Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP Tom Jobe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by warbird1, Sep 8, 2019.

1. The last member of the "Surfers" team passed away at age 79 yesterday, Sept. 7. Tom was a class act who was involved in many kinds of racing over the years, from Top Fuel to Land Speed racing. He will be missed...

RIP Tom

2. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Huge player in top fuel! For sure will be missed by all

3. Oh man,,,sorry to hear this.
    I spoke to him several years ago about the old days,,,and the Surfers.
    A lot of knowledge was there.
    It was amazing how much they pushed the envelope in Fuel racing.
    Really sad to hear about his passing!

Tommy

4. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rest in Peace

loudbang, warbird1 and Deuces like this.

5. Fordors

Fordors

A brilliant mind that brought new ideas to fuel racing. Godspeed Tom.

6. Deuces

Deuces

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Jobe Family and Friends on the passing of Tom...

He sowed seeds of innovation and knowledge for others to revere and carry forward...may He Rest in Peace...thanks for sharing this loss to the Community @warbird1

8. Really enjoyed the Bill Pitts video series. Tom seemed like a real nice guy and good story teller. May you RIP Tom....

sidevalve8ba, jnaki, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really enjoyed the Surfers videos. Tom was a great story teller, and class act. RIP.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sorry to hear this. I recently had the pleasure to talk with him about the videos. A classy standup gentlemen... May he truly Rest In Peace.

Deuces, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Oh man:mad: I'm glad i posted all those youtube clips here. I'm also glad the story of The Surfers was able too be told before he died. What an invaluable pice of drag racing history this man left us before he died.

warbird1, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

13. Just thinking no rest for those guys we've lost.....they're gearing up in the heavens and watching for a great pass.....thanks for the memories !.

warbird1, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  14. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Got to meet him last year, what a great man. I convinced a friend to go to one of the luncheons that Jay Carpenter puts together. It was great to see these old competitors talking drag racing and just enjoying life. Herb Ries and Mikio Yoshioka shooting the breeze with Tom. RIP Tom Jobe. P3291506.JPG P3291506.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

warbird1, catdad49, deadbeat and 3 others like this.
  15. We always enjoyed visiting with Tom and reminiscing about our Top Fuel battles of long ago and when I learned of his passing this morning I about fell out of my chair.
    The Surfers, now all gone, were good friends and fierce racing opponents.

Rest In Peace, old friend!!
    From the Watchdog Team

warbird1, vinfab, Deuces and 2 others like this.

16. Thomas Henry Jobe (August 31, 1940 - September 7, 2019).jpg
    Thomas Henry Jobe
    August 31, 1940 - September 7, 2019

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Condolences to the Jobe Family and Friends of Tom. :(

warbird1 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It is with a sorrowful heart that this passing of Tom Jobe had on me. Since we had an early history of drag racing at Lions Dragstrip, several people have shown kindness and support over the past years. Tom was one of them. His notoriety at Lions goes back into the early years of drag racing, well beyond our involvement era. But, drag racing was still running through our lifestyles, until it wasn't. His lasted a lifetime, that was outstanding...

When he had one of his recent illnesses, we talked about early drag racing at Lions. He was one of the supporters of my early films and editing information. He had ideas for me to pursue. It was exciting that someone involved in drag racing from back in those 1960s had an interest in my films. So, I sent him a get well package. Hopefully, it made his recovery a little better.

NOTE: When the first Lions Dragstrip Museum opened in 2017, he was aware that my films were playing on the screen along a corner display. Those copies of the original Lions films were sent to him during one of his recovery days. During any recovery, what makes one happy serves its intended purpose for a get well wish.

Thank you for your support and kindness…

Jnaki

20. catdad49

catdad49

Although I only got the see them in print ,The Surfers, were a force to be reckoned with at any meet thuey attended. Tom Jobe, the last Surfer, is on his way to meet the rest of the team. Prayers and Condolences to his Family, Friends and Fans.

warbird1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

R.I.P.

warbird1 likes this.
  22. chase knight

chase knight

R.I.P. I had the pleasure of having dinner with him (and some other racing notables) five years ago. My first real-life encounter with Tom. He was totally humble, sharp as can be, and a wealth of information. We also had friends in common from when he was a machinist at American Honda for their racing teams, and we talked about that as much as drag racing. I'd hoped to resume the conversation someday, but I waited too long. Godspeed.

warbird1 likes this.
  23. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

As a youngster the Surfers were my favorite fop fuel team, thanks for the memories, RIP Tom along with the rest of the team.

warbird1 likes this.
  24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

One of those rare guys who had every opportunity and right to be cocky and above the rest of us and yet chose to be humble and be a truly great man.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Mark Hinds, warbird1 and Fordors like this.
  25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So sad to hear. RIP

warbird1 likes this.
  26. Legend.
    surfers.jpg a72931a49b94af5186c1d590f5de1fef.jpg 70161513_10157453646163419_6456932783448129536_o.jpg

27. Has anyone got a copy of the old cartoon that someone drew back then.
    I saw it years ago,,,,but can’t remember the exact wording.
    It was a drawing of some witches next to a cauldron,,,they were stirring the stew.

One witch said to the others,,,,”I bet even the Surfers never cooked up a brew like this”.

The Surfers were well know for the Nitro blends,,,,I think there said they went 100 percent nitro way back then,,,,just didn’t broadcast it to everyone.
    Very strong running Hemis,,,,,Great guys!

Tommy

warbird1 likes this.
  28. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Good thoughts re Jobe for many years now.....had a calculus class with him in 60's at SMCC.
    As all wannabe engineers we wore cords and a white short sleeve shirts to classes.
    He was a good friend of a good friend and was a hero to all the local west LA racers,
    especially after the Bakersfield meet. Good thoughts remain.

warbird1 likes this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I sheepishly asked Tom in a conversation years back (Bakersfield?) about what 'prompted' them to dare 100% Nitro!
    His answer: "The impatience of Jobe..."
    Brilliant man. Easy to talk with, very informative.
    Godspeed, Sir.

Mark Hinds and warbird1 like this.