Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Old friends....Good friends!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While reading the thread on JCWhitney catalogs, there was a mention of a friendship going back to 1962......got me to thinking about my oldest friend and old friends.
    I met Mike Oct 16 ,1957 in the first grade. We went through 12 years of school and four years of college together. We raced cars, rode motorcycles, double dated, drank a lot of beer together, built a cherry 56 Ford pickup together.
    I personally was responsible for keeping him of of Vietnam.
    We grew up together!!

Had lunch with him yesterday!

Maybe others here have “old friends” ?

Bones

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wish I had a few friends. I moved to the other side of the county 42 years ago when I got married, all my high school friends lived in the next county over where I went to school, most of them I haven't seen once in that 43 years, some I've seen a few times several years ago. Got few folks around here that I'm friendly with, but not really close friends. Nobody comes here, and I don't go to their places. I'm almost a hermit. If it wasn't for the wife's folks that live around here, I would be one. I almost never see or hear from any of my family members, either. I talk to my Mom every Sunday, go see her every chance I get, which usually isn't many. Last time one of my family set foot in my house was probably 11 years ago when my least son got killed in a wreck. Not that there's any bad blood there, there isn't. Suits me fine, less that I have to put up with.

3. A couple weeks ago, a guy I've known since the early '60's dropped by and gave me a car club plaque from a club we started in 1964. He had some re-cast just like the original. Wouldn't let me pay for it. It was a special moment and the plaque brings back great memories. Thanks Dan, you're a true friend.

Texas Webb, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. The friend I have had the longest is also a Mike, we don't see each other very often but we met in 1964 in Jr high, we played in a garage band together and both of us got married the same year, Mike is a fantastic artist and is not into cars, but a great friend,

My fellow Tri-City Rod & Custom club members are like family and we have been friends since the early 70's. HRP

grifcarnut, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

Now that i'm in my 70's....all my good friends are OLD!
    6sally6

rockable, Mark Hinds, hrm2k and 3 others like this.
  6. Yep mine also.But like the James McMurtry song"not as many as we used to be".
    Keep in touch with them.

7. I have many friends, Most of my old friends are gone.(I'm 80)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. raven

raven

Few people know the distinction between friend and acquaintance. I have many acquaintances, but very few friends.
    Learned to be a loner growing up and old habits die hard.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. "Too Long in the Wasteland" I used to listen to him all the time, I'll have to down load some songs of his.
    I briefly met his father Larry McMurtry years ago, very nice and down to earth guy. Some of my favorite movies were based on his novels. Hud, Last Picture Show and the Lonesome Dove series (Brokeback Mountain...not so much though). I read somewhere that James's mother was a professor, damn talented family.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Most of my childhood friends moved out not long after the 68 riots or died way too soon from drugs or violence in the 70s. Those were some crazy times, amazing just how few are left. They would be celebrating their 60th. I still keep in touch with a couple thanks to the internet.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have a friend I have known since 1st grade, that I text back and forth with damn near every day. We grew up on the same street, about 6 houses apart, and raised all kinds of hell throughout our teenage years. Good ol' Buck James (close, but still a pseudonym) was a not-so-fearless co-pilot for a lot of midnight rides, in several Pontiacs over the years, but don't let his innocent looks fool you, he was once cited for 95 in a 10 :)

12. Lost too many early...Tom in his 52 Ford pick up just before the start of our senior year in 1974 - ran off the road by the account of the survivor....Paul was next at 19 of an enlarged heart that also got his older brother - he had 64 and 65 GTO's at his passing.....Eddie and Tim late into the 80's.....their x-o'ladies should share a little of that burden - but lucky to still have a few first grade and up buddies one that sitting on his dad's one owner 55 that's in the garage on a property he will never sell along his mother's 1 owner 67 Lemans. Thankful we still bitch about things....

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

This is something that has been on my mind lately. I have a best friend Rick, that I've known since '66. We were constantly doing things together and built a lot of bikes and rods together. I saw him last summer for a few hours when he drove here to see me. He has always had heart problems and is now doing better since going through a few heart surgery's and getting a pacemaker. I moved here after retiring five years ago and became good friends with Mike. Unfortunately, it was way too short, due to him passing unexpectedly from a massive stroke...rest in peace Mike. Since then, I haven't made any new friends, which is partly my fault, as I don't get out much anymore. Spend all my time in the shop and garage. Hopefully, that will change when I get this latest project done. Take the extra effort to keep in touch with your true friends. Whether you realize it or not, they are a positive factor in your life and make up part of who you are. Ain't going to lie, I miss my friends.

Boneyard51 and Mark Hinds like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds a lot like me.....

Boneyard51 and raven like this.
  15. xix32

xix32

“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?”

fourspeedwagon, Boneyard51 and raven like this.
  16. ^T....R....A....I....N!!!!!!!

17. I have always said that you could count all your friends on one hand, and have fingers left over. The rest are acquaintances.

18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have a few but the one that comes to mind first is Dave, I have known him all my life. He is two years older than me so I always had an older guy to run around with before I was 16 to get my drivers license. He graduated in 1967 and bought a new 350 horse 396 Chevelle. I thought I was hot stuff cruising around in the car and we done very well with the girls and the stop light action. We got into more mischief than a dozen kids should have. I see him often as he lives less than a mile from me. He just got the Chevelle back from the paint shop and we are slowly getting it back together. Our wifes tell us no cruisin for chicks or street drags this time around:rolleyes:

raven, fourspeedwagon and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Hey, BuckeyeBuicks, here we go again.... my next door neighbor......one mile down the road from the ranch..... was five years older than me , graduated in1965 and bought a new 1969 350 horse Chevelle! That was the first new hot rod car I ever rode in! Had a ton of fun with him and that car! Drank several beers and had a bunch of races!

Lost him to cancer, several years ago!

Bones

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  20. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

We have so much in common its like we are brothers from another Mother:D:D

P.S. The guy I go to Hershey and Carlisle swap meets with has a 63 1/2 427 Galaxie along with a bunch of other Fords. I found a rusty chrome FE valve cover at a yard sale this weekend, I am making him a desk lamp out of it for his birthday, that should get me a free beer don't you think?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We have to be at least some kin!
    I would think so, on the beer......my friend is headed over to down a few as we speak!
    I envious of your friend.... the 427 has always eluded me! I have 2-428s and a 416(a410+.030)... but no 427!
    Someday I may make those meets! I hope. Put my electric bike to work! Are they a week apart?

Bones

22. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The Spring Carlisle starts on the Wed after Easter, the Fall meet is the week before Hershey. This year Hershey is the week of Oct. 7th. The best days for either is on Wed and Thurs. Friday and Saturdays are elbow to butthole with people and you just have to shuffle around, or in our case roll slowly and listen to guys bitch about having to move enough to let us through. You for sure would need you electric bike as either swap meet is a man killer, especially if you have trouble walking as we both do. Load up your handicap cart and make a road trip out of it, bring lots of cash and strap a cooler on your electric bike, you will have the time of your junk lovin life!!