Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs LED Tail lights for 49 and 50 Olds.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49toad, Sep 8, 2019.

1. 49toad

49toad

Is anyone making LED tail lights for 49 Oldsmobiles. Can you buy panels to replace the bulbs?

2. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

You can get led bulbs that plug in where the 1157 bulbs go in the original socket. Look up 1157 led bulbs, I got mine at a large light vendor in Des Moines at the Goodguys show.

3. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Just be aware not all LED 1157 replacements will make all lights work. I must have tried at least a dozen types of LED globes before I fitted something that worked. This was in my 1923 Roadster fitted with 1934 lights. Some times it is easier just to stay with the conventional globe.

4. Sometimes you can get a card that will work. Street scene used to have an ad in the back for a supplier. Lambert Industries I think.

5. 49toad

49toad

The trouble I'm having is people say they can't see my brake lights or turn signals in the day light.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I get mine off the Interweb,,, Superbright???
    They have bulbs, sockets and such,,, I have repro 37 Chevy truck lights on the back our our 50 Ute and I am planning switch from the weird dim small bulb to a 1157 led. Just remember that LED's sometimes will not trip blinker switches and you need a specialized blinker switch
    .Remember to always protect your ass..

7. lowrd

lowrd

I looked online through NAPA and ordered them from my local store. Did have to use a no load flasher to make the signals work. No major issues.

8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Is that with a globe or with LED? In the LED units I tried I had the same issues specialy where the light is fitted with blue dots. If you are having issues with globes then perhaps you need a brighter globe as LED may not resolve the issue.