Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bushing for 68-7141 reverse idler gear?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TBone69, Sep 8, 2019.

1. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey folks

I'm rebuilding my first 37 Toploader transmission to run behind the banger in my project.

I see there is a bushing in the reverse idler gear and don't find it as a separate part anywhere.

I've got all the other parts to rebuild and just discovered the shaft is wore pas limits so I will be ordering a new one, the bushing itself Is at the wear limits and probably out of round.

Do I really have to replace the whole gear or is there a bushing available or another bushing that can be made to work?

Thanks
    TBone

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words, here the bushing I am referring to.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

I purchase mine at NAPA from the bushing Cat. I had to ream to make the ID fit the shaft.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I don't have the catalog here, but some Ford gear bushing were not available except as an assembly of gear and bushing. If that applies here (any parts catalog covering the year, I think 1936 here) will reveal it.
    Replacement means locating a good generic like N2 did.
    I would also think about whether replacement is necessary...from here it lookslike a good bushing with a couple of minor storage divots that can be remove easily.

5. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

That is the case or at least seems to be as no parts supplier offers it as a separate part. The shaft was under spec so a new one is on order and if that "tightens" things up I will not bother replacing.

Someone must make it since a new gear comes with it. Figured it might be another bushing used on some other part that could be fitted to make work.