Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead bellhousing trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

Anyone know what trans I could use with this bellhousing, I can drill it if I need to [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

If that's a four speed bellhousing I had an adapter made and bolted an S10 five speed to it. Read an article about it in a Model A magazine, Ford used the same bolt pattern from 1928 up into the 50's. Didn't end up using it because the shifter was too far back in my Model A .

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any Ford tranny from 49 to 64 has that bolt pattern. Some of the 65 trannies had both that pattern and the wider late one.. That bell housing came from a 52 Merc.

stillrunners and Boden like this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have the starter plate and dust cover for that bell housing?

5. Boden

Boden

Neither. I have the one from the ford O-Matic tho

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Bell housing is not from a ‘52 Merc, rather was introduced mid-year ‘51 Merc only. It is unique in that it has the early Ford shaft style throw out fork coupled with the ‘49 thru ‘64 Ford/‘52 thru ‘64 Merc trans bolt pattern. ‘52 Merc was like ‘49 up Ford regarding the clutch release arm. This trans is sought for adapting ‘80s era F-100/150 SROD overdrive trans to post ‘48 Ford/Merc Flathead (also ‘48 up 8RT engines).

Ray

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    tubman likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not a 4 speed bell housing. See above post.

Ray

tubman likes this.
  8. Boden

Boden

Could it take this trans?[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

“Probably”......that is a dual pattern trans case flange.

Ray

10. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

you might have to open up the pinion support flange hole?

11. 28rp

28rp

Joe, s right. When I put a Toploader behind an 8BA in my 35 p/up , from memory I had to open the hole in the centre by 3mm.My bell housing came from an Aussie ,53 Mainline ute. A very tough piece to find. Took me a couple of years to find one. Beware though, the hole in the centre aint necessarily so!-Mine was way low and we had to make some offset dowel pins to centralise every thing so the input shaft was a neat straight fit into the pilot bearing.

12. Boden

Boden

I don’t have a lathe or anything. Maybe I could just hone the hole out?

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had the exact same bell housing that I was going to use to install a 4 speed toploader with a Jeep shifter tower I found the input bearing cover was too large for the existing hole in the bell housing. I was planning on have the bearing cover cut down on a lathe so it would fit but I ended up going another direction. IMO honing out the hole in the bell housing is a bad idea. The hole helps center the trans so it aligns with the pilot bushing. I seriously doubt that everything would line up correctly by honing out the hole unless you set it up on a mill. Again, JMHO.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might rig up a die grinder to the crankshaft flange and enlarge the hole with the bellhousing mounted to the block.

15. BODEN,,,best use would be "in the trash can"OR a boat anchor...maybe you could study it over for a while you see its not close even being adaptable...

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's a simple fix on the pilot hole mismatch, you can either find a throw out bearing sleeve out of a 1964 toploader, or turn the existing one down in a lathe, it would take about 10 minutes. As others have stated, don't mess with the hole in the bell housing, that centers the pilot shaft, and is very critical for proper alignment. Do you need the clutch thru shaft for your application ?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  17. Boden

Boden

Sorry. I just don’t want that fordonatic or a t5. I want to stay traditional. Some people say it can work

18. 28rp

28rp

Ye
    Yep, we set it up in a mill. The guy that did the job works in the speedway industry He has also repaired damaged quick changes for me-knows his stuff