Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical N.O.S. rubber mudflaps stink like hell.??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Hope this is in the correct place. I recently bought these four N.O.S. mudflaps along with seven filthy barn find 1932/1935 Ford V8 hubcaps. When i opened the parcel there was a terrible stench that came out. I thought it was the hubcaps that were covered in 40 years of dust. After washing everything the stench was still there. Now i have the clean mudflaps laying on my outside workbench. Even in the fresh air they stink. I actually got dizzy from the smell. The mudflaps must be at least from the late 1950s or early 1960s and are still flexible, they have,nt gone hard. So anyone know what's going on ? As a comparison i also have new 7.00 x 18 inner tubes here that don,t smell at all. The bad smell has nothing to do with weed :eek::oops::rolleyes:.
    flap 1.JPG

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

34 GAZ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 1ton

1ton

Not skunky?

34 GAZ likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

I have few old plastic/rubber things that are neat to look at as long as you hold your breath! Maybe these will air out, or if installed on the rear only, help with the butt riders. Let's see the hubcaps, please.

34 GAZ and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Sporty45

Sporty45

[​IMG]

6. Out-gassing of some of the manufacturing compounds. Should go away in time into the atmosphere.

34 GAZ and catdad49 like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stop huffing mudflaps!

Stick to glue, like a sensible miscreant.

VANDENPLAS, 34 GAZ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Sure, The big one is British Anglia and the small one is British Y ford ( small car 1932/1935 ) Noticed after cleaning that the one in red-oxide is actually a one piece nickel-plated item with bad nickel and not a cap with the stainless removed.
    Experts may comment on that cap.
    101_0454.JPG 101_0455.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  9. 62rebel

62rebel

We sell big truck mudflaps and they stink to high heaven, a mix of rotting tobacco and old engine oil. Nauseating and I try to stay clear of that area of the warehouse.

34 GAZ likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Boy! If there was ever a tonque-in-cheek post, this one is it! Did ANYONE noticed it says FORD on them? Do I have to draw ya'll's a picture? I'm guessing they really don't smell at all. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

My OT "old man car"/Sleeper/Sportsman Bracket car is a 68 Biscayne 4 door Sedan; extremely nice shape and completely original. I gave the 250 six and Powergflide that was in the car to another HAMBER; well I actually sold it to him for $100.00, and he had to pull them. A 468 CID BBC/TH400-4500 stall converter/12 bolt with 4.10 Positaction are going in the car. There's a "stain" on the passenger side of the front seat, and it smells like old decomposition, and I think someone died there in the car!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  11. Had an old Bakelite radio that got oil on it or something and started to get soft, my garage smelled like rotting fish and dirty baby diapers for weeks until I found that little funky radio.

Try washing them with soap in water, put them in the back yard for a bit and see if the smell passes?
    Might be cat piss or something else on them not the flaps them selves ?

34 GAZ likes this.
  12. I don't know if you will ever get rid of that. I have some plastic cases that hold Allen wrench handles. For over 40 years they've been stinking up my tool box! Smells exactly like baby puke. Maybe it will keep dogs from peeing on your ride.........or make them want to roll on it!

34 GAZ likes this.
  13. Lol. My 1911's always reeked with the later era bakelite stocks. Formaldehyde. After a while, I got rid of those, and stayed in the wood grip, early 1911's instead. ( Coulda' put wood on my laters ... but a bit picky, I guess. )

34 GAZ likes this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Ford plastic switch pulls going way back and other dash gee gaws are made of a type of plastic that can grow fuzz or mold & smell bad.

34 GAZ likes this.
  15. just be thankful they are not floor mats.

Bandit Billy, 56don, Truck64 and 3 others like this.
  16. koolbeans

koolbeans

Stepped into snapon world 50 years ago. Drawer liners till this day when I open a drawer smells like a close up pile of dog shit......oh well...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

34 GAZ likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Didn’t they use a lot of soybean derived plastics back then? Probably just the natural scent of the soy oils breaking down.

34 GAZ likes this.