 a ton?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just passed on a dual engine Oldsmobile that I figure was a 50k rebuild and a 20k purchase price, the cars have limited sales data but even on a good day at Scottsdale I doubt I could get close to 100K minus commissions and costs, not worth my time for narrow profit margin.

chevy57dude likes this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call it sacrilege, but considering the condition, if it could be bought cheaply enough, I'd be tempted to buy it mainly for the engine and transmission and put them in an early Pontiac hot rod.
    Only other thought is that car and a solid donor two-door hardtop to make one good convertible?

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lumpy 63 likes this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard it said more than once...
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is to NOT take on a particular project.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. I’d like to do it but not for me
    It should be someone else dream for me to restore.

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

The positive side is rarity, paper work, options, cars may fluctuate in price but very few muscle cars lose value and stay there.

Down side, lots of work but by the time you got it done it would be worth even more due to the years passing ! ;)

Years ago I had the same chance on a 69 Pontiac trans am. Sounds about the same shape, for 5000. To this day I still kick my ass for not buying it.

Point is, weight all your options, look at it from a finished point of view to see if you like the out come and honestly I'd probably buy it and look for a donor car to build on.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. I’ve got a 66 Catalina 421 tri-power (YJ code) in my ‘64 GTO. It’s a beast.

25. No way !! Seriously ? I have the exact same in my '65 GTO. It's a deer strike, passenger side A pillar car. One repaint. Probably a future top replacement candidate, or nowadays ... maybe a couple of pulls, and hours spent with torch and dollies. Pretty cool engine.

Al T and Unique Rustorations like this.