Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Grundy claim.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28 Ford PU, Aug 18, 2019.

1. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Does anyone have a direct contact number for Grundy? Every number I’ve tried brings me to the Philadelphia insurance company. I can’t seem to get ahold of Grundy directly.

I was heading to a car show when a deer jumps out in front of for Christ sakes it’s not like I’m trying to pull a fast one on them. I have pictures of the dead deer and NYS trooper report.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

If I’m in New York and it looks like Philadelphia insurance company I guess is in Philly (Is there a Philly in India ) do I contact ny insurance commission or philly commissioner?

loudbang likes this.
  3. You can try this number, but Philadelphia Insurance Company is the underwriter for Grundy...........................888-647-8639

loudbang likes this.
  4. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I just called Grundy directly. Long story short —- they have no control of handing of the claim. They suggested calling the claims office to talk to a supervisor which I’ve done already and got nowhere. I asked for a Grundy supervisor and was told they couldn’t help. They offered to have a claims super give me a call and I accepted the offer.

They said the supervisor will call you SOMETIME this week.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yup. Still not buying Grundy.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

Call the State Insurance Commissioner: File a complaint with the Insurance Department online here or request a form here. Call the Insurance Department's helpline: 1 (877) 881-6388. You can expect the investigator to contact you within 30 days.

loudbang likes this.
  7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I'll pass on Grundy in the future. Quick enough to take your premium, them "can't help you - got to talk with the Claims Office" ?? WTF ?

loudbang likes this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Grundy is only the agent, Philly is the actual insurer.

loudbang likes this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Agent or insurer, who gives a shit? Somebody needs a rude awakening, either from a bulldog lawyer or an agent for the state insurance commissioner. The accident happened in NY, and the NY state insurance laws just about dominate the whole US, I would start there

loudbang and Randall like this.
  10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Many comments on how pleased many have been with Grundy/ Philadelphia claim service but you bad mouth them based on one guys deal? I am sorry the op is having his problem but it is one out of many. I will have to hear of many problems with them before I consider them a bad company to deal with.

Texas57, joeycarpunk and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

There handling of this one man's claim raises doubts in my mind even if it is just one claim! I can't wait to hear their excuse or explanation on why it has been mishandled so badly!

12. 5window

5window

If you do your homework and do a HAMB search, you will find this is not the first time, not just one man's complaint. Buyer beware. This will get you started: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/problems-with-grundy-insurance.1113565/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    loudbang, Randall and Nostrebor like this.
  13. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And how would you feel if you were the "one guys deal"?

14. 5window

5window

My dad used to tell me ,"You are only as good as the next customer wo walks through the door". I found this interesting letter online. Note that it is 7 years old, but may still be relevant. Might be interesting to call Jim Grundy's number,too.

Grundy Insurance vs. Grundy Worldwide
    AUTHOR: Jim Grundy - (United States of America)
    SUBMITTED: Thursday, May 24, 2012

I just read a complaint stating Grundy Insurance did not provide insurance for an applicants Classic car. For the record Grundy Insurance, until 4 days ago, has NOT been affiliated with Grundy Worldwide Collector Car insurance for the last year!!!
    My name is Jim Grundy and allow me to elaborate: For over 60 years my Father before me and I have run Grundy Insurance Agency with several divisions the largest of which until last Sping 2011 was Grundy Worldwide Collector Car Insurance.
    Last Spring our underwiting company for the Grundy Worldwide Collector Program, Philadelphia Insurance, exercised a contractual right to terminate our agency from the Collector Car Program and take over the name Grundy Worldwide.

They proceeded to do just that and without any experience or knowledge how to run the business; a new computer system full of "gliches"; and no staff of "Car Guys"- things went haywire!!!

I suspect the person who wrote the complaint/report that I'm rebutting got caught up in this!!

The future however is bright. To my surprise, good fortune, and hopefully for the benefit of all our friends and policyholders, two months ago, the President of Philadelphia Insurance called and asked us to TAKE BACK the Program. We're transitioning into that role as we speak and are determined within as short a timeframe as possible to restore the Collector Car Program to the exceptional level of service we've been known for over the years...

(If the individual who filed the complaint has never received his policy or money back, please contact me direct at Grundy Insurance 215-674-1856...)

SERVICE, KNOWLEDGE, and HONESTY are our business- Jim Grundy

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    loudbang and Stu D Baker like this.
  15. uncle buck

uncle buck

As a certain nut in New York once said... it’s all about the Benjamin’s. I cancelled Grundy years ago for the runaround, and I was only trying to get an answer not file a claim. It was obvious that they were there for themselves and I was on my own if something was to happen

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man likes this.
  16. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

(If the individual who filed the complaint has never received his policy or money back, please contact me direct at Grundy Insurance 215-674-1856...)

SERVICE, KNOWLEDGE, and HONESTY are our business- Jim Grundy[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the phone number it’s been awhile since that posting but I’ll give it a go tomorrow.

I also want to thank everyone for your concern and time you put into my problem.

They just don’t get it. Our cars are special to us and we don’t have to have them but the fact that we do makes them need us to supply their pay check.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Got me worried , with 5 Classic cars and an antique Motorcycle insured with them , Sounds good that the Grundy Family will be back in charge though.

loudbang likes this.
  18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

If I didn’t know several folks with pleasant claims service from them I might be inclined to think differently. But that is not the case.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^ We need a link to "dislike" a post. If they fuck one of us they've fucked us all.

Dick Stevens and uncle buck like this.
  20. 5window

5window

This is an interesting, up to date review site. While Grundy has a very high positive rating, it is almost exclusively made up of people who never filed a claim but find it easy to renew. DUH. Almost everyone who has an claim or other issue to work through, like increasing coverage, is somewhat less than satisfied. You can be your own judge: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.grundy.com

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

This is well past the point of dealing with Grundy. It is now time to deal with the NY Insurance Commissioner. Only they have the power to move this forward at the speed at which it should already have been moving.

The issue we had concerning classic auto insurance was solved in a matter of days, with 2 calls (1 call for each of 2 questions) to the IL Insurance Commissioner. For the record, the company we had issues with was American Family Classic car insurance.
    Quite screwing around, call the Insurance Commissioner. Gene

22. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Well I finally got Philadelphia insurance company appraisal of the damages and was told the check is in the mail.

It wasn’t a disaster but there is a few large discrepancies.

I told them the shop was charging storage fees. I didn’t get a dime for a months worth of storage.

I’m not sure why it took a month to compile this list it’s all aftermarket sheet metal quoted from Brookville. I can’t even find sheet metal parts or pricing on the Brookville site. Do they still make or sell them?

I’m not putting aftermarket parts back on! I’ll keep tabs on every min. of labor that is put into getting back together.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  23. I think by accepting the check, you're agreeing to the claim.

24. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I haven’t received the check yet and I’m sending off a note before the weekend is over.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Old Wolf are you making fun of me? Thats what they call me at work when I have to collect $$$ on customers that are late on their bills,{the weasel} and I get it. LOL. Bruce. 009.JPG

loudbang and 28 Ford PU like this.
  26. 5window

5window

Never fails to amaze me how it is my fault clients don't have the money to pay their bills and they get mad when I explain I am not a bank,

TagMan and loudbang like this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I have Grundy and last year had to make my first claim. I can't say it was easy but it did end up OK for me. I had minor mishap with my 57 that wiped out the front bumper, valence, fender, inner fender, rocker and fender skirt. No property damage otherwise. The adjuster came out to my shop, and I was sure to walk him through the entire car so he could see the issues, etc. All the seams were molded so there was no place to break the paint off. The color is a candy and would be tough to blend. When I got the estimate, it was embarrassingly low. The material costs they listed I knew would be grossly insufficient, as the HOK was well in excess of that 10 years prior, they must have accounted for Centari or something. They added 0 hours for the extended and molded headlight, which I specifically explained to the adjuster, and they accounted for 1.5 hours of labor to cut and buff the ENTIRE car. I took the car to a friend's shop to get the adjuster back in to go over it before I had them do the work. After going back and forth with the adjuster, Grundy cut a check for an additional $9000 to cover the discrepancy with the original estimate. While I was glad they squared up properly, I was displeased with the gyrations I had to go through to get there, and get a good faith appraisal of the damage.

28. gene-koning

gene-koning

So, 57joe, do you still have Grundy Insure your cars?

I have a friend that had a hard fight battle with a different insurance company over a claim, before they finally made it right. Afterwards, the guy still uses the same insurance co. Baffles my mind he would be willing to take another chance he might have to do battle with them again, should he ever have another claim.

Screw with me once and you won't be seeing me again. Way to many other choices out there. Gene

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

You have to stand up for yourself with ALL one .co' s.....

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I do, largely because otherwise they've been easy to deal with, the rates are excellent, and the agreed value of my cars is acceptable. Plus, even though the process took some effort, I expected it to with a custom car, modified parts, expensive paint, etc., and they did pay up when the appraisal was line-itemed. The whole process took about 3 weeks. They used an outside insurance appraisal company, someone not in-house to Grundy/Philadelphia Indemnity, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the guy who was there was probably not ultra well-versed in classics, and had probably just looked at a few Toyota Camrys at the body shop nearby. For example, the "orange peel" that you get on a factory finish would be completely unacceptable on a custom paint job on a classic. Again, annoying, yes. But I'm not willing to drop them yet after 15 years of good coverage.

I also know that if they really tried to weasel out of a claim, I'd drag them into court and make their life a living nightmare. They'd be incurring legal fees, I'm not.

56shoebox and loudbang like this.