Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHEAP and Great Alternative Coil Springs '49 thru '59 Ford and Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Couple of shots with the CC850 springs... too low for my car.
    42-010.JPG 42-011.JPG

2. ThatMerc64

ThatMerc64

I am looking to pick up a '54 4 door Monterey. Just so I understand, its the Aerostare springs in the front and 3 inch blocks on the leaf springs? I haven't actually seen the suspension on one of these yet ha. Just doing some research. Thanks

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

56 stock and AeroStars. 103_0909.JPG

4. Crisman Strunk

Crisman Strunk

My Dad has had a 51 Ford Custom for over a decade now but problems with his hip makes it hard for him to work the clutch so I have possession of it right now. He has kept everything pretty much stock but I've talked him into letting me customize it a bit as long as I don't get too radical. ;) I was looking at lowering it when I came across this thread. I've read through it all and have a little information overload. To make sure I've gotten stuff straight:

I'm going to use coil springs from a 90 Aerostar with Monroe PN 5821 shocks up front. I'm wanting to use lowering blocks for the back. I was thinking about a 3" lowering block but suspect it might be best to see how much the front setup lowers it before deciding as I want the car to be level. If that works out, what shocks have you guys used for the back?

Also, the steel wheels currently on it are 15 X 7s so I was going to put 15 X 7 Torque Thrusts on it. I was debating what size tires would work with those wheels after lowering it or will I need smaller size wheels?

Great community. I've read a lot of threads here over the years but never joined.

5. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

55 Merc w/Aerostar springs. Havent touched the back yet. Shes sitting real low im almost scared to drop the rear its hard enough to clear the angle of the driveway already
    IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_8603.JPEG

The second pic is about 6 months after new springs, think it dropped another inch from top photo to bottom

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  6. John Macchia

John Macchia

I have a 1950 mercury with a 350 Chevy engine. I installed the Aerostar coils and the Monroe shocks, the stance is great! On a smooth road it’s great but on a slightly bumpy road the car is real bouncey Any suggestions?

7. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

Was it bouncy before the spring/shock swap? bouncy usually means shocks...but sounds like you installed brand new ones?

8. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Anyone know if the aerostar springs will work on a 57 lincoln capri?

9. Ive got Aerostars upfront and I lowered the rear on my 54’ this weekend with 2” blocks on really sagged springs, which I believe has equated to about 3 1/2”-4" from stock. Now I’ve got horrible noises at takeoff and under load. I only drove it around the block.....I live in the mountains, and when coming uphill it was horrible unless I let off the gas. It actually was hitting the end of one of the back seat, center seatbelt bolts on the first attempt. I ground that down and sprayed fresh black paint on the tunnel and drive shaft and tried again. Its not hitting anymore...just horrible popping like noise under load. I think its that my driveline angle is on the brink of binding the u joint at rest. So, under torque (load) the axle wraps on the soft springs and raised height (further out from the fulcrum now) and the u joint is in a bind, or its hitting the tunnel and I'm not seeing it. I also wonder if strapping the leaf spring pack would lessen the axle wrap, if it is the case.I would measure the angles to correct, but obviously the pinion and trans angles havent changed, they are only further from each other in altitude causing the drive shaft to be at a more extreme angle. Wish I had a GoPro camera that I could put under the car! lol. My Wife told me "You made it look cooler and undriveable for now....good job, Babe" Anyway, here’s some pics....cause we all love pics. Any shared experience with a healthy drop would be appreciated. I'll be jacking with it again this weekend. front now.jpg rear now.jpg

deluxester likes this.
  10. dmoz

dmoz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm taking the plunge..going with the aerostars on my 1950 Merc...had to disassemble everything to get it cleaned up..it appears this thing was buried a sand dune for some time.. the aerostars are about 3-4" shorter than the stock coils.. IMG_20201006_162504_423.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deluxester likes this.
  11. Spooky

Spooky

Howza folks!
    Well, would these ford on a 61-66 Lincoln?

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can measure the OD of the stock spring and the OD of a wire coil that way I could tell you if they are the same as an AeroStar. …… Length and car weight your on your own.

There are also urethane end spacers that fit off Toyota pickups. I have a 1/4” On one side and a 3/8” on the other to make mine level.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  13. rubbershox

rubbershox

I love to read these information. but i would like to aone me thing about cars and their suspension system. it will be great if the suspension system of the car is good. Thormoplastic Rubber material will be best option of suspension system. Rubber Bump stop will be a good option

miker98038 likes this.
  14. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

All, following the earlier comments in this thread, I installed Aerostar springs in the front of my 57’ 300 sedan in the spring of 2019. I rebuilt the entire front suspension with stock replacement parts. The rear springs are original and need new bushings. The rear looks high in these pictures but it is the slope of my driveway. I like to not see the top of the tire-no open space above it. One inch of my front tire is up in the well and no rubbing on turns or angles. Rear 235x75x15, front 225x75x15. 351windsor with aC-4. Thanks for all of the input on this thread. It drives and rides excellent. B2443AFC-D19C-4ECE-B841-A73EBFB057E7.jpeg 6A51CD36-C34A-4810-B14E-707245E04918.jpeg

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perfect rake for 50’s cars. I’m not a fan of level low…all Fordswill sag in the rear over time. They are a long spring.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Fairlane Dave, the guy who actually figured out that this would work, hasn't been here in almost 10 years. I wonder if he realizes how many cars he helped to customize by sharing this one post with all of us. Impressive.

I'm also thinking about buying a set of these for my Merc project now, even though I don't need them right at this moment, considering the Aerostar is well over 30 years old at this point and it's hard to say how long those springs are going to be available yet.

leon bee likes this.
  17. Dan1982

Dan1982

Hey guys!

About to do this swap wondering if anyone needed an alignment after?

Thanks!

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had mine aligned after installing the AeroStars and yes it needed it. That was 4-5 years ago. Fine since.

19. X2 on the need to align afterwards. I installed mine probably 10 years ago now and still no issues other than the need to rebuild my front end...but, that is just because it never has been.

jimmy six likes this.
  20. I aligned mine after cutting the OG springs and putting them back in. The car rides very straight and turns well considering no PS.