Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WOW Interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Every end of summer, I see the old guys at cruise nights trying to sell me their cars. I mean guys who are older than ME... They are shooting for the moon on the prices. I told one guy if he throws in his wife we got a deal, she wasn't bad looking. We all laughed.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. blackanblue

blackanblue

I just sold my avatar, pic is 10 years ago when I first bought it BUT over those years put maybe 20.000 into it not including my labour, blower motor, redid trans,gauges, msd,wheels,tires,paint,you name it I did it. Just got my money back, but I drove and raced it for most of those 10 years, now just have the 52 GMC,,,can only drive one at a time.

3. When I see something like that I figure he would not be willing to come down much because he values it more than I would or he's fishing, so I just move on.

47ragtop, chryslerfan55 and patmanta like this.
  4. Movinman

Movinman

You would think the old car is booming if you look at some of the prices people are asking for cars down here in South Florida. Four door early 50's Chevy's owners are asking $20,000 plus for these cars. I am always tempted to call and laugh, but what would be the point? You can ask whatever you want, but the reality is what you can actually get for it. I have bought and sold a few cars recently, but I play in the $9000 to $14000 range. It seems the higher the price, the longer it takes to move the car. The cars for sale here on the HAMB seem to back that notion as I see the same higher priced ones week after week, and they aren't being sold.

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We're in a dying hobby. Put us in a category with Lionel trains and Thimble Drome racers, and plastic models. ... Its just the way it is.....

6. Colonial Coupe

Colonial Coupe

A friend with a very nice 50 Ford sedan recently tried to sell it through one of the big time dealers out of Charlotte. They expressed no interest in having the car. The price they offered for it was an insult, but there just isn't much interest in shoebox fords at the moment. Looks like even the older guys are going for the $500 down Dodge Challenger, Camaro or Mustang Gt. Plenty of power good looking factory air and a warranty.
    The odd thing is that the original Model A's seem to be holding steady and gaining interest with some of the younger crowd.
    I have my 51 for sale, it's priced fairly for a nice kustom. I didn't build it to sell but things change. If it doesn't sell I'll still enjoy driving it. I know there are a lot of cars in my area that are sitting in garages or aren't driven very often.

7. Your car is extremely nice and needs nothing my 50 Coupe is a running driving car that needs to be driven while turning into someones dream, mine is 15 grand less and I still have very little interest.

Good luck with your sale, it's a beautiful car. HRP

iron dave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. I've never noticed a up or down hotrod market place. I've never paid too much for a car. If I bought it, I must have been happy with the price or I wouldn't have parted with the cash. My friends might have said I paid too much, but since it wasn't their money, and they have no claim to the car, their opinions don't matter much to me. Likewise on the selling end. If the new owner is driving away with my car, I must have been happy with the offer or it wouldn't be leaving. Again, my friends tell me I've sold too cheap or the new buyer robbed me. I have to grin about the 'robbed' statement since I know that at least one of us in the transaction was armed, and it wasn't him. I have no problem offering what I think a car is worth, even if it's only half the asking price. The seller has the right to say no, same as I had the right to make said offer. Sellers have every right to price a car on sentimental value, but they shouldn't expect me to pay for their memories. I also get a lot of 'I got more than that in it' answers. Same problem. Why should they expect me to pay for their mistakes, poor planning, storage, or in some cases just plain stupidity. If that balloon payment is coming due on that whiz bang streetrod/hotrod sitting in the garage and the choice is between keeping the house or pitching a tent on some corner, they have a choice to make, I don't. If I offered, I have the cash.

9. The guys that say they "need to make a profit" make me chuckle. I don't care what you do with it after you buy it from me.....All of a sudden they think I'm in the wholesale business? They watch too much T.V.......

rockable, jvo, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

My buddy and best friend has decided to sell off his "big pile" and will be at NED on Sept 29. Valve covers, hubcaps, manifolds, good full 8BA motor, 425 Buick with T400, quickchange, carburetors, and much more. Look for a patina F-1.

chryslerfan55 and patmanta like this.
  11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

For the posters who said old cars is a hobby that is fading away in a sense you are right!

But I believe what is really happening is peoples interests are simply changing to other things.

As I kid each time I saw a car being built in someones garage I just kept riding my bicycle in circles until someone game out and asked me if I would you like to see their car.

Today I could ride around for day's and not see one person building a car in a garage and that tells me I am getting old because things are changing.

My business for the past 17 years has been selling reproductions of original old racing decals but I realize the guy's who buy from me each year are getting older and passing on and again I realize that peoples interest are changing.

I really do not like the changes I see coming but it's happening all around me each day.
    Just my opinion and I really wish I was wrong.

Jimbo

12. I came home to find a bicycle in my yard one day and its rider in my house putting my stuff in a pillow case. Now when I see bike riders circling around my neighborhood, the last thing on my mind is showing them my cars/tools. (Guy is still in prison, by the way...gets out in November)

13. jazz1

jazz1

buying old vehicles is like buying mining stocks, don't bet more than you can afford to lose. Recently looked at vehicle with $40K put into it and appraiser is being kind to value it at $20K. I've known the owner/builder for decades, he spent 20 years building the vehicle.
    If you are looking for specific projects you might want to shop kijiji in Canada, USD's go a long way up here.

14. I think I bought my first "old car" in about 1972. I bought it because it was affordable and I loved old antique cars, always have. I never intended or expected to sell it for more than I had in it. I don't think I ever actually made any money on selling off one of my old cars until just a few years ago, it was rare to make money on a car you bought and fixed up. So...if the bottom falls out of the prices on old cars it means more people can afford to play with them again.
    Seems like every time I get interested in a hobby, everybody else does also and drives the prices up to where its no longer fun. Cheap old cars should be the norm again....

15. Try registering a non-registered project car in California and you will see why they are cheap.

16. I’m afraid the same thing has happened in the Harley Davidson market as well. From 2003-2008 the market slowly declined each year. Remember 2003 was Harley’s 100 birthday, and it seemed like after that most everyone in motorcycles lost interest. After 2008, the motorcycle market tanked and has not come back. And you guys that think hot rod parts are expensive, look at Harley parts! $1000 for many exhaust systems!!! For two chrome pipes and a couple of chespshit brackets??? You retailers are Nucken Futs! Oh well, I’m not sure what if anything can be done about the two markets. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. True, you see it at Hershey in recent years the Model A's and the A parts are for sale by the buckets. That generation has gotten too old, if they are lucky. They no longer can even drive or enjoy their cars. Before that it was the T's. The V8 guys are next. The traditional Hot Rod guys, (me included) have been where things are going. Especially people from other countries. Two years ago everything I sold in Hershey was going over seas. I see this slowing down as well with not as many younger folks getting into the Hot Rod game. Certainly The HAMB has helped, even American Graffiti was some what of a boost. Think about it! My interest has been since the late 50's early 60"s. It is what I grew up with and that is why it still interests me. Kids today grew up with Honda's and Camry's:eek: I have thought of selling some of my collection. I guess I need to stop buying first.:p

18. Kinda what my stock broker said about my cars..........

mkebaird and ct1932ford like this.
  19. 32Stoker

32Stoker

My hypothesis is that Baby Boomers are going through the following Stages of realization:

1) Smug overvaluation/overpricing of cars based on time/$ “invested” equation, followed by...

2) Softening of prices when sales don’t come as fast as anticipated, followed by...

3) Panic price-dropping when they realize that the generation following them doesn’t place nearly as much value on said cars.

I think we’re currently between Stages 1 and 2, hence the randomness of pricing.

Stage 3 will arrive within the next 10 years.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    weps, wicarnut, tractorguy and 6 others like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep but the car has been on the road like that for a number of years. I wouldn't bat an eye at jumping in it and takin off for Texas or Florida in it except no AC. Appearace wise it is very HAMB friendly. Maybe too much so for the bling crazed guys here locally.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, warbird1 and Blues4U like this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

I see lots of guys saying a car is over priced, so how do you determine what the value of a car really is?
    I have a non-Ford truck, it looks good, runs good, and drives good. It is pretty much a one of, pretty unique. I built it to drive, but things have change and I need it to go to a new owner. How is a guy suppose to "price it right" when no one seems to have any idea what its "worth"? The supposed used car price guides are not even close. Gene

rockable and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'm new to this hobby, but would tend to agree with what others have said about declining interest and values (generally). I'm the very last year of the baby boomers (born in 65), so I'm seeing most are older than I, and I grew up in the muscle car age of the 80's and 90's. That no longer interests me, and with all the recent high performance factory cars, I think interest in the muscle cars has also further wained. That being said, I feel, and maybe it's just me, there is resurgence in having an automobile that is unique. Today, everyone pretty much can have a super fast Mustang, Camero, Challenger, but I think people now want something that sets them apart from the herd. I actually checked out an old Model T roadster for sale locally. Absolutely mint and complete, but asking price was CAN$18K. I think the next 5 years will be critical in whether the market completely tanks or rebounds.

23. Just step back and look at it like you've never seen it before and don't know how it drives. Now ask yourself what you'd pay. That's what your future buyer is doing. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

weps and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. clem

clem

Am I the only one here that views this as a hobby.
    Do the prices really matter ?
    Just happy to enjoy the cars, not continually looking at their values !

weps, lewk, IronFord and 8 others like this.
  25. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Um...yes...you are.

clem likes this.
  26. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

People have been complaining about the prices of old cars as long as I can remember. If they're not too high, they're too low. I chalk it up to old guys who just need something to complain about.

People spend crazy amounts of money on other things, like playing golf or going skiing, but they're never concerned about the resale value of their golf clubs or skis. Sure, it would be nice to make a profit when you sell an old car, but if that's your main concern you're in the wrong hobby.

27. jazz1

jazz1

For those of us who do all our own work we can recover our hot rods costs usually. Unlike a hobby like boating. This came to my attention as I watched a hour of “boat fails” on YouTube last night

jvo and raven like this.
  28. 2935ford

2935ford

I've been watching this market for a vey long time. I'm not so sure you will be able to wait it out this time......I think this market is in permanent decline.
    On the flip side......a little while longer and if you are in the buyer market......a good time is ahead but plan to buy the right car and want to keep it. JMHO

I recently sold two of my cars to one fellow. My AV8 roadster and my Hot Ro Dort are now gone. Had them posted in the classifieds for quite some time. I'm just finishing up my '28 Tudor and found and bought a stock '29 A coupe which I've wanted for awhile. My first thought was to AV8 it but after driving it, I think I'll just keep it this way. So, down to two and I think that's it for me. Just drive and maintenance now.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  29. 2935ford

2935ford

If it's a car I am after, dicker but I would never tell a seller their crazy........they can ask what they want!

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is a very good question. It seems to me that pricing a car tends to be a very subjective thing. We are passionate creatures and we become very passionate about our cars, both those we own and those we desire.

I struggled with this when I was shopping for a car, and in an effort to remove emotion and add some objectivity to the process I developed a spreadsheet, my "Used Car Value sheet". I'm probably the only one who's a big enough geek to create a spreadsheet like this. But I was on a search for about a year and a half before I found my 47 Coupe, so I looked at dozens, probably hundreds, of cars. I had to come up with a way to quantify the value of what I was looking at. So I built this spreadsheet, and I modified it over time, but in the end it works really well. It was developed for gauging the value of a car I was interested in buying, but you could also use it for setting the price of a car for sale.

The sheet consists of a series of columns for things about the cars, and I created a points system for each column, and the columns total up for a "Total Points". Then I added a "Value" column, which is the total of points divided by the asking price. And finally the last column is a total of Points + Value.

Columns are Make/Model (Desirability), Body Condition, Paint, Color, Interior, Dash, Engine, Power Train, Chassis, Wheels/Tires, Road Trip Capability, the Location - where the car is located compared to me, Visual Appeal, & Price. I developed a system of appointing points to each column that is an attempt at making the valuation objective and dispassionate. For instance, under Make/Model I came up with this scoring system: "5 = Most desirable (Duece, 40 Ford, Coupes, Roadsters) Favorite brand, 4 = 2 door sedans/pickup, sedan delivery of favorite brand, or Coupe Roadster of lesser brand, 3 = 2 door sedan/pickup, sedan delivery of lesser brand, 2 = 4 doors, 1 = wagon". Another example, for Engines I came up with this: "10 = OHV Engine dressed nicely in good condition, or blown Flathead Ford/Merc, ready to show, 9 = OHV Engine not dressed but good condition, or Ford Flathead V8 dressed nicely, mulitple carbs, 8 = Ford Flathead moderately dressed, 7 = Ford Flathead stock, or other make l8 or l6 nicely dressed, multiple carbs, split exhaust, 6 = Ford Flathead with minor issues, or other make l6 stock, 5 = Vintage engine with moderate issues, poor appearance, 4 = visible oil leaks, 3 = Engine performance issues, knocks, smoke, mis-fire, 2 = ??, 1 = non-running".

These scores obviously reflect my personal tastes, and remain somewhat subjective. A person could assign their own values based on their personal tastes. I expect most will find this stupid, and that it takes all the fun out of it. But it helped me a lot. BTW, the car I ended up buying did not place highest on my list, passion won out after all.

Al T and chryslerfan55 like this.