Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup that’s the one!

I have one on its way from a friend but having another source is probably a good idea. Thank you!

waxhead likes this.
  2. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have bought lots of stuff from Third Gen. Always sucks a bunch of time when I sit down to peruse their current eBay auctions.

waxhead likes this.
  3. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And now I am rethinking my carb adapters. Those look way nicer. I am torn to run a pair of Rochester 1 barrels or a pair of Strombergs. I have 94s and 81s sitting here, so paid for is always good.

Tim likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing what you do man. Such a cool build!

5. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meh. I hate the thing right now. I sure wish I would just build a bolt together project once.

brEad likes this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah, I can certainly understand that.

Oh well, guess we’re all just sick in the head

7. redzula

redzula

First step is admitting the problem.

Second step is fixing and I'm nowhere near that stage yet
    Sent from my rotary phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I said I was sick, no one said anything about it being a problem lol

raven, drdave, Runnin shine and 2 others like this.
  9. redzula

redzula

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got the rear spring cleaned up and the tips rounded and picked up my super low posies front spring this morning.

Need another cost of paint on the rear leafs and it’s ready to tear into this weekend!

Just gotta find jack stands tall enough to reach :p 4D78F20E-8C13-4BAF-A6AC-A71C7C28DF28.jpeg 39F694FB-B3A3-4814-B315-838F469C455B.jpeg D7773E3D-5973-41F4-817F-ABD37D972CD0.jpeg Yay Hoo cup waiting to hitch a ride with @Rocky this morning to the drags :)

Stogy, drdave, Runnin shine and 2 others like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

“Progress” FCE4E142-9584-4D1A-8A30-21B2342B4CD8.jpeg a zillion hours into cleaning up the rear T leafs we zinged something off. Come to find that the stock T bushings have a hole in them that lines up with a hole in the spring eye and the shown above Oiler presses in. A little spring loaded lid flaps open to oil the bushing!

Kinda neat, looks like older ones have a screw in cap. I’ll probably order some the next time I get stuff. Wont use them for oiling but I think they are to neat to not keep. 1366FEEA-130D-44D5-8114-7D8C81B39871.jpeg New posies pack laying next to the main leaf of the pack I had in 3FB1531C-3962-4AA8-8A3E-FDDA2B8FCF3D.jpeg noticed the posies pack don’t come with spring clamps. Guess I’ll buy a set when I get some for the rear.

Got the old spring taken apart and out pretty easy other than trying to figure out how to get tall enough jack stands to hold it up. I ended up using some osha approved 2x4’s. Not sure what I’ll do in back. Guess I’ll scroll back a dozen pages and see what I did last time 97E1C61A-86C5-4A9B-8FCC-CC667E138210.jpeg mocked it up for shits and grins. Also forgot to grab bushings for the front and back springs. I called and Pete and Jakes will have them on the counter for pickup. D6D59AEB-A4DF-494B-8AC2-693A816F6F62.jpeg On that note the bushings in the T spring needed vacated. I was all set with my favorite king pin/ drift when I realized I have something for this ED0201AA-C746-480F-B9B0-74B8666088CD.jpeg mushroomed together the center lump pushes the bushing out A2BA6D84-C738-4FAD-8B87-9BFEEA552FA4.jpeg slide it in, hold it with some channel locks and 5 or so swings with a big hammer and they are out!

Stogy, brEad, Inked Monkey and 5 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well this morning we ran down to Pete and Jakes for some spring eye bushings.

Got the front spring loaded- much much nicer product than the speedway ones I used on the other spring- and got it bolted back to the car.

I think I need the smallest of spacers to get the clamp to draw tight as it’s bottoming in the cross member but I think the spring is all the way into the pocket. Hard to tell if it’s got the tie bolt in the hole but it seems pretty even side to side and it made. A big racket when it landed so for my purposes I think it’s close enough. Not like this isn’t going to come back apart more times than I want to before it hits the road lol.

Aaaaaanyhow. Quite a bit lower! Very happy with the super low posie spring so far. I’m debating wether the frame needs a notch to clear the spring travel or not.

These don’t move all that much, but i think I’ll go ahead and do it anyways. If the spring settles as much as the one on my 46 did I’ll be happy I did it while the car looks like this and not all together.

3EAAEC6C-50EB-4AD9-BEC1-DF89B22E893F.jpeg
    That being said this is roughly where it landed. 7 even from the chin/splash pan.

Things to keep in mind for those playing along at home. 500/525:16 wheels. The car has a heavy nose down rake and is currently on dollies so it may come up a tad when I drop the rear down.

Also! I’m using 46 wishbones so the car is automatically ... let’s say 3/4 of an inch give o take taller than the same set up with A bones because the yoke is thicker.

If it really needs to come down another inch and the spring doesn’t do that eventually. You could stick it in a mill and chop it down and put the 60 -I think - degree taper back in for the perch pin and have down that much.

Gonna get after the rear tonight/ this week. Photos don’t seem worth while st the moment but I’m sure I’ll take 700 when it does come time

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah buddy!

Tim likes this.
  14. flatout51

flatout51

If the front spring gets you low enough spring clamps wont fit. They'll hit the crossmember. Just a thought. You're gonna have a nice little car man.

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and Tim like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ah your right! Probably why they are sold separate!

Right before I went to bed last night I snuck down and got the back of the car on jack stands , those 900 pound 750’s pulled off and the banjo/rear spring dropped down.

Hoping it’s low enough that I can take the spring apart and put the new one back on/together with out having to pull it out from under the car.

brEad, Stogy, drdave and 2 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ugh tie bolt nut is NOT coming off. But must have mushroomed a bit or the the threads distorted when I tightened it down?

I’ll cut it off with a hack saw tonight.

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Out of curiosity @flatout51 @drdave how much space do you guys have between the top of the spring pack and the bottom of the frame rail at the inside edge of the frame rail? I think I’m about and inch and a half at the moment.

I can’t see that part of the spring moving that much if the ends are only going to see 1.5 even in heavy use? Just debating the notch while I wait for hardware for the back spring.

With the one fender on the car it looks like the edge of the fender is even with the little ridge/flash line under the pie crust on the front wheels so it’s tucking a good amount but nothing insane.

flatout51 and Stogy like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Right there. Can barely see if, it’s not a molded in like more of a process of production line 1D8D8321-2B30-4826-99D0-439644587760.jpeg

Stogy likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

7F43076A-A27F-463A-BDE4-9AF55D827D99.jpeg Judging from other photos of this car I should be very close if not exactly like this when the back comes down and everything settles a little

kidcampbell71, brEad, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  20. That’s a great stance right there. You get close to that and you are golden.

Not sure how much clearance I have spring to frame. I’m out of town this weekend, but I will measure when I get back and let you know. Drove it for the first time the other day after adding a leaf back to my rear spring. No banging in the back that I could tell, but I do bottom out somewhere in the front very occasionally. Of course, I hit bottom in the Merc and the Chevy ALL the time, so the occasional hit in the A seems like a million miles of clearance to me. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha I believe that

22. flatout51

flatout51

I haven't even looked at it since getting back from the hamb drags... haha! I'll try and get you a picture and measurement this week.
    Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

cool man.

Almost got the car back on the ground today. Hit some stumbles. Might get it yet tonight while everyone’s asleep

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You know the car is way lower when you have to find a new angle to shoot it from lol FABF53EE-4BA0-460F-803A-8AC6E65912C2.jpeg
    Got both new springs in the A. Jacked it as high as I could and dropped it straight down.

Picked up everything that fell off and measured.

Tucking 1 3/4” up into the front fenders, 1 3/4” gap from the top of the tire to the fender edge in back.

Neither accounting for the crown of the tire.

Perfect :) will probably settle some. Haven’t tightened down the U bolts with spacers yet either

25. Sounds perfect!

Tim likes this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Scored some waaaaaaay better fenders at greaserama and packed them into the back of the Subaru along with 5 people lol. C4F7B3CF-0ECE-4D19-A540-AB2316C5750F.jpeg 47012E0F-032D-45B0-B524-AAB8531E9263.jpeg “Naw they’ll fit”

It’s even harder now to get a photo of the stance in the garage but I’ll get the U bolts on, the steering put together and roll it out with the new fenders on for the outside photos as soon as feasible. Couple weeks?

27. Those fenders look pretty mint. Nice score.

Tim likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah they’ve got a ding here and there but overall pretty nice, I’m super excited about them

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Forgot to add I ended up using the 5 T leafs I ended up with via @drdave and the top A leaf from my existing pack. Just painted it black and put it on. Didn’t mess with the curve at all, looked like it was supposed to be there outside of the extra width.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  30. Those fenders look great!!!

Yeah, those top couple A leaves fit fine enough without any reshaping. I started reshaping at the longer ones, like maybe number 3 or 4 from the top

Tim likes this.