Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48-52 Ford F1 Cowl Vent operation question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THR1LL3R, May 2, 2019.

1. I’m having trouble with my cowl vent either being to tight or not opening all the way and eventually falling. Does anyone have a schematic, pictures or have advice on how to properly adjust it?

Thanks!

2. What a Rube Goldberg contraption. LOL, It's all in the slotted piece and connecting arm. They have to be parallel or it will bind. Too loose and you forgot to install the spring washers.
    On my 47 I figured out how to make it open backwards........another story..

3. anyone? Bueller?

4. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

It’s spring loaded against a knurled washer kinda thing, if I remember right. Seems I just tightened the nut (against the spring and knurled piece) until it seemed like it had good tension. Last week when I tried opening it for the first time since last fall it was binding up. My grease gun has that John Deere corn head grease in it from doing the steering box a few weeks ago, so I smeared a little of that in the works and now she’s smooth as butta. And doesn’t fall closed.
    I do have a pic I took some years ago before I first took it apart, so I’d get it back together right. I’ll try to find it if you think you really need it.

THR1LL3R likes this.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 has similar mechanics, I took it all apart and polished all the dirty work...
    once I stacked the spring, washers, and bolt I had the presence of mind to replace the nut with a Nyloc. Lubed everything, adjusted it, smooth as glass.
    Nyloc nut holds tension, if the adjustment seems to 'loosen' just a 1/16 turn of the nut.
    Polish the slotted shaft, and all the hardware.

6. Looking for a picture or drawing?? anyone????

7. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Try the FordBarn.

8. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

9. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

First one was during disassembly. Last two were the best shots I could get for you tonite.

THR1LL3R likes this.
  10. Thanks!

Moon50F3 likes this.
  11. jazz1

jazz1

Can't help but a local fellow has his cowl vent and windshield frame operating with electric motor. Its slick however I did not look at what exactly he used. They both operate very smoothly.