Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955 CHEVROLET DRAG RACE CAR

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1947ford, Aug 26, 2019.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

...of course 4 of those T70s wouldnt be bad either:cool:
    upload_2019-8-28_21-41-56.png

2. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I would put it in the condition it was in the 70s when you had the chance to drive it, freshen the paint, then install the Tunnel ram and Pontiac rear. IMHO the 70s was the hay day of the tri-five Chevys because enough of them were around yet and as 15 year old cars were starting to increase value :rolleyes:
    In 1973 at 18 years old could have bought a solid primered 55 Chevy post with a healthy V8 and 3 speed Hurst for sale asking $1500.00. Banks would not borrow you much money for 17 year old cars in those days but a 4 year old car no problem, so bought a 69 Impala for $1700.00, should have kept my 64 Chevelle that I was driving through High school.

benchseat4speed and enloe like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

A set of Cragar SS wheels and check over the mechanicals.

THEN ENJOY THE EVER LOVING PISS OUT OF IT :)

benchseat4speed and Tickety Boo like this.
  4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

What did it look like 30 years ago? What did it look like when you fell in love with it?

I'd drive the wheels off it until winter (especially those front wheels).

flyin-t and enloe like this.
  5. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Generally speaking, I’m not really into telling people what I think they should do with their car... First and foremost, I think this is a bitchin car as is and would only make minimal changes granted that the mechanicals are up to snuff.. Clean it up, fresh tires, maybe paint the rear wheels or match the fronts and that’s about it..

6. 6sally6

6sally6

What's NOT to like?
    It looks like a real 1/4 mile "vet" so don't mess with it although..........if driving on the street I bet that scoops gonna be hard to see around when you make a right hand turn!
    6sally6

enloe likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In 1970 while in high school I put a "Grumpy Lump" scoop on my 57 Chevy, had no problem seeing around it, though my eyes were much better then.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

First thing is get the rubber stuff replaced, brake lines, gas lines, hoses, master cylinder and wheel cylinders, etc. Check out the engine thoroughly and get it running. Than sand and at least epoxy primer it, maybe even go as far as a cheap single stage paint job, something to protect the metal from further deterioration. I hate to see a vehicle with a sound body coated in rust and faded out paint, looking like it's headed to the scrap pile. All this patina crap looks like the junkers the welfare folks drove when I was a kid, all they could afford I guess, but it labeled them, when you saw one coming you knew what was driving it. Just my two cents, probably not worth that to anybody but me.....

belair, Old wolf and loudbang like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I guess you guys don't know about how rust works in Tucson. You can leave it sitting out, and it will be fine for another 30 years...except for the water that gets down into the bottom of the doors. quarters, and fenders, where that little pile of dirt has built up over the years.

If you take a car like that and park it indoors most of the time, it will stay in the same condition basically forever.

10. I much prefer black primer over Patina. I knew a guy in the 60,s had a maroon 57 chevy. nary a speck of rust out or dirt. kept it clean and waxed. mag wheels and shiney chrome. However it looked like shit because the old lacquer paint had been buffed away and it had what they now call patina. The girls never wanted to be seen riding in it. He traded it off and got a real pretty 64 impala convertible. and then drove around with the top down and a car full of females.

enloe likes this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like Patina, guess its ok if some dont;)

12. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The patina is beautiful - don’t clear over it that would wreck the true patina and I think look stupid. As squirrel stated above if you keep the car indoors it will keep that amazing finish forever. That patina should be preserved without putting anything on top of the weathered finish.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

did it have nice paint on it in the 70's when you fell in love with it? I would paint it and make it nice, but not alter its 70's heritage. I don't understand why people like patina, patina is neglect. I can't wait for the whole patina thing to be over..... but to each their own...

-Brent-, belair, BamaMav and 9 others like this.
  14. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd go thru the brakes(at least new master,wheel cylinders)check all hoses,rubber tuneup and drive less traveled roads.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

X 2 Awesome score and persistance !

loudbang likes this.
  16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Yes this !

loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Looking at your avatar, I would say you know what is right ! Nice 57 !

loudbang likes this.
  18. Mike

Mike

"Patina" is just a nice way of saying shitty, old paint. I'd rather have a car with nice paint. Now I don't mind driving one with shitty, old paint, but I don't see that as something to be sought after.

Putting nice paint on a car, then sanding and rubbing on it until it looks like shitty, old paint is another story. That's just dumb.

belair, loudbang, enloe and 3 others like this.
  19. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I like it as it is, but its not my car. What do you want to do? As for Patina, I cant afford paint, so my car will be keeping its 79 year old paint and touch ups.

benchseat4speed likes this.
  20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Scrub it down with CLR and give it a nice hand wax job. Replace the rubber and get it running and then read the thread on how to do a burnout, and see if it will do it!

alanp561 and fourspeedwagon like this.