Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Making a beltline for model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Jul 1, 2019.

1. so I’ve searched and only came up with one guy that posted how he did his, I’m looking at tips on this. I’ve got a 29 special that I’ve pretty much converted to a coupe and I’m missing the belt line that goes along the bottom of the roof. I welded the roof right to the car but I’m in the middle of bodywork and would like to add a beltline

I don’t have fancy tools,so far all I can think of is electrical conduit,somehow cutting it in half and bending that around the car

I’ve been looking only for some ‘half round’ but all I see is stuff that I can’t have shipped and it’s for boats. Wondering if anyone has found anything that I haven’t seen yet

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A pic or two could be helpful to get the complete idea of where you are at right now.

Stogy likes this.

3. As I mentioned I don’t have a belt line, the roof is welded on and I need to fabricate a belt line to attach to the car.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Bead roller. Before you weld the roof on.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have what's left of an original belt line for a special, have any roadster stanchions to trade??

Stogy likes this.
  6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

bead roll or pullmax stamp it... we made a whole rear beltline of the cab where the roof and lower body meet on the back panel of the sedan... pullmax dies with a little English wheel to start the panel shape... almost 100% factory...

Stogy likes this.
  7. @sloppy jalopies has a cowl band trick that I can't remember the details to ... but whatever year it comes from, lines up with what you need it for ... piecing together your roof specifics.

Sloppy Jalopies to the house phone ...

tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  8. No,but I might be willing to buy it

9. I’ll send him a message,thanks for the lead

Stogy likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, I've heard you can take a 30-31 cowl band and the profile is very similar. The contour will need to be rebent, but that will still be easier than rolling something from scratch. Were there steel cowl bands on pickups? They could be welded easily if needed.

Tim and Stogy like this.
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I had a similar problem with my special coupe. The person who upholstered it also used to redo vinyl tops back in the day. Essentially she molded aluminum vinyl roof trim to fit. Behind the trim are some plastic snap receivers nailed to the old wooden frame under the metal roof panels. 84278BE5-7412-48B8-A3D6-0070F8D141D0.jpeg
    As noted above, it could be possible to bump/bend some trim as I have had done for me with some stainless for another purpose. These strips are 5/8” wide. I was able to bend this stuff laterally (carefully) and would think bending the other way would be easier.

661EF828-3A27-4C2F-979C-01734D518AAF.jpeg

hfh, gnichols, irishsteve and 4 others like this.
  12. Where can I find that stuff? And can I get it in a 7ft length? I don’t want seams

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  13. irishsteve and Stogy like this.
  14. I don’t mind reproduction. My car isn’t that nice,I might go that route. That’s affordable

By the way fellas, thanks for the positive ideas you all are giving

AVater and Stogy like this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

a '30-'31 one ton truck cowl band is made of steel not stainless, easier to work with and to paint...
    I laid one over the rear cockpit of a sport coupe... the radius is very close...
    you would need 2 to have enough straight sections to span the rear...
    the bands are sort of tapered front to rear to cover the cowl as it dips inward to let the hood set flush...
    this lets the front edge of the band set against the roof panel then the difference set slightly further back onto the quarter... pm me for more insight...

16. The one posted above from macs isn’t long enough?

17. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Restoration Supply has "half oval" steel & aluminum stock in bulk length.
    google restorationstuff.com catalog - page 28

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the rear of the cockpit is wider than the cowl... go look ...

19. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Model A H: if you are asking about the aluminum trim on my top, pm me and I can send you the phone no if the person who did my top. Any shop replacing vinyl tops (does anyone do that?) should have access to the aluminum trim. If you are asking about the stainless trim, I had a local metal shop bump pieces for me. I would imagine someone near you could do that.

20. That’s awesome! They have it in half oval and even in steel, I’ll call and ask about shipping. That looks like that could be a winner

Might go with aluminum though because I could probably bend that much easier, could drill and tap it and drill holes in the bottom of the roof

21. I ordered the 3/4 aluminum in 8ft. Shipping was 30$ but for under 100$ I guess I can’t conplain. My factory belt line on the quarters is 7/8 so 3/4 should be close enough and be easier to bend in aluminum.

22. If you're planning on molding/painting the aluminum to 'blend' into the steel body, I'd be concerned about the different expansion rates between steel and aluminum.

23. I thought about that,but I’m in CA, it doesn’t get too extreme. And,it’s also just a hotrod not a award queen.

24. Wanted to go an update since this issue don’t seem to be talked about too much on here. I looked forever and didn’t find hardly anyone that’s had to do this (yes a few have) but hoping this may help some one

I got some 3/17 x1 flat bar, grinded the edges down to make a radius. Made a jig to put bends into the flat bar, then bent it around the car. I made a template but that didn’t work out so well so I just went for it.

Used some small bolts,grinded the heads off, did some halfway drilling into the bar and welded the studs in. NOTE: before I did that I clamped the bar around the car and drilled the car from the inside out and that put a small mark on the bar so I’d know where to put the studs. I’m not completely finished but it is turning out decent.

Attached Files:

25. I"d be concerned about paint sticking to aluminum.You can treat it with a acid prep,but aluminum can make paint flake.Might look good polished as trim.

26. Uhm..... there’s no aluminum

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you had posted pic's earlier, I could have understood what you were seeking, as I did a similar thing on my Model Tudor roof line.
    I used aluminum with tapped threaded rod to continue my existing beltline in to a kind of rain gutter.
    We used etch primer for aluminum before painting and it has stayed on since the mid 1980's.
    The aluminum was easier to bend/shape than steel and was all hand filed to create the profile, which is something I would not consider doing these days, since it took a lot of time and patience.

Red Tudor 004.jpg

Attached Files:

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Probably referring to when you said you had ordered the 8ft of aluminum

29. Wanted to make an update of how the belt line turned out,also made the trim that goes up the roof. My model A ‘special’ now looks like a coupe

Attached Files:

RICH B, fiftyv8, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  30. raven

raven

Wow that looks clean. I like this idea as I have to do the same thing on my coupe.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.