Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods final drive ratio for burnouts :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gordon Reed, Sep 2, 2019.

1. That post was useless ;) but it brought a smile to my face. One of the best that I have seen in quite a while. “sport fucking” .........damn now that’s all I’m going to think about next time I do a burnout.

WC145, loudbang, chevy57dude and 4 others like this.
  2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking about sport fucking while doing burnouts can lead to serious injury, blindness or death. Consult a physician before-hand!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    WC145, loudbang, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I’m scared....do hot rods really burn rubber....say it’s not so

WC145, 61Cruiser and 427 sleeper like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think that in 6 pages, we have probably educated this young man about most of the dangers linked to doing burnouts.
    I think we have also provided a bit of useful information concerning what may help his car do a burnout.
    I believe we have pretty well covered the fact that there is a time and a place to do burnouts, and that every time, and any place is not a good plan.
    We have pretty well covered the fact that doing burnouts can become addictive and it can lead to social and financial troubles.

After all that...
    I'm not much of a drag race guy, but I've been to enough of them to know the really fast guys in all the classes, do a burnout "to warm up the tires". I have also noticed there are not many cars that leave the starting line without spinning the tires "to get the motor up into the power band". So are you drag racing guys trying to tell me all those guys learned to spin the tires only at the track, or maybe most had some experience before ever entering the drag strip? Maybe they did a few burnouts on a street or parking lot, or back alley someplace.

I've spent a lot of time on dirt tracks. If that car isn't spinning the tires coming off the corner, they are not going as fast as the can. Our local dirt track (clay surface) was a fast long 1/2 mile (measured around the inside). Many nights, the track surface coming off the corners had a black trail in the groove (rubber on the track). When I was 19, I had a 70 Road Runner with a 383 (big block Mopar) with a 4 speed. One night after the races I managed to get my Runner on the track. I got square on the straight and dumped the clutch at about 3,000 rpm, fully expecting the tires to spin wildly. I was really shocked to find out it didn't spin hardly at all! It was a pretty big learning curve to get our 383 powered 69 Road Runner hobby stock car to spin coming off the corners a month or so later. Had I not had some experience on the street, I would have been pretty sorry on my 1st outing on the track.

I'm not buying all the stories that the purest (both drag racing and dirt track racing) guys that say they have never done a burnout before their first trip to the track. I believe they have probably forgotten the very early learning experiences. Gene

loudbang, Hnstray and slowmotion like this.
  5. This will be my final post on the subject,

Yes we need to help and encourage young people who have interest in cars I do it at work the time all.
    I help the two kids (18 and 22)who work next to me all the time whether they have welding/fabrication questions or automotive questions.
    I like to pass on what I have leaned from my father and older wiser car guys!
    But that also means giving "parental advice" when needed. Letting them know the dangers of what they are doing.
    I can think of a few times when I was doing things I didn't fully understand. Example-only doing a single weld pass when a should have done a three pass, or how to build a lighter simpler bracket on a car.
    I hold no animosity toward those people or view them as hard ass codger they were trying to keep me from making mistakes they had made or had seen others make.
    It made me a better, wiser, person.

I do not want to see this young man hurt himself, his car, or get in trouble. Any of those things could turn him off to the hobby.

To me it is a lifestyle!

Hnstray likes this.
  6. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

Goofy, fun stuff like burnouts, donuts, and such are the hobby....

It's so refreshing to see shows like Roadkill that seem to try to restore the fun to what has become a pay to play kinda hobby. It's not about shiny cars and period correct carbs, it's about driving the hell out of what you built, fixing it when it breaks, and having fun while doing it.

WC145 likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I started messing with cars in 1962 , I don't recall there being as much mayhem as some would have you believe , between magazine writers , movies and the exaggerated memories that seem to be about it would appear some folks have a colorful idea of the way things REALLY were

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  8. My dad and uncle used to race guys up a big ass hill, a 10% grade for 3/4 mile. The speeds were certainly above the speed limit but not obnoxious. That was 1960-64.
    Back in the 70s and early 80s there was a heavy street racing scene here on quigley ave.
    Late 80s early 90s, At specific locations and specific times the cops sat, watched, and blocked off roads so we could leave as hard as we wanted. Leaving the local cruise joints was really fun.
    Now today, specifically today there’s at least 4 really good burnouts. Probably 40 times a week someone is hauling ass and burning tires here and it ain’t me. Mostly late model stuff but there’s some old stuff here. They stop and turn into a 50 mph road and flat foot it. Sometimes they back out at 50 sometimes they stay in it to 100 plus. It’s literally every single day someone is doing a burnout.

WC145 likes this.
  9. liliysdad

liliysdad
    from Oklahoma

I didn't get involved in anything car related until the mid 90s...and mayhem would be a very good way to describe what it was like.

10. Deuces

Deuces

So, no one has done a brake torque in a little puddle of atf yet?????..... I would love to see a video if anyone decides to try it..... :D:):D

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

6 pages. Seriously? :confused:

12. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Sheer raw Chevy power makes it seem so easy, lol

Deuces likes this.
  13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Whats this 70s-80s-90s and on crap , I was under the impression we were being true to hot rodding PRE 1966 ????

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  14. It’s what it is,,,
    It’s not a colorful interpretation or exaggeration of events. That’s just the history of this area. Your area may differ slightly or greatly.

Now,,, Is the burnout particular to the year of the car or more relevant to when it’s happening? Because nobody can go back and do a burnout in 1965. So what’s the difference? Don’t talk about a burnout or race or exhibition of speed that happened after 1965?

The other side of this is that the same events happened long ago and continued up thru the decades and are currently happening and presumably will continue far into the future.

WC145 and lumpy 63 like this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I guess my point is this. Yea , we did burnouts but it was out on a country road , away from town , away from anyone except the guy you were racing , never in front of a crowd or in town , A , we didn't want tickets , B , we didn't want anybody to get hurt . It wasn't done with the blatant disregard for safety or law enforcement that you saw in later years ... you didn't ride around town drinking beer , you drove out on the country roads , dark outside , nobody around ....you've heard of " road soda" ??

Hnstray and Cosmo50 like this.
  16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Add to that the wonderful world of K-factors. Torque converters are indeed a lot more complex than many people think. What the K-factor is about is, a converter's stall speed depends on the torque it's subjected to. Specifically, the stall speed varies with the square root of the torque acting on it.

The very first loose converters were simply stock low-stall high-K converters from low-powered applications fitted to much more powerful engines. Subject to much more torque the same converters become high-stall converters.

Building a high-stall converter around lock-up architecture offers a way around the heat issue, and has become fairly common. Unfortunately it isn't an easy or cheap thing to do on a Powerglide. Lock-up converters predate computerized transmissions, though, if only by a few years, so centrifugal-governor-controlled arrangements aren't all that rare.

Torque converters are fascinating. Be warned :)