Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Engineering Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I was at the annual Langley Cruise In today and I saw a front suspension that I need explained. Ratish Rod but with nice welding and sheet metal work on the interior but the front suspension has me puzzled. I believe it had a transverse front leaf spring but the shocks were mounted parallel to each other with about 4-6" between them in the centre of the axle. Now I'm no engineer but I thought the shocks were to help dampen each side of the axle and I found it hard when l seeing this set-up to understand how it would work. It seems that if one side went up the dampening would be actuated at the centre of the axle causing the other side to be affected. Educate me please!

2. oldolds

oldolds

Pictures would help.

squirrel likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If I were to guess, I would say lever/knee action set up. Like some of the Indy style cars.

4. safetythird

safetythird

As an aerospace engineer I can definitively say that I have no idea without seeing it.

I hope this helps.

Hightone111 likes this.
  5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My roadster has torsion bars and arms opposite to the shocks. upload_2019-9-7_19-17-20.jpeg s My roadster has torsion bars and arms opposite the active arm to the shocks.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I’d agree about the lever/knee action is probably to get them hidden to an extent. The lever ratio would set the shock rate. BUT without pictures it’s very hard to say what is exactly going on.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I don't take pics of Rodents but now I wish I had. MThey weren't hidden in any way right up front no the top were bout halfway rad. Maybe one of our local members took a pic today and post or maybe I'll see it again and make sure I take a pic. As far as I'm concerned it was a rather weird setup.

8. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Pictures would be awesome to see how it was setup.
    Rat rodders tend to do quite of bit of nonsense to their cars, including weird/useless suspension setups.
    Seems to be part of their gimmick.

9. BJR

BJR

Gotta a picture from the front?

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

See an earlier post. I might try to sketch it.