Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1926 Ford Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard Jones, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

I recently purchased a 26 Ford Sedan Delivery street rod that was build several years ago. I am trying to determined the original manufacturer of the body. I know Ford Motor Company didn't build a sedan delivery until 1928. I have searched the internet for reproduction Ford bodies but no luck in finding any current manufacturers. Anyone got any ideas who could have produced this body?

2. redo32

redo32

Pictures would be great.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  3. primed34

primed34

Rick Bales out of Mo. built one out of sedan back in the 70's. Think that is only one I ever saw.

4. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

20190326_102106 (2).jpg 20190326_102140.jpg

hfh, uncleandy 65, Deuces and 19 others like this.

5. WOW! That's a good looking car. I'm no help on finding info on it, but it's sure nice. All steel?

OahuEli, Deuces and brad2v like this.
  6. redo32

redo32

Several Model T blogs say that Ford didn't make a sedan delivery. Most of the commercial body makers started with Ford chassis that was usually shipped with a hood and cowl. Their bodies look old and utilitarian. Yours appears to be a Ford body that was modified.

LOU WELLS and lurker mick like this.
  7. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

The body is all fiberglass as well as the doors and fenders. Only the hood is steel.
    Overall I'm pleased with the car. Just curious as to who made the body.
    It sits on a custom frame, 3 " dropped axle, 9" Ford and 4 wheel disc brakes. A Buick V6 (even fire 231 cu.in.) is mated to a 350 Turbo.

8. redo32

redo32

Well with my Evelyn Wood speed reading training I skipped right over "reproduction". Would have saved me some time on google search if you would have said fiberglass in the first post. Anderson Industries used to make a T bucket style C cab, But I don't recall who made full size T sedans.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Very Nice Delivery And Just Drive It And Enjoy The Mystery..

clem and 62rebel like this.
  10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Now that’s something that you wouldn’t see at every Rod Run........ I’m on the case. Sent the image out to my “Foot Man”, will see what he knows about it????

11. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Thanks for all the positive comments.
    It's the first one I've ever seen too. It's going to been drive for sure. Winter plans are to install a Jag IRS, some interior updates with new carpeting and more comfortable seats.

12. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Back in the 70,s Revell made a model of the same car,it was one of the Lil Johns series,it was green and yellow.Not sure if it was a real car or not,i did make the model when i was a kid though.It had a jag rearend in it too. Harvey

13. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

I found that model kit on Amazon. This one is a dark brown. Ill assembly it like mine.

Deuces likes this.
  14. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

The brown one is the actual car he did,it was really something for its time.it was what set me off on old cars.Harvey

15. PLEASE DONT SCREW IT UP..Say no to a Jag rear end..No,NO,NO,NO HELL NO

flatheadpete likes this.
  16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That car screams 70's and is probably when it was originally built. A Jag rear under it would be completely natural, just like Lil John's. I say yes to a Jag!

Deuces, brad2v and Roothawg like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

That is a great looking glass body. Also, for the nitpickers, wouldn't a Jag rear end fit under the confines of the 1965 deadline? XKE's came about in 1961.

Deuces and Weedburner 40 like this.
  18. Do the Jag. It must be chrome though, and a quick change style cover wouldn't hurt.

Deuces and 62rebel like this.
  19. 62rebel

62rebel

Lil John having built one that way gives me enough provenance to go with it... even if it was "Street Rod" instead of "Hot Rod". No tweed, though....

20. primed34

primed34

New local built '29 on '32 rails highboy roadster has '65 Jag rear. First one I'd seen in years. It's chrome and way the hell cool if you're following it. I was eighteen the first time I saw one and thought it was cool. I'm 66 now and I still think them things is cool. Don't think I want one, but damn they look cool going down the road. Same deal with a 'Vette.

Corn Fed, Deuces and Weedburner 40 like this.
  21. uncle ron

uncle ron

22. another vote for the jag. hotrodding is all about doing what you want.

Deuces likes this.
  23. oldolds

oldolds

A chrome Jag rear is cool to follow at night. Lots of sparkles. I am glad the other guy owns it. I would not like to clean it!

Deuces likes this.
  24. clem

clem

Perhaps a one-off, hand built car ?
    Looks a nice car, and they really do suit a chromed Jag rear...........

Deuces likes this.
  25. alchemy

alchemy

If you do a Jag, it HAS to be all chrome. And don't mess with the original calipers. I remember Dad agonizing over those leaky things multiple times.

26. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Thanks to everyone regarding their thoughts & ideas. I have located an 85 Jaguar XJS IRS and have started dissembling the unit. Yes it will be chromed and installed without the cage. I plan on using QA1 rollovers instead of the original Jag ones. Need to talk with QA1 tech dept regarding the proper spring rates. The T scaled out with 1250 lbs on the front axle and 1350 lbs on rear. The IRS center section is a Dana 44 with 2.87 gears. May need to change that before final installation. Not sure of the present 9" ratio.

27. I'm real fond of 3.73 gears. But whatever you do those 2.87 gears need to come out of there. I think those 2.87 gears would put that car to sleep.

28. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

I agree. Maybe 3.55 . Buick V6 / 350 Turbo
    Rear tires are 235/70-15

29. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

You might find the sedan rear end is too wide. A friend recently redid his ‘32 woodie after he finally found an xke set up.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. sdroadster

sdroadster

Echoing the above statement. You'll find a XJS rear end too wide.