Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

I kind of like it there I can get through the gears and my elbow never leaves the window sill, lol.
    I just finished all my body mounts, wow what a difference, the front were thin as a cracker and as brittle, the rear row of four were still the correct width but were progressively crushed the further forward you went, I believe I gained back an inch from the three inch reverse eye spring.;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Worked the boards over while doing the mounts since they are part of the stack up, and they needed the rubber top mat replaced, Ace Hardware, $10.
    [​IMG]
    Stripped the old red caps, and used a copper wheel plate kit on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good idea on the rubber Matt’s from ace! I’ve got body mounts on my shopping list. Any advice on getting them in/out?

I think I have some sagging and that’s what’s causing my doors to not want to latch like I want.

Follow up thoughts: how do the running boards come off? I see you’ve got it on your work bench I’ve never had mine apart.

All the older guys that comment that they also moved there’s to the left tell me it was because they could cruise with a girl and not have to move his arm to shift

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

The running boards bolt at each corner and end to the fender, corner of each end of the board, they are pinched by two mounts that ride on brackets on the outside of the frame, I unbolted and removed these two brackets, there are three 9/16 bolts on the inside these came out pretty easy, the 1/2 inch bolts to the outside all broke from rust.
    The body mounts weren't to bad to replace it is some what time consuming getting the old rusty bolts out, two bolts and mounts towards the middle of the body and one dead center the rest of them are along the outside edges.
    About half of the rubber mounts just sit over a tab on the frame and need no bolt, you do want to order the bolt kit with the mounts, I used a couple of little giant jacks and a piece of 2x4 between to protect the body rails and carefully jacked one side at a time and replaced.
    Rusty bolts are the hard part, it did make a noticeable difference in my car but the front mounts were almost flat.
    The male mounts take bolts and the rubber ring and washer, the female mounts just lie on top of the frame over a tab.
    [​IMG]
    The brackets that stick out from the frame that pinch the boards two on each side.
    [​IMG]

Stogy, brEad and Tim like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great info, thanks! I’m sure I’ll pick your brain more later

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

797FEC4B-C67F-4CFC-875F-D27D6E6A1308.jpeg Little rubber rake this evening

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haven’t got much done lately. Front drivers wheel bearing is making noise, parked it and got parts just haven’t had a minute to get into it and see what’s going on.

Gonna try to get after it this weekend, maybe wash it and come up with a time table for getting the paint finished polishing/buffing etc.

Hoping to get a lot of driving in this fall.

Did have it outside for some photos this last weekend though :)

519AC1DC-1520-40F3-A604-BB32924E17BB.jpeg Got another little hot rodder on the way :D

Stogy, kidcampbell71, brEad and 7 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So far looks like they are just dry. Re pack em and we’ll see. 9494F891-300B-4913-8830-8F577FAFAB00.jpeg Glad I bought all new inner, outer and seals for both sides. It’s a good way to make sure won’t need them when you crack it open to find out haha

8. redzula

redzula

Told ya on IG but congrats on the new addition to the fam. I'll be watching for you to do the body mounts so I know how much of a PITA mine will be.

Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man. It’ll probably be a while as it’s pretty far back on my current to do list sadly.

I’ll be sure to post how fun it wasn’t when i do though :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Congrats on the next baby!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man!

46 is back on the ground, just packed a crazy amount of grease into the bearings like some sort of magic disappearing trick put it back together and sat it down.

Seems it still needs new king pin bushings on the driver side but I think it’s bearable for the moment. I’ll fix it this winter I suppose.

Just trying to get back to driving the 46 and wrenching on the A buts it’s been fighting me all summer.

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Finally off the stands and on the road. 66FDBECE-402A-4182-A3A1-CFD10EFFCB00.jpeg Seems low on trans fluid, and still needs valve covers that hold a seal. But for now I’ll add fluids and drive it. It gets pissy at me when I don’t drive it.

Gonna try to finish polishing the paint this weekend and get it cleaned for greaserama Labor Day weekend.

LBCD, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. Looking good Tim!

Tim likes this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanks man. Haven't really been giving it to much attention. I’d rather be driving it but it’s been delay after delay this summer. Hopefully I’ll get a good streak in now.

Been focusing a lot on the A to get it to a certain point before the new baby arrives but I think this weekend I’m going to try to get the paint polished finally and get it clean and waxed like I was going to do in April lol

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got the car dialed in a little better the last few days. Also found out that a drop axle won’t straddle a chunk of blown tire on the interstate lol good thing it’s forged. EA823043-639F-46A4-8559-5A16A27D2595.jpeg

redzula, brEad, Shadow Creek and 4 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well, the good news is I had a visitor!
    2E288999-B4B4-455D-B621-FE83E941DF80.jpeg @redzula came down for the weekend in his 47. Was pretty cool watching him move down the road giving me a pretty good idea what mine looks like doing the same.

The bad news.

I didn’t get a side by side photo because the car is in need of some repairs :S

More on that when I get it apart and have a better idea of what’s going on.

Stogy, Thor1, Inked Monkey and 2 others like this.
  17. redzula

redzula

Had a blast man... I thought about missing getting a photo of the 2 together until we we're halfway back to Iowa. Good luck with the repairs. Can't wait to get back down there.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah, I keep thinking of other shows and stuff that could coincide with your visits haha

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright got the car up on jack stands and the wheels off.

I ripped the passenger side upper shock mount off the car taking some metal with it.

Appears it came free on the bump out of my garage because not as much as the grease was smudged. But with it out I can see how it was rubbing the inner fender for a while now.

I’ve got some, what I think, are stock 47-8 tube shock upper mounts that came off a friends 46 but looking at a stock 48 with tube shocks it looks like a 46 and a 48 don’t share inner fenders with the tube shock car having a cove/divot to clear the mount.

My current plan is to mock it up and see what hits. I’m thinking if it needs spaced away from the frame I’ll cut some 1/4 plate to shape to move it out.

Going to see if a c3 vette rear shock will fit the space.

Over all a bit time consuming but nothing we can’t handle.

Bummer it’s off the road though, I really got it into a nice groove for a minute

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  20. redzula

redzula

What no damage pics? Good luck with the repairs. I've heard it mentioned you can't use the normal hot rod shock mounts or like F1 mounts but never heard why. Seems like something could be adapted to work.

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The photos make me cringe so I’m waiting until I have it fixed lol. I’ve got some mounts to use but I see no reason an f1 style mount couldn’t be bent to clear

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Small kinda sorta update. Talked it over and came up with a plan of action. Will probably get to it after the hill climb, but So far we are thinking about an hour and a stick welder and we’ll be back groovin

Stogy, redzula, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Had my buddy Neko lay this down the other day 987971A2-C483-4A21-976E-FDA1951AAA7A.jpeg Little nod to @porknbeaner

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

45 deg. Driving the 46 today to my buddy Ryan fix my shock mount. Turns out having a shock on only one side is a good way to create some bumps steer 6676AC50-9F83-46F6-B16C-55C957C1F6B2.jpeg

25. redzula

redzula

Lol what's life without a little excitement.

brEad, chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fair enough. Trouble shooting a charging issue now :p car always gets pissy when it hasn’t been driven for a minute

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  27. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

I've got occasional bump steer even without a bad shock mount! Gets your attention at speed! I'll try to resolve it with sway bars from www.1speedway.com.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Really? I’ve never had any at all it really surprised me when I hit that pot hole doing 60 lol

Got it all welded back together and back on the road. It’s a longer story than that but I’ll leave it at if you don’t think old cars have a personality then I don’t think you have old cars. Lol 3EABB7B7-74B5-440D-9274-CEDEB15388F2.jpeg B8343864-9AB5-4B2C-A38E-17618A2FD807.jpeg D7B41746-8E89-4611-AF89-A01200432111.jpeg 60421729-B433-4E0D-A73B-3BC7254F32B7.jpeg

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As an aside it does have a factory sway bar up front and I believe hamber @Weedburner 40 makes thicker than stock front and rear sway bars if your shopping

30. Yo, Tim...did you disconnect your alternator and battery before welding on the car? Could 'splain your charging issues. Gotta unhook that stuff. Something about diodes and all.
    The ol 46 looks so much better than it did on your wedding day. timsweddingcar.jpg

chryslerfan55, Tim and Stogy like this.