Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I.D. Chrysler flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Kid, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Hi,
    Can any one I.D. this engine for me please. Is it a 23" or a 25" engine?
    Cheers,
    Stewart. 101.jpg 100.jpg

2. Measure the length of the head. I think most Chrysler's were 25" thought. ID number is on the left side of the block stamped near the top, that will tell you exactly what year. Doesn't look Chrysler to me though.

3. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

better look at it again... its not a Chrysler but a Ford flathead six. it has six head bolts around each cylinder and a 3 bolt thermostat flange.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The water pump tells me its not a Chrysler product.

5. squirrel

squirrel

look at this neat post I found on a Ford forum.

ford six.jpg

kidcampbell71 and s55mercury66 like this.
  6. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Well thank you guys. Thinking of running a flathead 6 of any denomination in my '26 roadster. Came across these 2 pictures during a search. Its on a '32 frame, so I'm assuming its 106" wheelbase. That's a lot of intrusion into the body for that wheelbase. Is the Ford 6 so much longer than a Chrysler 6?
    Thanks for the I.D. guys.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think that 254 might be bigger then a Chrysler since its a big truck engine,I have only seen one of them and its been many years ago and was in a 53 F600 or larger.

8. 73RR

73RR

Mopar L6 come in a variety of displacements and as mentioned both 23" and 25" heads (we will skip the 30" heads for this thread).
    All are good engines and make decent power for what they are. Parts are readily available.

Cosmo50 and Hnstray like this.
  9. Oil filler tube is in the wrong place for a Mopar 23 or 25 inch six.........also water pump and water temp fitting place indicate non mopar..............andyd

10. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Thanks guys, but Squirrel nailed it as a 264 Ford big six, a few posts up the page.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

11. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I have a 226 in my 41. The 254 and 226 used the same block I believe, but the 254 had a bigger stroke. You can use the 226 head on a 254 to increase compression. The problem with the Ford flathead 6 is the speed parts are hard to come by. So far only Reds Headers makes headers for this. Intakes are hard to come by, and when you do they are pricey. The distributor is the load-o-matic style, so you need the carb made for the distributor. You can convert a Chrysler slant 6 distributor. There were also two different styles of Ford 6. The G series and H series. G series were 41-47 and H series were 48 and later. I believe the H series was the better engine. Check out Van Pelts site:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm