Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fixing old Sun Electric test gear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by four-thirteen, Mar 15, 2009.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

My father still has a Sun Distributor tester and some other Sun test equipment for sale if anyone is interested.

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I am interested but the shipping cost will be high. What model is the distributor machine?

3. noboD

noboD

I have a Sun model GA tach/dwell meter. The tach works fine but the dwell doesn't. Any suggestions how or what to test or look for to get it going?

4. noboD

noboD

Anyone? Help.

5. Jeff PM

Jeff PM

If any one is interested.

Working order Sun Scope SS-87 $75 + Shipping.

6. picturetaker

picturetaker

I have.
    Sun Model 700 engine analizer with oscilloscope.
    Sun Model 820 engine analizer with oscilloscope and rolling cabinet.
    R.E. Allen engine analizer with oscilloscope and extra scope for this one.
    These are for engines with points and condensers.
    These are located in Muskegon. Michigan, these are not hand held units.
    They can be seen in some museums. I think most of the gages work and one scope works.
    If anyone is interested, call Jim at 231-744-2767.

7. flat8

flat8

I've got a Sun cct-10 coil/condenser tester and need the test leads for it. Anybody have an extra set or know where I might find some? Sun/Snap-On was no help. I'd really like to get this operational; so many flatheads, so little time!!!!----------Mark

8. John Washburn

John Washburn

Still for sale? does it work? got a picture?

John W

9. pigwolfer

pigwolfer

cool stuff! i picked these up today... was wondering if anybody knew anything about them? they appear to be either military or for some kind of off-roading judging by their heavy duty cases. pretty neat!

Attached Files:

10. dakotaman

dakotaman

Hi everyone, new to the forum, I have come across a CCT-10 Sun coil tester, and in the process of changing out the capacitors in it. The CRT was a little dim so hoping this will help. The one I have does not have the volt divider assy. so I'm sure it won't check a coil without it. I have talked to Robert Masters, he doesn't have any, just wondering if anyone here has an extra. OR... if they know how to build one. I am assuming it is a capacitor of sorts, I know on the inductive pickup type they do use a capacitor. If so has anyone tried to build one or happen to know the value of capacitor? Any help appreciated. Thanks Dale.

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

12. Fiftyplus

Fiftyplus

Anyone have the manual for the Sun Coil Tester model AA2. This is the 12 volt tester.
    Thanks,
    Page Campbell
    [email protected]

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  13. I have this one setting in my shop. Everything works but will be needing some new leads one of these days.

Attached Files:

14. Thanks so much for the tips. I have an older Sun Tester and a newer, 1970s Peerless tester. Both units are complete but the Peerless unit is fully functional whereas the Sun scope is in need of new electrolytics. I have it down as a rainy day job, and now that I have this valuable information you have supplied, I hope to make it fully functional as well.
    Bob

15. T J Mack

T J Mack

Hi. I'm new here. When I first started looking at this thread about an hour ago there was 13 pages of stuff. Now I can only find 2 pages. Does anyone know what happened?

More to the point, I have a series 400 distributor tester that works good except at distributor speeds below about 1200 the strobe stops flashing. Can anyone offer any help?

Truck64 likes this.
  16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Mark at Paramount has modern electronics and updates that can fix that up
    paramountd.com/
    I have a piece I need for my 504 Distributor Tester, but not having luck, probably because most machine are fixable of become shop art- it's missing the bezel and glass for the Vacuum Guage- if anyone has a line other than Paramount. Keep searching ebay, no joy yet

thumbnail.jpg

17. Welcome to the forum. Most of the older electronic devices will at some point suffer degradation or total failure as a result of the failure of the electrolytic capacitors. This problem is compounded in older electronic devices, because of the higher voltages and higher levels of heat that were common in these older devices.
    Electrolytic capacitors, are often the first component to fail in any electrical device. This is because of the design of the component, but the problem is, that there really isn't anything else that can do the job as well.
    A good example of how electrolytic capacitors are treated by hobbiests when they rebuild older tube type radios, is that they automatically replace all the electrolytic capacitors before doing any other troubleshooting.
    If you want to use the machine, I would suggest that you find a technician that understands the older tube type systems. It would also be handy for you to find a schematic of the circuitry for your machine. Sometimes, the manufacturer pasted a schematic on the inside of the access panel for the device. Have a look there first.
    Most of these old machines are just used for display, but they can easily be rebuilt by someone familiar with these older devices. If you can't find technician that is familiar with tube type technology, maybe you could find an old ham radio hobbiest. They would have the skills you need.
    Good luck with your project.
    Bob

Truck64 likes this.
  18. egads

egads

Truck64 likes this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yeah the key thing here is don't try to operate vintage electronics, or even plug them in, "to see if it works". Bad Idea. Electrolytics are used because they pack large amounts of capacitance in a relatively small space at low cost. The downside is they aren't always reliable. They are the large "cans" seen in electronics.

They are filled with a wet paste, which eventually dries out. They are often used to smooth out pulsed DC in power supplies. Replacing them is very important for reliability and proper operation, and they are not that expensive.

The idea generally is to avoid excessive current draw through a device, the main power supply, as this will roast everything upstream and downstream, vacuum tubes, resistors, and especially, impossible to source or expensive proprietary components like transformers, pots, and weird value chokes and gee-gaws.

The waxed paper-foil capacitors don't fare well either. Replacing both the electrolytic power supply and waxed bypass and coupling capacitors with equal value and voltage rating will 99% of the time usually get you going again with excellent results. If you know which end of the soldering iron to hold it's a good wintertime hobby. The old school test equipment is usually very well made and goes well with classics and collectables, and will still do their job.

j-jock likes this.
  20. Terranova

Terranova

21. I highly recommend the Antique Radio site. There is an incredible knowledge base on that site, and you can often get difficult to find information on old electronic devices. I have never looked for information on automotive test gear on the site, but I have found a lot of useful information on old, tube type, radios.
    Bob

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I don't know why old SUN equipment is so cool to me but it is. Just one of those things you cant explain but is what it is.

23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The .org link above is actually Phil Nelson's site, very good for beginners. The forums I think you're describing are at antiqueradios.com which I also agree is great.

24. You are correct, but this looks like a good site as well. I will be going back to have an in depth look.
    Bob

25. HotRod-1

HotRod-1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello,
    Does anyone have a repair/service manual for the Sun Electric CCT-10 coil condenser tester? I'm looking for the part numbers for the vacuum tubes inside along with a schematic. Appreciate any possible leads.