Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 w/ Powerglide won't budge.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjsound, Sep 4, 2019.

1. jjsound

jjsound

I have a 1954 235 and Powerglide. Independently I can bar them over by hand. Once I mate them together I can't get them to budge with prybar or starter. I'm on my second transmission thanks to some poor advice. I've had this engine in and out about 10 times now. Do any of you have any insight as to what may be causing this?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Sure, how did you assemble them? did you install the torque converter into the transmission, and make sure it's all the way in? or did you do it some other way?

you need to measure how far from the adapter the torque converter mount pads on the flexplate are, and then measure how far the pads on the converter are from the mounting surface of the bellhousing. Make sure there is some extra room.

if you did it any other way, you probably broke the front pump in the transmission.

3. jjsound

jjsound

Original came out and went back in. After removal the pump rotates by hand via torque converter.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I didn't provide enough detail.

Did you install the converter into the transmission first, and make sure it fits in all the way? There are a few sets of splines that need to engage. You check that it's in all the way, by measuring ..

When you bolt the transmission and engine together, before you bolt the converter to the flexplate, the converter should turn freely. Does it?

alanp561 and dana barlow like this.

5. jjsound

jjsound

I didn’t measure. Yes, the converter spins before bolting to flex plate.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. jjsound

jjsound

I think you’re providing plenty of information. I’m not processing well right now, frustrated with this car. It’s been six years of this.

7. squirrel

squirrel

oh, sorry to hear that.

then it might be something wrong with the engine itself?

You have the correct starter, that matches the flexplate? Up to 54 they used 6v starters and coarse teeth, starting 55 they used 12v starters and fine teeth. If the starter and flexplate don't match, it won't work. But I don't know if that's your problem, it's just one of the things that you have to make sure is correct.

alanp561 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Converter should drop in 2 times into the trans
    Two sets of splines
    When you bolt the engine and trans together
    You DONOT suck the bell housing into the back of the engine
    Use a tranny jack and get the trans alingned of the dowels then bolt it together.
    The torque converter should still spin easily before it’s bolted to the flywheel
    A 235 with no plugs in it should roll over by hand easily.

If this thing is jammed once it’s together
    You have an issue with the trans or maybe the engine.
    With the trans unbolted and grabbing the flywheel can you yank the crankshaft in and out more then a 16/ th or so?

Grabbing the pump drive on the transmission does it turn both ways with resistance but smooth?
    Or does it bind or feel gritty?

How are you installing this ?
    Any pics
    Why did you pull it originally and what’s been done?

alanp561 and jjsound like this.
  9. jjsound

jjsound

I think I’ll remove again tomorrow and look at each thing you guys mentioned above. I appreciate all the information. If it fails after that I’ll have a Chevy for sale, cheap.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When you get it apart, post some pictures of the back of the engine and the front of the transmission.
    The torque converter will spin freely even if is not all the way engauged.

11. ...pics of car also, please

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Look in the rear of the crankshaft - if it has a pilot bushing, remove it …..

Old wolf likes this.
  13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

When you install the Torque converter, you can put a straight edge across the front of the trans.
    The TC will be back away from the straight edge. You need this free play.
    Now when you bolt the trans up, you pull the TC up to the flex plate to bolt it.

One of those, dont ask me how I know this ... on a Ford it cost me the price of a front pump.

14. We might have a winner!

ottoman likes this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There's actually THREE "engagements" when installing the trans and engine together; first is the transmission input shaft splines engaging the converter turbine, then there's the stator support splines, and finally the pump gears with two drive tabs that engage the converter pump drive hub (there are other methods used here, but this is GM's way of doing it). Another consideration, do you have the right converter? It should be a "bolt-together" converter, but it also bolts to the flex-plate with some "special" fasteners. A more modern converter, say like one from an aluminum Powerglide, won't fit correctly, although some of the later cast iron Powerglides can use aluminum Powerglide converters. You've been fighting with this for 6 years? May be time to enlist a transmission tech; take them out to lunch or set up a date with your sister; just get some fresh eyes and hands on the project. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    X-cpe and firstinsteele like this.