Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WOW Interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

If you look at the Cars for Sale section of the HAMB it looks like many of the cars for sale are getting price reductions on a daily basis each time I look at it.

Kind of a heads up on which way the car market for old cars and hot rods is going right now.

Just my opinion Jimbo

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The market has been pretty soft for almost a year now I think...

Pinstriper40 and wicarnut like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Similar pattern on CL. Prices start out high and over the weeks the prices start coming down.

4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I notice that project cars from CA are coming in under 10K and the east coast people are still asking 15 to 20K for a beat up old station wagon and four door sedans.

uncleandy 65 likes this.

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I've been watching prices go down as well. I don't look on CL for cars anymore as them charging for ads has tanked the listings. I've been watching the Marketplace on FB lately and seeing some interesting listings. There's a '56 panel delivery on there for $12k that is really tempting. Good thing I'm out of room......

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Near as I can tell, nobody's buying. I've got a couple friends trying to sell cars and it's all tire kickers, hecklers, or no-shows no matter the price.

Unfortunately, I think the story is that far too many shady used car dealers and outright scammers were abusing CL because it was free to post as BY OWNER.

Some folks (like me, to an extent) won't list on FB marketplace because I don't really want to share my profile with every worldwide rando looking to dicker me down on my stuff (and then not show up).

Ebay is and has been ridiculous and the last (as listed) $40 part I tried to buy here the guy asked $200 for.

A lot of folks with big piles seem to be sitting out the swaps or leaving anything heavy at home.

It's getting REALLY hard to buy stuff and twice as hard to sell it lately.

7. Brenda listed my '50 Ford coupe on hb market place and it is amazing what people want to trade me for the car, clapped out hondas, non running jeeps or , "I see your asking 10 grand, will you take 3,000.?"

Yeah, I think the market is soft, If you have to sell and can't wait it out your going to take a beating. HRP

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

That’s sounds more like c/l, I have more luck on marketplace. In the north land people want to get rid of their car before winter

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@patmanta and @HOTRODPRIMER could be right. I've got two projects that I'm trying to get together. One is a steel 27 T roadster that I want to build with a flathead and 39 tranny. The other is a 46 Merc 4 door that runs but needs to be gone through to bring it up to something I would be comfortable taking someone out for a ride in. Every time I get a chance to work on either, I wonder why I didn't just buy one that was complete.
    Then I wouldn't have the extra time involved in finding parts priced out of my range.
    If HRP's shoebox been for sale when I bought the 46, I would have very possibly have bought that instead. I had a 50 Ford when I was 18 that I put 17 transmissions and God only knows how many rear axles in. Rebuilt transmissions from Evard Humphrey's shop in Oklahoma City were $17 apiece exchange and sometimes that was hard to come by. I'm not a cheapskate, just a guy who is finding out that at the age of 75, birthday was yesterday, it's just as hard financially to get a car built that represents what I remember trying to get on the road when I was 17 and had the same problems of paying for stuff.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Happy belated birthday:)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have thought about listing the '27 T Tudor for awhile but other things put it on the back burner. Now I have found two potential projects and not sure how to list to get it sold. Everything is new or rebuilt but I am thinking that the rebuilt motor/trans combo would be perfect for a certain project.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  12. Market for pre-60's cars has been going south for a while, couple years at least around here and I don't really see how it will come back. People for that market are just plain getting old.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Flippers don't want to pay a fair price for vehicles or parts . So they are back to zero. They seem to not want to make a little profit, they want to go big or go home.

14. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

A lot of uk guys are giving up importing projects cos uk driver vehicle licensing agency won't register an import in uk unless it's roadworthy.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

The market is soft on everything, I've got stuff in about every category on eBay and things are slow all around. List most of my stuff with the make an offer option, 99% of the time I'll take it. Most of my stuff is in the $20.00 or less range. Bob

16. Even the prices for parts at swap meets are soft. Last swap meet I went to I almost had to give away stuff. One guy I know did give away stuff. I wanted to get rid of what I sold so I took what I could get. At least its not cluttering up my garage now. Last car I listed for sale got offers of half or less of what I wanted so I decided to just keep it.
    If I have to be buried in it, at least its about the same price as a coffin!:eek:

17. CME1

CME1

"WOW" is right on! I am in So.Idaho, and I have not seen the "Soft Market" in the old car sales area. In fact, I see the prices going up! I am looking at 1940 thru 1950 and some early 1960 cars. They are out sight in pricing. I have been looking for a car in Idaho ,Oregon ,Washington, and Nevada. Same story, they are all over the place, but the prices are at all time highs.

Thor1 and Squablow like this.
  18. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Asking prices, sure, but are they actually selling those cars or just stuck with them and their for sale signs?

19. Patiently waiting for the market to drop enough so I can finally afford that 29-36 Ford coupe I've always wanted.
    Oh yeah, the Canuck Buck ain't worth a fuck.
    Probably have to stick with the o/t stuff.
    Except for the body, it's all the same anyways.

1morecarIpromise! likes this.
  20. I saw an unbelievably good '34 Ford coupe at a cruise night last week, asking $45k, but it was an all-out show piece, BBC with a blower, chrome galore. Must have cost 3x the asking price to build it.

21. I saw a 34 Ford coupe last month at a car show for $28k and it was nice, steel body but glass fenders. Looked to be all finished street rod. But unless I could get rid of some of mine, I was not in the market for one....no more room in the inn.

bobss396 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with CME1, I'm not seeing much of anything cheap around Wisconsin as far as drivers go. Most of what I see for sale are massive projects that would take years to complete, or finished, high end builds which are priced less than the cost of doing them but still out of reach for most. There never really was a time you could rebuild a car from the ground up to show quality and get all of your money back, that's not some new trend.

It is a bad time of year to sell an old car right now anyway, and I think a lot of what some of you guys are seeing is based on where and how you're looking or selling. Craigslist is a dead format, much as the classifieds in the newspaper before it. Occasionally something might pop up there but there's very little action. My eBay parts sales are insanely good this year, but there's new strategies to selling stuff there now and it's always changing. What worked 3 years ago doesn't work anymore.

And as much as I hate to say it, the HAMB sure feels like an old guy hangout lately. I'm 38 and I feel like most guys I'm talking to here are twice my age. The people that you're talking to on the forum pages are the same guys who are looking at the classified ads, (old guys who already have a bunch of projects or finished cars and are looking for a way out) and I don't think that's where the buyers are.

Movinman, patmanta, Wraith and 5 others like this.
  23. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

The second Golden Age of hot rodding is coming. If you're a buyer save your $$$$! Prices are only going to get better. If you're a seller, sell now before your life collection is worthless.
    Speed equipment has come down too, which is super cool!

I've got all the cars I could ever want... Except maybe that $5k deuce sedan roller.

24. CME1

CME1

Yes asking prices. I have called and looked at 12 different old cars in the last couple months and only one seller was willing to reduce his price by $500. Any way I'll keep looking. The right one will come along!

chryslerfan55 and patmanta like this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no easy answer on selling/buying something - just need seller/buyer to be in the same place at the same time and the right deal for both - no problem - Ha!

The37Kid likes this.
  26. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I have had the '57 up for sale for a few months now. I have just had a few ask "what would you take" or " I need to buy it right so I can make some money."
    So, I have decided to just run the wheels off of it and do some modifications to change the style of it. Next year it may be a full custom or a gasser or whatever.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some newby politicians are really blowing their horns about the electric cars now...Argument is that 'clunkers' (her words, not mine) won't have the electronic conversations with other vehicles that will prevent all accidents in the very near future.
    Another 'clunker buy back' is now in the wings, regardless of its predecessor's outcome in the last go-around.
    Hard as it has been to sell parts/projects/ cars lately, I don't see this late rumor as being any help!
    I too have loads of stuff for sale.

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Drive it around and put a NOT FOR SALE sign on it and call the numbers on the notes you get under your windshield wiper.

29. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Market maybe soft except 32 Fords!

Roadsir and ct1932ford like this.
  30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I think the market is resetting itself. Right now it’s a buyers market. Too many people saw a mint, restored, rare car sell on one of the “tent auction shows” and decided their 4 door rust bucket was worth as much. I’ve been shopping a lot lately and finding some great buys. Patience is key. Sold a couple projects recently and got what I needed by not asking for a bunch of blue sky. Have looked at a lot of misrepresented junk that was rusted and badly repaired so they could cash in, plain and simple. Maybe if a few of the idiots I’ve met take a few baths on selling (trying to sell anyway) their overpriced junk they will find some place else to play. There are some nice cars out there for good money if you are buying.

SPark