Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Overdrive for a 34 Ford with original drivetrain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j-jock, Sep 3, 2019.

1. I have a bid in on a pretty 34 2dr with the original drivetrain. I don't know if it is the 21 stud or the 24 stud engine, but for this question it doesn't matter.
    Is there any overdrive that can be installed and still keep the closed driveshaft? I have never seen anything. I want to keep the car with the old school configuration and still be able to cruise at highway speed without being hard on the engine. It has a bunch of period pieces, like old aftermarket heads, twin 97s, and even a bypass oil filter. It looks great as is, and I would want to keep it that way.
    If that is not an option, has anyone adapted the T5 for a closed driveshaft?
    Bob

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Worth looking into a Mitchell overdrive. Made in CA by Mitchell mfg., these units install between the transmission and differential retaining closed driveline while offering the ability to split shift as well as overdrive. Wonderful people in this family run business.

I have one in my avatar and like it.

Texas Webb and j-jock like this.
  3. Excellent, thanks. This is one of those deals where I am going to have to sit on my hands until the deal closes, but that is the only immediate change I would want to make and I want to be ready.

I am only leaving my questions below because I had already posted the message, but I was able to find the contact an the installation information I needed by doing a search.
    Here is the link to one of the sellers:
    https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early/mitchell-overdrive-kit-ford.html

Original questions:
    Do you have a ballpark on the cost?
    Do you have to chop the driveline to install it?
    If it is convenient, I would appreciate it if you could post their contact information.
    Bob

4. Mitchell Overdrive or an old Columbia rear end. And yes, a T-5 has been adapted to the torque tube... do some searching over on The Ford Barn.

j-jock likes this.

5. Thanks, I'll have a look.
    Bob

6. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

You might also consider switching to a higher ratio rear end, e.g., 3.54.

7. Switching to a higher ratio rear end is an option, but I like the idea of the extra gear, and I'm not concerned about the extra cost of the overdrive or even a T5 conversion.
    I am not intending to make any other major changes to the car. I have the truck for that.
    In my advanced years, the only two cars that would prompt me to be insane enough to start another project, would be a 40 Deluxe or a 34, and this is just the baby that would do the job for me.

Bob

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

9. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i have columbia od's in 2 cars, if you get a columbia for your 34 i would get it bullit proofed and get 4.11 gears in rear, had a 34 2d w/columbia od and 3.78 grs, 17'' whls, and was not happy w/combo, had flthead w/mild cam.

j-jock likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

0AFC7C4E-559F-4162-86DE-87D4FBA1D2FC.jpeg That’s my luck, I had a Columbia on here for sale for quite a while, no sale, a lot of kickers, finally sold it, it went to Australia. I sold it cheap to fund my 427 long tube iron headers for my avatar!

Bones

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and j-jock like this.
  11. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Good luck! Highway speeds in todays world is 80 plus. interstate 80 out west is 85. Hard on any flathead. Just my opinion.

12. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I think I'd be just keeping of the freeways ,get yourself going to fast in a 34 and have to stop or avoid something at 80 mph its going to be all hands on deck let me give you the tip

13. Thanks for the info. I have read about the Columbia rearends, but have never seen one, nor did I know the history. Because of your posting, I read up on them. Quite a story.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. I would just need to go 65 to keep within the minimum speed rule. I wouldn't be doing any longer distances than about 300 miles, and even that would only be rarely. Even that would only be in excellent weather.
    I am aware of the mechanical brakes, and have owned and driven a couple of older Fords that had them.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

J-jock, a g
    J-jock there’s a guy over on the parts page that has a Columbia, complete for $1500! You would love that overdrive.... and it looks totally traditional! Easiest way to get an overdrive in your car. They are mainly 4:11 and 3:00 to one!

Bones

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A 4x4 T-5 might be a trans that could be adapted to a closed drive line.

17. Thanks Bones, I would jump on it if I was certain I was going to get the car. Someone had made an offer on the car that was not accepted or rejected, but it has prompted the seller to get a third party evaluation.
    So right now, I am in a situation where I am not assured whether the buyer with the first option will belly up after they find out what the car is valued at.
    I have to sit on my hands and wait.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Damn! I’ve been in those situations before! Sucks! But it will work out!

Bones

19. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

j-jock, I have phone nos for Mitchell: 800-859-2088 & 530-458-4500 from 10 years back. Whole family worked the business and Very willing to talk with you. Worth a call imho.

My apologies for the slow response!

Pete

20. No problem at all. Thanks Pete
    Bob

AVater likes this.
  21. Bones,
    I have to wait it out. I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Maybe, wanting this sedan is karma for all the ones I parted out for my projects when I was younger. Nobody wanted a sedan in those days, how times have changed.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.