Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing mesh from Hilborn MFI 6A nozzles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jugheadjones, Sep 3, 2019.

1. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Hi all,

Would removing the mesh from inside my Hilborn 6A nozzles cause any flow issues, or have any negative effects? I’m assuming it’ll increase flow.

Here’s a pic for reference. [​IMG]

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I believe the mesh helps atomize the fuel. if you want to increase the flow , raise the fuel pressure or go with a bigger nozzle.

kidcampbell71, 427 sleeper and Deuces like this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Of course the mesh is meant to catch trash before it plugs the nozzle. If you want more flow, why don't you get bigger nozzles? Or if that's your thing, drill yours.

4. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

I’m trying to clean my nozzles and if I remove the mesh I’ll be able to clean them so much easier. I don’t want to increase or decrease flow, just wondering if I remove mesh (for cleaning purposes), will this effect anything?

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Enderle nozzles do not run screens, a lot of dirt track racers remove them for ease of maintence and to eliminate them plugging. most small trash just blows thru the orifice, anything bigger and plugging the nozzle, you need to up you maintence game. The deflector tip break up the stream enough for atomazion , straight thru would need screens

jugheadjones likes this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

What type of fuel?????

7. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

8. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

Thank you!

9. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

I can’t see how you’d replace the mesh without separating the 2 piece nozzle that’s been soldered.

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

100_2765.JPG Do yourself a favor and switch to enderle nozzles and holders, the holders stay with the manifold and does not wear out the threads, The nozzles easily are removed for cleaning and/or changing the nozzle area and they are cheap @$7.00 ea, vs $30 for Hilborns. Hilborn plays with fuel pressure to tune, Enderle is a both nozzle area and pump pressure. FYI Holley Ind just bought Hilborn, how that's going to affect the racers IDK

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    jugheadjones likes this.
  11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If you have to run Hilborns with the screens, Harbor Freight sells a "sonic cleaner" that does a pretty good job of getting them real clean

Deuces and jugheadjones like this.
  12. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

That’s a massive difference in cost re nozzles. Definitely worth looking at indeed. I’ll get it running with the Hilborn nozzles first and look at swapping them out.

I think I’ll remove the screens altogether. A nightmare to clean otherwise. Especially going forward.

Interesting to see what happens to Hilborn with the acquisition of Holley.

Thanks for your help.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

14. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's not a big deal to unsolder the tips and then put them back. Propane torch works fine. When I was making the injection mainafold for my Dodge I decided I wanted to point the slot differently than they were. In that case I just heated them and rotated them without removing them. But then I decided to use brass JIC fittings. Drill them for the Hilborn tip and after that I could use regular AN fittings instead of the Hilborn thread. Worked OK. So I made some tips of my own. Never tried them. Looked good. Would have neede some time with a flow bench to see how I did.

jugheadjones likes this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good filter will help a lot....with 80% the holes in the nozzles are big enough to let just about anything through them and you don't need any screens.....:rolleyes:

17. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

I like it!

18. jugheadjones

jugheadjones

When I have some spare time I’d like to separate one and have a look. A fun little excuse to loose some time