Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Yah. That was easy we were dry and had light. We also had the benefit of a safe neighborhood. Jim when are you hitting the road?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Wednesday or Thursday. 3 long days of driving.

loudbang, enloe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  3. The heads went on last night. I let them cure 24 hrs. I had put some silicone on the bench to see if it hardened and it did so this tube was good. The other tubes contents never set up correctly.
    After work I started out filling the radiator then turning on the electric water pump. The intake was not on so I had a unobstructed view of both heads. There were no leaks so it all went back together. A nut fell into the engine so the pan had to come off. Good thing I had a spare gasket. I will fire it up after work. Thanks for all the encouragement it helps me keep going. Mark stopped by and organized most of the trailer. I'm a little more relaxed tonight. Things are coming together.

4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Stogy, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Reading this about the nut falling into the engine made me think of that old ditty on Hee Haw, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!

6. Those things happen when the work goes on for days and sleep is hard to find. I work a 12 hr shift Wednesday and I'm off Thursday. If all goes well I will do a little work on the lenco and go for a ride. I would like to be loaded up before I go to bed. I can clean the car over the weekend. It's a mess.

7. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

and we call this fun! I remember those week night flogs to get ready for the weekend while doing my SCCA thing in the early 70s.

8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Good Luck Brian! I hope Drag week has good weather and you have fast et’s.

9. The morning didn't start out good. I started the car and the front seal blew. The pump bushing wore out. How do I know? I spent the next 8 hrs pulling it all apart to then spend about the same amount of time putting it all back together. The car was started on the lift in gear to run fluid through the converter. The tires didn't turn at all. The pressure gauge shows 0 lbs. It will all come apart again. Something is wrong under the front pump cover. Notice how the pics go from day to night. 20190905_205806.jpg 20190905_163435.jpg 20190905_163446.jpg 20190905_205806.jpg 20190905_163435.jpg 20190905_163446.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  10. loudbang

loudbang

Dam that's not a good start.

enloe and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Good The Bad and The Ugly...the most fortunate silver lining if there is such a thing is you are safe...This could have happened in a much more serious situation. Again not good news and frustrating...and Fingers Crossed.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Uh oh.

Sent from my Trimline

13. What he said !!!

Stogy, enloe and loudbang like this.
  14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

YIKES!!!!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Damn!! Go Brian go!! Your drag week fun with squirrel is one of the things I look forward to all year. I’m pulling for you

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. Got up early took it apart and this is what I found. Broken pump gear. Now off to Illinois to brunos. 20190906_100258.jpg

17. Gosh, the fun just never ends.

FinnishFireball, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I admire your racing spirit! Over the years I have watched you . It seems no one can match you for constant preventative maintenance and quick fixes to equipment that continues to break at the worst possible times despite your preventive maintenance. I look forward to watching you survive and conquer drag week.

19. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Go man go i am 5 hours from the track. I hope ya make it.
    Tony

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. The bruno is fixed. When the gear broke it roughed up the case slightly. The main case was put in the lathe to have the pump surface machined flat. .005 was all it needed. The new pump gears were ground to match the old pump housing. They are made over size then ground for .003-.004 clearance. They are made out of powdered metal. If dropped they will break. They are very brittle. I don't know why they use that material. Bruno said he has seen gears break when installing the converter. The issue now is finding someone to fix the converter snout. It was damaged and needs to be replaced. 20190906_125020.jpg 20190906_162227.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like a Ford converter hub?

Sent from my Trimline

22. It uses a gm dimensions. The hub uses a c-6 seal and bushing. I have exhausted all my resources to fix the hub tonight. I can't get it fixed until monday.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Jeez, sometimes it seems like if it wasn’t for bad luck, you wouldn’t have any luck at all.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Looks like some gouges. Weld em and refinish? The hub is ruined anyway, would it hurt to try?

25. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Glad to help out if you want. Im on the S W side of Milwaukee if you need a hand or machines.

26. Does that mean no drag week for you?

27. squirrel

squirrel

No drag week for Brian this year, damn.

28. That sucks, I’m sorry to hear this Brian.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Thanks guys. I don't think I have worked so hard on something for no return in my life. It's one thing to quit and there were plenty of opportunities believe me. We didn't quit. We kept going until there were no more options available. I hate quitters. Sometimes you just get beat. Being from Wisconsin Vince Lombardi was a part of growing up. He had many great quotes. Look the guy up. One of them is a man is not judged for getting knocked down but how he gets back up. The car will be fixed this week. We will go to the grove next Saturday. It's all we can do.
    That's the drag in drag racing. It can be a cruel sport at times. My parents told me life is not fair and to be ready to deal with disappointments. I'm ok with not making the race only because I gave it all I had. We will be back next year. There is still some season left this year.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  30. There is not one person that could argue whether or not you gave it your all. I have great admiration for your work ethic and attitude. Now that drag week is out, set that thing on kill and let’s see what it’s got!!