Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Making a beltline for model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Thanks, I havnt seen all that much info on the particular issue. Originally it wasn’t something I planned to do but as the car has been getting better,I figured it was time to just do it

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  2. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

hooligan: nice job, how are you fastening it to the body?
    Rich

Stogy likes this.
  3. That is posted in the thread

There are studs welded to the back of the belt line

Stogy likes this.
  4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Looks good!

Stogy likes this.
  5. Thanks, much appreciated. This final product was the result of a few attempts.

Stogy likes this.
  6. 51box

51box
    from MA

That came out really nice good job. I did something similar with my special coupe belt line. Before final prime I used some 2 part panel bond to seal it up to the body so water can’t get between and mess up the paint later.

Stogy likes this.
  7. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

8. That's really cool. I never thought to do something like that. Much better trick than layered Bondo.

This looks amazing! What did you use to make the trim that goes up the roof?

Stogy likes this.
  9. Scotch buzzard king- For the strips that go up the roof I used some 3/8 by 3/16 flat stock. Rounded the edges same as the strip I used for the belt line.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Wow! That's really effective. Your car looks amazing! I'm going to use this for my coupe. Yours is the best conversion I've seen yet.

Stogy and model A hooligan like this.
  11. You know,I really appreciate that comment.thank you. That part of the car always bothered me. It just never looked quite right without it. It was a struggle. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t take a few tries.

Rich B. and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks Great Hoodlum...:confused:...I mean Hooligan...:D...I wonder where that fits on the Hoodlum Scale...Maybe it's based on winning races...The Black looks good too...your journey is coming together...

brady1929 likes this.
  13. Thanks, it’s my first full body work and paint. I’ve done both before but never on something that needed so much work

honestly this car wasn’t fit to be built. It was almost too far gone but I really wanted a hotrod haha

Stogy likes this.
  14. Some pictures of the various stages. Belt line really made a difference. This started out as a ‘special’ coupe

6560609C-CC23-4561-899D-2565E3C105FB.png 008BE52D-C1EE-41DD-B420-873393FB8FD5.png 2C409848-B813-4131-A00F-24E6D0281D30.png

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  15. 035.jpg.cf.jpg[1].jpeg

I've had this picture for a while, and I never noticed that it is a converted Special Coupe from the 1950s-1960s. What gives it away is the belt line below the rear window that goes no where.

16. 20180908_192705[1].jpg

This one is mine. Got a little bit to go. ;)

17. yeah probably because that bend around the corners bends down and around. it was a bit of a chore for me to get both those bends in a solid piece, of you cut it a bunch of times it may be easier but then all the grinding And trying to get it to look smooth seems not so fun